Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Where is the coldest place that you have ever been?

jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 755 OTT
edited May 16 in The weather
where is the coldest place that you have been to?

It seems that I am here in the coldest place in Britain..

http://jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/05/glasgow-is-the-coldest-and-wettest-city-in-the-uk.html

Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• mounamouna Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭
    Here in Algeria,the weather isn't so cold,I have been in a city that's called Batna in the est of Algeria which is cold in winter.When I went to the university 07 am,it's freezing,my teeth chatter, and my fingers turn numb
  • SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    In UK weather is often cold but once I went to Canada in winter, It was freezing cold when we were going out.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,080 mod
    I once visited Moscow in the middle of January when it was -30 C during the day.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,661 mod
    The coldest place where Iˋve ever been was in a bedroom here in the house, where I had to use during my childhood.
    The room was up in the attic and whenever we (my sister) spoke to each other the air that came out of our mouths were visible and the nose felt so cold.
    Why on earth isnˋt it possible to do any correction here on my last post?
    Even the wooden floor was coverd with a kind of Laminat; very stiff, very slippery and it had the attribute to store all the cold in the room. Each single winter morning was as a test of courage to ranning barefood over it.

The summer were so hot up there. But none of the children were ever complaining about the refreshing conditions. It can be the reason why weˋre all so in good condition. The room beside was taken by my two brothers. Fingers crossed for remaining so.
    I've been told it gets very cold in the winter here in southern Turkey. There's no central heating which doesn’t help.
    Poor you @Marianne, if your bronichas call you up than it is time for doing something.
    The coldest place I have ever been to was Moscow in the middle of January once, where it was minus 30 degrees centigrade during the daytime (@dope!). The second coldest place I ever went to was Leh in Ladakh in February when at night once it fell to minus 26 degrees.
  • dopedope Posts: 94 ✭✭
    Hi There is everywhere is gold in Russia ))) But the coldest place here is Siberia definitely it goes below -45))
    not gold but cold. But i think there is enough of gold also hahahah
    How are you in Nepal?
    @dope, hi, do you live in Siberia? Tell us more about you. I live in the middle of Europa, we have four seasons: spring, summer, autumn and winter. Weˋre about to entering autumn.
    @dope have you ever been to Siberia? I would like to go but I'm not sure I want to be there in the winter.

Nepal is warmer than I would like as the monsoon hasn't quite finished.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge, @Hermine ,
    I can shed some light on the Siberian climate and how it feels (more precisely on the Krasnoyarsk’s climate, which is a rather mild place in Siberia).

A yearly minimum is -36-40C. One year there was -45 and that was a bit above the capabilities of the city’s infrastructure. I didn’t experience this personally, only my parents. Such low temperatures usually stay for 10 days (more or less) in the middle of January. The mean winter temperature is -15C, at this time the streets are covered by hard-packed snow and I like it more than the Moscow winters because shoes and trousers stay clean. If one’s car has studded tires driving is quite manageable.

The temperature itself doesn’t say it all about how one feels outdoors. Wind speed and relative humidity mean a lot. That’s why you can often see so-called ‘felt temperature’ in a weather forecast. The more humid the weather is the colder (or hotter) one feels. The good thing about Krasnoyarsk, as well as about the most of Siberia, is that the relative humidity there is 10% lower than in Moscow, it means that -30 in Moscow equals -40 in Krasnoyarsk. That’s why Siberians coming to Moscow feel cold at lower temperatures.

If there is summer when you don’t wear a jacket outdoors then summer in Krasnoyarsk lasts for July only. June and August are about +15. One first week of June I saw snow in low places in a forest 60 km west from Krasnoyarsk.

An important thing is abrupt day temperature changes. I remember one day of July where there was +11 at 6 a.m. and +30 at 11 a.m. The grass in the morning was quite wet with dew, so had to wear wellies. These changes kill a fruit-tree blossom during springs, that’s why apple-trees, cherries, plums, which are common in the European part of Russia can’t bear fruit, though they survive themselves. The vegetation period is too short for tomatoes what makes people pick the fruits while they are green. They turn red shortly stored in warm and dry places. These gardening difficulties add much to the Siberian reputation of a cold area.

Of course, there are local species like sea-buckthorn which give small orange berries. These berries are quite sweet and used for drinks and jam, and the oil is made from the seeds is used in folk medicine. Minced bird cherries are used to stuff sweet pies.
    Seabuckthorn grows here in Nepal and in Ladakh too @Practical_Severard. However here it is more due to the altitude where it is cold enough than because much of the country is that cold. I really like it. It is a wonderful tonic but unfortunately rarely makes it down to Kathmandu.

In Ladakh during the summer months the temperatures can reach +30 degree, but in winter they can drop to minus 20 or colder.