Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How else to say "brainstorming"?

WirginiaWirginia Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
Can you help me? I have a problem with one word. How else to say "brainstorming"?

Best Answers

• PaulettePaulette Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    @Wirginia I think you can also say:" Spitting ideas". If we wanted to do something new at our school then we asked who has ideas? Come and throw them on the table. And so we created new learning styles or ways of student approaches etc.
  • nadjibnadjib Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    i love this idea and i usually use it in teaching maths and physics its really usefull
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,478 mod
    Accepted Answer
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    If we say brainstorming then I think it is bringing different people's thoughts together to get a good solution or to create something new!
    Maybe I am wrong!
  • jhoy16jhoy16 Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    @Lynne. Thank you for the article's link. I can't think of reasons why they used the words "thought shower".

Answers

• WirginiaWirginia Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Paulette thank you so much :)
  • WirginiaWirginia Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @Lynne
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,055 mod
    You might want to pick someone's brain @Wirginia. This is more usually when you are asking about something in particular that you think the person you're asking knows something about.

For example, my friends are just back from Portugal where I want to go, so I might want to pick their brains on where there are some good places to stay.
  • zaiymurszaiymurs Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    I used to use this word many times before, i've to brainstorming with my colleagues in order to be able to came out for new ideas on our clients projects.
  • zaiymurszaiymurs Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    I think Brainstorming is sounds more pleasant to my ears and easily to pronunce rather then Thought Shower.
  • jhoy16jhoy16 Posts: 36 ✭✭
    It is a word commonly use in classroom. When a teacher says to brainstorm, it means to think deeper and to dig deeper. You have to read between the lines.