Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Eyebrows

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,170 mod
edited May 12 in Health and Beauty
@Frank and I were discussing his new article for the English magazine, it's about smiling, and we got to talking about eyebrows and how they can be used to express emotion.

In the UK, there is a trend to shave off your eyebrows. Now I know what you're thinking, but it's a bit of a craze, and what's really funny is that people then pencil them back on. (I would like to point out that whilst I do pluck my eyebrows I have never shaved them. I did take a pair of scissors to them once, but that's a different story. You can ask me in TGIF one day.)

I found this interesting article Frank.

https://thetab.com/uk/2017/02/23/i-completely-shaved-off-eyebrows-ill-never-look-back-33894
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,675 mod

Thank you for a very interesting article @Lynne. I have to say I am bemused by this fashion. There was a girl in my Italian class a few weeks back who'd done this to her eyebrows. In my opinion it looked rather odd and whilst she was quite attractive, she would have been much more beautiful with 'normal' eyebrows. Some girls I've seen look positively hideous with them. And this is before it starts raining!

It's all the rage in Asia and many other places too. To be honest I think it looks a bit vulgar rather than beautiful, but that's probably me just being old fashioned. There's a lot of useful information in real eye brows that must be lost by shaving them off.

Each to their own.
    I love it when I look into twinkling eyes @Frank.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭✭
    That eyebrows speak a language is certain, even a dog understands this language. If our dog something does what I don't like, and I just look at him with strong stretched eyebrows, he stops immediately and drops down the tail between his paws because he understands that I disapprove of his behavior with an ordinary eyebrow movement.
    It's funny how animals pick up on human body language. I think animals not only understand what's happening, but have their own body language.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,677 mod
    I think England has some very strange ideas about eyebrows, and it always makes me wonder what might be coming next! If you need convincing that England is strange, Google "feather eyebrows"!
    A friend muttered 'What is the problem some people have with hair?'!' when I told her about it.
  • MichouxeMichouxe Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭✭
    I think shaved eyebrows aren't in fashion, and mine opinion is that eyes more say than eyebrows, but the eyebrows move together with our eyes or some people speak with many motion expression on their face. I have so a girlfriend who speak with everything on her face! I always have to laugh of this.

Is this your dog@paulette
  • SairaSaira Posts: 842 ✭✭✭
    The perfect brow will make you look fresh, rested, young, healthy, and overall, more attractive.
  • MichouxeMichouxe Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭✭
    @Saira ;)
    You're right, you see it at the dog too. It's only a joke!
    Some girls seem to overdo it sometimes @Saira by plucking their eyebrows almost to extinction.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,170 mod
    Sadly the newspapers in the UK are reporting on a study from the University of Western Ontario which says that smiling makes you look older - 3 and a half years older! Their advice is to make yourself look younger you need to look surprised. ROFL
    You might look younger, but you will look pretty stupid.
  • SairaSaira Posts: 842 ✭✭✭
    You are right @mheredge and @Michouxe, I think eyebrows are very important part of your face if you change their shape your whole look changes.
    edited May 12
    @Lynne, the other week @Shiny03 made an interesting comment about Japanese people and smiling. (SHe said that they tend not to very much). Now I know why Japanese people look so young!
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,008 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    A new info for me. Eyebrows decide the type of emotion! I will observe it and share my experience with you. Interesting stuff! :)
    Frank said:

In the aforementioned discussion with @Lynne I wrote:

Actually it's the not the mouth that makes the smile, but the eyebrows.
    Look at this pictures:

Now put your thumb on the eyebrows on these pictures and you see the normal "smileys" for happy and sad. Then take your thumb away again and the emotion looks quite the same in both pictures: a bit grumpy.

Then take a look at these pictures. The mouth in all these pictures is neutral. You can see it's they eyebrows that make the emotion:

People tend to look at eyes to see how someone feels. We don't look at the mouth that much. That a smiley looks like a smile is programmed in our minds just as we see happiness in a dog's wagging tail.

In terms of communication shaving away your eyebrows is terrible. However, if the girls pencil in their eyebrows at the same place as where they shaved the original one, it doesn't matter that much. Then they make use of the same muscles they use with their hirsute eyebrows to convey their emotions.

The first smiley face looks positively mischievous, don't you think @Bubbly?
  • BubblyBubbly Nightingale Posts: 30,008 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it is. :) Sometimes, one expression has different meanings. The first smiley face also looks a bit mysterious as well. @mheredge
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,677 mod
    Saira said:

The perfect brow will make you look fresh, rested, young, healthy, and overall, more attractive.

It's amazing when you see the difference that eyebrows can make for people. It can transform your face, and turn you almost into somebody entirely different!
    I'm not sure about mysterious @Bubbly, but I do wonder what he is smirking about.