Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Hermineˋs 4th essay

HermineHermine ModeratorPosts: 6,669 mod
edited May 6 in Your Writing
Next Friday we are going to read the article about ˋ A community fixˋ from the English learnerˋs magazine Spotlight.

Its content is all about Repair Cafeˋs. Iˋm sure youˋve heard of this methode to get broken stuff fixed again. Here in our valley weˋve got two of them, but I never have been in one of them before.

A year ago my washer 25 years old with the brandname ˋ Mieleˋ was broken. Actually it had to be mended from time to time. Once the shocker were down to its end, the mounting of the washing mashine drum was broken and so on. To be honest I hadnˋt often had to call the electrician. The man a retired electrician grew up with the technic of those mashines.

Now I own a new Miele washer from a new serie. There is no chance for me and the man to mend the washer, if there occurs a problem. Do you know why, no it isnˋt the government who wants an invoice for everything. Itˋs the new technique. If the washer has got a problem then a professional guy must arrive with a computer that has a special software (itˋs expensive) on it, that will tell him what the problem would be.

My old iPod ( Apple) which I admired so much has given me so many opportunities to get entertained. But the battery is getting lower and lower. Recently I asked a man from an Apple store and he told me there is no chance to get exchanged it. I swore myself that I never ever will buy a product from that brand. I come from a generation where stuff kept up its quality for a pretty long time, see my washer.
A woman from Now York said , it had opened her eyes to the fact that this stuff was build to fail. (meant is generally not only Apple products)

If you want to discuss this topic here we are, or visit us next Friday in TGIF Webinar. (look at the calendar).

Post edited by Hermine on

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,081 mod
    edited May 10
    @Hermine my mother has extra insurance on some of her kitchen equipment like the dishwasher and says it's paid off as when things have gone wrong, if they could not repair it, they've replaced it at no charge. Unfortunately my sister persuaded her not to bother about this with her washing machine and though it is not very old, it's playing up. With hindsight, my mother wishes she'd paid for the insurance.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,669 mod
    @mheredge, we also were asked if we want an insurance for the washer. The law says that the washer is insured for a a year and then the extra insurance will come into power.
    We refused. Was it a good idea?

One of my daughters has got an iPhone (Apple) and they said the same. She refused also.

I don`t buy cheap applieances, because I think the thingy will work proper for a long time. Seemingly this isn`t valid anymore. The producers know exactly that their stuff doesn`t keep up its quality as it was before.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,584 mod
    Great job Hermine. Fingers crossed for tomorrow's session. Don't worry, if we can't get you into the call straight away, we will try a normal hangout.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,669 mod
    :)
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,081 mod
    I have to say that I don't bother either @Hermine. I remember extending the warranty for a few extra years on my fridge-freezer but then I didn't bother after it expired. Like you say, as long as you have a good quality product, then it shouldn't be necessary to fork out a lot of money to insure it.