Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Think positively

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 28,171 mod
Positive thinking: why, when and how?

Fahmi Iskander gave this talk in Khartoum. As well as giving a hilarious talk, he talks about how to think positively about even the most adverse situations.

He makes a very interesting point: 'If you can extract a smile, if you can extract one of the most profound human emotions from somebody, you can do anything you want.' (I'm a great believer in this!

In particular, you might find this interesting following on from our discussion about what makes you happy. @Monik, @april, @Shiny03, @aladdin, @mouna, @Hermine, @kratika, @nidhii, @Nippur, @ryoryu, @mhoz000, @mdshamsad, @filauzio, @abhishekb9099.

Comments

• mounamouna Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭
    edited May 1
    I mean by think negatively ask always yourself to be better.for example When I had an exam I have to tell myself:"the others revise more you,you have to work hardly".
    Critic ourselves in some situations help'us to improve our skills.
    I think happiness is a style of life,which can interrupt by sadly moments.we can't be happy always,because we have to be sick,to have problems and to failure.
    Thinking negatively isn't a synonym of bad for me.I take this tought only to improve myself.It depend in the personality of everyone,there are persons who need critic to be better,while others don't need that.
  • aladdinaladdin Radio Producer LEOnetworkPosts: 1,553 mod
    I like to think of both negative and positive probabilities. It keeps me safe it keeps me survive :D
    I like your thinking @aladdin.
  • aladdinaladdin Radio Producer LEOnetworkPosts: 1,553 mod
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every person has negative thoughts at certain times in his life and it's as @aladdin says, "This makes me survive". But I think you can survive, alone if negative thoughts turn to positive. So you should not see a failure as the end of the world but as the force for a new beginning. But this usually requires a fight with yourself, which means that you must defeat the enemy against yourself.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,171 mod
    @Paulette said 'Do you consider yourself as bad? Or as good? Who determines that, and where is such a judgment based? Good and evil are illusions. They are prejudices of the human mind.'

I agree with @mouna's point 'Thinking negatively isn't a synonym of bad for me.' I don't think positive or negative thinking equate to 'good' or 'bad.' Thinking negatively about something is not in itself bad, but just a way of looking at things.

Thinking positively in the way the speaker suggests is certainly a very good way to make the best of a bad job. You can roll with the punches, or grin and bear it.

I agree that it is difficult to be happy all the time. However I find I can talk myself into being happy even when the going seems to be getting tough by looking for the positives in whatever situation I find myself in. And when you make this a habit, then sure enough, you are more likely to feel happy than not.

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/make-the-best-of-a-bad-job
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,767 mod
    The way that you think has a huge influence on the way you live your life. I have noticed that when I am thinking negatively, everything seems to go out of control, whereas if I stop to look at the positive aspects, things seem much brighter somehow!
  • Shishio13Shishio13 Posts: 100 ✭✭
    Think positively helps to increase your performance in daily routines, jobs, sports... But you should not abuse and to think that always everything will going well only for to think positively. I prefer a stoical approach with a bit of good thinkings :P
    Our life turn between positively and negatively thinking.we have to make a balance between these two thought.I have to regret if I miss a chance to be better in the opposite sens I give myself gifts If I success,etc
    I agree that it's dangerous to only think on the positive side @Shishio13. To do this means that you have a better chance of being disappointed. I have to keep reminding myself of this. But all the same, I find being an optimist means that when things do go wrong, I still can believe that this is just a temporary small hiccup and things will be fine along the line.
    Shishio13 said:

Think positively helps to increase your performance in daily routines, jobs, sports... But you should not abuse and to think that always everything will going well only for to think positively. I prefer a stoical approach with a bit of good thinkings :P

Yes, I agree that you do have to be realistic, and don't believe that certain things are going to happen unless there is actually a genuine chance of it.
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When it comes to think positively or negatively, it occurs to me to think I'm rafting a river and approaching the rapid: how would you feel if one member of your crew, in a fit of negative thought, suddenly threw his/her oar into the water, which is already turning rough foam ? Sometimes, your bad mood can affect other people too, who, no matter their inner thoughts, are basically depending on you.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • whoisdeadwhoisdead Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Usually, I look at the situation realistically but have a positive self-talk. Say if I go for an interview and there are many other applicants, so there's a smaller chance for me to be chosen. However, I will think positively, a self-talk, to put my best forward during the interview to increase my chances and if I don't get picked, it is a good lesson for me. Revise my resume and portfolio, what I could've done better and to fix or improve it.
    It's essential to believe in yourself. I have a friend who says he starts each day looking in the mirror and saying that he's great! He says if you convince yourself of this every day, you can do anything, you can walk tall, and you can conquer every mountain (we met trekking in the Himalayas).
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge your friend is a man of my heart. I belief him so much because I do every day the same thing. I look in the mirror and say to meself congratulations there isn't no wrinkle more than yesterday and then I smile and my face have imediately the correct expression.
  • MonikMonik Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice Ted Talk video @mheredge , sometimes is not about "why" but, "what for". I truly believe there's a reason for every single thing in life, is our spirit that lets positive thoughts flow :)
  • PatePate Posts: 3
    also have a few fantastic books of Positive thinking of Napoleon Hill and another authors. Change your mind to change you activities and change the world.
    @Paulette the lesson my friend teaches is that it is important to love yourself in order to look love others. I consider myself extremely lucky too, which is probably why I'm usually very happy.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,695 mod
    @mheredge, how true, I agree. Your friend may be a very wise person.
  • DeucalionDeucalion Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    edited May 9
    > @mheredge said:
    > It's essential to believe in yourself. I have a friend who says he starts each day looking in the mirror and saying that he's great!
    Why should he finish the renovation of you your bathroom, @mheredge, if he is great without doing that? :)
    mheredge said:

It's essential to believe in yourself. I have a friend who says he starts each day looking in the mirror and saying that he's great! He says if you convince yourself of this every day, you can do anything, you can walk tall, and you can conquer every mountain (we met trekking in the Himalayas).

That sounds like a good thing to do. We might as well compliment ourselves, because most other people are too busy to take time out of their day to do it for us!
    Sometimes you just have to say 'I can do it'. Or as the Dalai Lama says, 'Never give up.'
  • soupmantrasoupmantra Posts: 298 ✭✭
    I completely agree that you should think positively. I have tried many times to always think positively. But once some negative thought comes in the mind than there is rain of negative thoughts that comes with them. And it is really difficult to overcome the negative thinking. Person who has a positive thinking is bound to get happiness, less stress, good relations and he/she will also spread positivity in the environment.
    edited May 10
    The problem is that when the negative thoughts start coming @soupmantra, they can keep knawing away at you till you're convinced that they are the only way. I think everyone has to have doubts once in a while, but looking on the bright side always makes you happier.
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't you think that we should also look and take care of darker side of certain situations to get better results. Just to be sure of the consequences. As @aladdin pointed.

@mheredge @soupmantra
    I'm not entirely sure @mohit_singh, especially in the current times of uncertainty. I prefer to try to look on the bright side as otherwise I would get quite depressed with things like climate change, the political situation and so on. Maybe this is my way to survive. We all have different coping mechanisms.