Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Ladies, why are we still chained to the kitchen sink?

Comments

• HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 7,035 mod
    edited November 2017
    Well, I see my Granny working in her kitchen. There was seldom bought anything new, she used her stuff year after year. Pots and pans were always the same and her kitchen had been the same from that day on she moved in.
    The Sunday porcelan she had owned since her wedding day was in a vitrine until she left this world.

Although she didnˋt have a hoover, I never saw dust in her house.

Our life has changed and became easier and anyway we waste it for unnecessary timeconsumers.

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,909 mod
    mheredge said:

I don't think we can ever aspire to be as good house wives as our mothers @lisa. You have to juggle a job, family and housework, which is not easy.

Yes, I think the current generation has more pressure to be able to do everything the previous one did - plus more! That is bound to bring a lot of stress.
  • lisalisa Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands I never wish her to treat me as her real daughter, but I hope she can care me a little sometimes, especially when I am very tired, at that time if she can share some housework with me, I will be very grateful.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 934 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    > @lisa said:
    I never wish her to treat me as her real daughter, but I hope she can care me a little sometimes, especially when I am very tired, at that time if she can share some housework with me, I will be very grateful.

The relationship between a mother-in-law and a daughter-in-law is the most difficult among the ones between inlaws. Too many mothers think that a young wife doesn't deserve their beloved son. That's a law of human psychology and the best way to tackle the situation for a young couple is living separately, better in another town.
    People differ, of course, and things become easier with time, but still...
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,553 mod
    I do enjoy being in my kitchen, however this is because I don't have to be there in the same way as if I had a large family to cook for. Obviously I have to eat, but pottering around in the kitchen isn't usually 'work' for me, but more like good fun.
  • FariFari Posts: 6
    I'm a student living in a hostel so I've to do everything by myself, I neither enjoy cooking nor hate it , though I sometimes feel proud of myself when i get the recipe right and cook something delicious ,Lol. When I'm at home I'm not expected to cook, or wash but my mum still tell me to help her in the kitchen and there are some particular things which are expected to be done by me rather than my brothers like, washing dishes or cleaning the house when servant doesn't come but since I've shifted to hostel my brothers help my mum cleaning the house (here there is a tradition of servants, we pay them wages to do house chores). My brothers cook dinner on daily bases I sometimes help them, sometimes don't but eat it every time, they brew tea for everyone in breakfast ,if they have cooked something they won't expect me and my mum to clean after them they do it by themselves.
    I believe that females are pre-programmed to take care of few things, expected or not we just do it. it's the maternal feeling I think (I'm not talking about every female there are always exception present). If I wasn't a student and a working woman then I think I'd prefer cooking over working in construction business, if I'm bored and have nothing to do, no books to read, no homework and office work to complete, and no sleep to get then I'd prefer trying new dishes or sorting out my room
    Fari said:

I'm a student living in a hostel so I've to do everything by myself, I neither enjoy cooking nor hate it , though I sometimes feel proud of myself when i get the recipe right and cook something delicious ,Lol. When I'm at home I'm not expected to cook, or wash but my mum still tell me to help her in the kitchen and there are some particular things which are expected to be done by me rather than my brothers like, washing dishes or cleaning the house when servant doesn't come but since I've shifted to hostel my brothers help my mum cleaning the house (here there is a tradition of servants, we pay them wages to do house chores). My brothers cook dinner on daily bases I sometimes help them, sometimes don't but eat it every time, they brew tea for everyone in breakfast ,if they have cooked something they won't expect me and my mum to clean after them they do it by themselves.

I believe that females are pre-programmed to take care of few things, expected or not we just do it. it's the maternal feeling I think (I'm not talking about every female there are always exception present). If I wasn't a student and a working woman then I think I'd prefer cooking over working in construction business, if I'm bored and have nothing to do, no books to read, no homework and office work to complete, and no sleep to get then I'd prefer trying new dishes or sorting out my room

It is great when you cook something and it is really, really nice. I enjoy cooking for my partner because he always praises me when I make something nice.
    @Fari it sounds like you and your family have a very good way of sharing the chores. I agree with you, I'd far rather stay at home and do the housework than go out to work on a construction site, though there are a lot of other jobs I'd prefer to do than domestic work.
    mheredge said:

@Fari it sounds like you and your family have a very good way of sharing the chores. I agree with you, I'd far rather stay at home and do the housework than go out to work on a construction site, though there are a lot of other jobs I'd prefer to do than domestic work.

The most important thing is that everyone is happy with their share of the chores, or they may become frustrated and it might cause some arguments in the future.
  • homanmihhomanmih Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭
    I find it helps to organize chores into categories: Things I won't to do now. Things I won't do tomorrow. Things I will never do.
    homanmih said:

I find it helps to organize chores into categories: Things I won't to do now. Things I won't do tomorrow. Things I will never do.

But surely you need to think about the things that you never do.. because they will all need to be done at some point, right?
    I usually have good intentions @homanmih but that doesn't mean that it'll happen.
  • homanmihhomanmih Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭
    Chore is a real boring job that you must do.
    A daily chore requires many sacrifices. So, this is a lifetime daily chore for me.
    But there is a chance to injoy yourself while cooking or cleaning.
    Let's remember pronunciation of words that contain 'chore.'

Try to say the next: Terpsichore's choir carefully choreograpfs chore.
    Terpsichore /tɜ˞ːpˈsɪk.ər.i/ - in Greek mythology the muse of dance
    choir /kwaɪər/ - a group of people who sing together:
    Choreograpf v /ˈkɒriəgrɑːf/ - to arrange an event or series of events carefully
    chore /tʃɔːr/
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 11,593 mod
    @homanmih indeed if you the daily chores do by thinking after I have done them then I did something efficient or something that pleasant someone else and if you do it as a dancing queen then it isn't a taxing task.
    Paulette said:

@homanmih indeed if you the daily chores do by thinking after I have done them then I did something efficient or something that pleasant someone else and if you do it as a dancing queen then it isn't a taxing task.

I always listen to music while I am doing chores, or I will phone a friend for a chat, so I am achieving something that I really want to do at the same time.
    The cleaning lady who cleans the common areas of the building is always chatting on her phone while she's working. It's rather annoying as I'm usually working and hate having my peace and quiet invaded this way.
  • phanthangphanthang Posts: 5
    I'm an officer and i live alone. I love cooking, but sadly there is no one i could share my dishes now.
    In the past, I had made dinner for my ex-girlfriend. even when i was really busy i still did it, because I enjoy the time of cooking and think about her contentment. But my ex-girlfriend hate doing housework and cooking. I did not ask her to do these work daily, just want sometime she did it like a suprise for me. However, my desires is too difficult for her even her work is not as busy as mine.
    So now, i just cook anything that i have in the fridge, whatever its taste :D
    I prefer cooking for others @phanthang. But I still enjoy cooking nice dishes for myself too. Today I baked some fennel, potato and orange with some cod. It was delicious.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 11,593 mod
    @phanthang I wish my husband was such a kitchen wonder like you, he also hates doing housework esspecially cooking, but it flatters me that he then says, when you cook it always tastes better.
    You say, I am an officer, do you mean that you have a management assignment with military personnel or are you a civil servant with jurisdiction?
  • VokVok Posts: 630 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge It sounds like an usually concoction to me, that of orange, potato and fish. I'm sure it is moreish, though.
    @phanthang it's good for you that you love cooking. The same can't be said about me. It's not really up my street and I used to make a dog's dinner of my cooking. Nowadays, though, with a pressure cooker the process has become less taxing than it used to be.
  • phanthangphanthang Posts: 5
    @mheredge It sound tasty. Do you like watching food and cooking shows. I spend a lot of time on youtube to watch them, especially "mukbang", even i'm on a diet now. My dream is to own a small restaurant.
    @Paulette I work for a state agency.
    mheredge said:

The cleaning lady who cleans the common areas of the building is always chatting on her phone while she's working. It's rather annoying as I'm usually working and hate having my peace and quiet invaded this way.

This happened to me when in university. Our cleaners would come in early in the morning and wake up up by chatting, which I felt was unfair.
    They were probably doing it on purpose @GemmaRowlands. Maybe it was their way of saying 'rise and shine everybody!'

I found another interesting combination @Vok. Tuna with leek and fennel (and some onion and garlic). It tasted good even though it seemed a bit of a concoction. @phanthang I like experimenting with flavours, as you can see from the unlikely combinations I've been trying out lately.
    mheredge said:

They were probably doing it on purpose @GemmaRowlands. Maybe it was their way of saying 'rise and shine everybody!'

I found another interesting combination @Vok. Tuna with leek and fennel (and some onion and garlic). It tasted good even though it seemed a bit of a concoction. @phanthang I like experimenting with flavours, as you can see from the unlikely combinations I've been trying out lately.

Yes that might be true, but it isn't really any of their business what time we got up, and we had usually only had a couple of hours sleep, as we would go to bed very late!
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭✭
    (Might be off the topic too much but..)
    Do you use a knife to peel the skin off of an apple or do you use a peeler?

I always use a peeler since it's easier, faster, and safer than using a knife.
    But my wife has a different opinion. She says only some stupids who don't even know how to use a knife rely on peelers; and to be honest, she peels apples with a knife real quick and easily.

Let me hear how you do it!
    @takafromtokyo I don't peel an apple at all. It's said that apple peel is the most beneficial part of an apple for your health.
  • lisalisa Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    Actually I do not know how to peel an apple properly, because the pose of using a knife to peel an apple is a bit dangerous for me. By the way, I have not had any apples for a long time, because the price is too expensive to eat any apples, it is nearly 50RMB per kilo, can you imagine? @takafromtokyo
    I find it hard to conceive that apples can be so expensive that people can't afford them @lisa . Apple for me is a staple fruit that should cost next to nothing. What kind of fruit do you eat if you can't buy apples then?
  • DeucalionDeucalion Posts: 834 ✭✭✭
    edited March 5
    I use to peel apples this way: I toss it, then snatch my kendo from scabbard and peel the apple while it flies and, when it fells, I grab at it already peelled. :expressionless:
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭✭
    @Vok
    oh, so you eat apples whole. Well, that's what I do when I eat them myself. When I cut an apple for my family, they want it peeled, so that's when I do that.

@lisa
    hmm...you usually buy apples by kilos? Shouldn't that be a lot? In my case, it's one or two at a time when I buy apples.

@Deucalion
    Oh, you're the master of apple peeling!! We all got to learn from you!