Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What is the most mysterious place you have ever been?

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,476 mod
Following from our session on Easter Island, what is the most mysterious place you have ever been?

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,476 mod
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,167 mod
    edited May 2
    Hi @Lynne ,

I know I'm not worth being promoted, but do I deserve to be degraded? :)
    I can't add any pictures anymore. That possibility is taken from me.
    Even pictures that I had added in my posts before are gone.
    Why oh why?

Would you be so kind to add my flickr pictures which links I have added to my article up here then, @Lynne ?
    Thank you very much, @Lynne .
    Post edited by april on
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,476 mod
    @april - It might be that Vanilla has changed how it handles embedded pictures, or it might be that Flickr has changed how it allows pictures to be embedded.

Use the http .... .jpg link to your picture, and the add image button above. It works.
    But ... I can't find the http ... jpg link :(
    Is it on Flickr, @Lynne ?
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which means mysterious. Is it a place where you had unpleasant memories or can it also be a place you really fascinated?

For me, this place was in Iceland with the geysers. You see a round plain filled with clear blue water and then this place begins to evaporate and the water is pushed up and forms a very big bubble and this bubble get higher and higher... and then it splashes hot water all around. And a moment later it's done suddenly and everything begins again.
    If that is not mysterious. Of course, it is explained by physical data, but this goes beyond my hat.

Have you been there, @Paulette ?
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @april I was there 5 years ago and it was marvelous! I could watch the geysers for hours, a miracle of the nature!
  • psymonologypsymonology Posts: 15 ✭✭
    When i was a wimpy little boy, i was told the world outside is a dangerous place. I would say that i was overprotected by my parents, but that's what all the Asian parents do . And every little step was a long, mysterious adventure, people always said my imagination was over the sky ( i dont know what words to use :)) ) . And the area where i have been living in since i was 5 is the most vivid and mysterious memory in my mind. So it was three or four blocks from my house. At there, a full-time locked iron gate which was converted into a playground for kid in my area because of a big black hole on it, became extremely creepy when the sun went down. No kid in the neighborhood could dare to put a toe into that place. And until now it is still a "uncharted" mysterious island on my mind map. And till these day, the the gate is STILK locked
    Is that place behind the gate forbidden to enter, @psymonology ?
  • psymonologypsymonology Posts: 15 ✭✭
    yeah. Kind of :neutral: now people are planning to put that place into used which somewhat makes me feel blank inside ....
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,992 mod
    I'm not sure how you define 'mysterious' @Lynne but I visited an old stately home in the '80s which didn't look at all mysterious but it held an intriguing past. My father spent some months there in 1945-46 eavesdropping on Russian morse code messages. He said the place was reputed to be haunted and most staff could not stand staying more than a short time, as many claimed to see horse less carriages and other weird phenomenon. My father was very disappointed not to see anything but put it down to the fact that because he wanted to see a ghost, they were avoiding him.

I think I must take after him in this regard because I didn't feel the place was in any way spooky.