Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What do you consider to be lucky?

mheredgemheredge TeacherHere and therePosts: 26,992 mod
Some people consider it good luck to put a horse shoe above the door. It is thought that when guests come to a house where there's a horseshoe hanging above the door, they have to leave by the same way or they will take the luck from the horseshoe with them, away from the house.

To be sure of good luck for the New Year, it is said that you should sleep with a horseshoe under your pillow on New Year’s Eve. The shape of the horseshoe is supposed to ward off the evil eye. And if you find a horseshoe, this is supposed to be very lucky if the open space is facing toward you. If you dream of finding one too, this will bring good luck. Sailors are traditionally very superstitious and used to nail a horseshoe to the foremast of their ships to keep witches and wizards from cursing the voyage or damaging the ship.

However good luck comes in many forms. This article describes some of the lucky places in the world that you can visit (I have never been to any)

http://www.atlasobscura.com/lists/lucky-places-good-luck-charms?utm_source=Atlas+Obscura+Daily+Newsletter&utm_campaign=4e89343a13-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_04_24&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f36db9c480-4e89343a13-65904101&ct=t(Newsletter_4_24_20174_21_2017)&mc_cid=4e89343a13&mc_eid=5918298398

What do you believe brings you good luck?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,992 mod

Clover leaves, lucky dice, horse shoes, ladybug charms, number 7 and number 8 charms, rabbit foot charms, rainbow charms (I never heard of this before), animal charms... these are a few of the many things people believe can bring good luck.

https://www.thebalance.com/lucky-charms-to-attract-good-luck-895277
  • arzulitaarzulita Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    Maybe something that gived to you from someone you love, can be a lucky charm for you ( a necklace, a bangle etc). But this is for personal luck.

For New Years good luck it is said that you should wear a red underwear :D
    I didn't hear about rabbit foot charms and rainbow charms but I have heard about the other charms.
  • gokergoker Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited April 24
    @mheredge
    I think luck is creating by the people. All of this lucky stuff is about your energy. If you believe that you are a lucky person and you can keep high your energy you will be lucky :)

I read about an article about lucky and unlucky people. An experiment was performed. As a result scientist found this answer : "If you believe you are a lucky person and behave like this you will be lucky." Because luck is everywhere and we should see it :)

Finally i believe lucky things. If you feel happy when you see something, it is your lucky material. When i find my lucky material i will write here. ^^

And @takafromtokyo what do you think about this topic? I'm curious about your answer.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24

In my country there is a tradition that says women who marry must wear a stocking strap to have a happy marriage.
    I think only believing in it gives you a sense of happiness.
    This symbolism is nice and I think it's a good moment for happiness.

On my wedding day I also weared a stocking strap and I'm still happy with my husband and thinking of the stocking strap makes us laugh.

I love such symbols, they make of life a search.
    So I can for a walk in nature, search a four-leaf clover for hours and believe me, I've ever found one when I was pregnant from my first son.

• mounamouna Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    In our traditions we have always to look for good things,it sounds to wishes the best .
    People consider seeing a bird as to be lucky for this day.
  • Shishio13Shishio13 Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Many times lucky charms work like placebos, people thinks that a lucky charm brings them luck and good fortune then they do any activity or task with more confident and security.

When I was the principal of the school for Nurses I went with my students who graduated many time to Paris.
    Every time after we had visit the cathedral we went just outside of Notre Dame Cathedral and stood near the point zero ( it is a stone embedded in the soil and who indicate the distance of many other major places in the world). Then we made a picture with our feet arround point zero because this means: "I wish all off you a lot of succes for the future." I hope it worked by all the graduated students....... :)
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭
    Today morning around 10 Am . My father and his friend were discussing on something and soon after from somewhere they strated to talk about Luck.

Friend of my father had given​ a really good acronym of LUCK( labor under correct knowledge). I'm​ sure you guys have heard of this before but this was new for me and also have some meaning. He explained the meaning very well afterwards by giving several example of his life's event. That too seems captivating.
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭
    Horse shoe is also very famous here in India.
    @mheredge

You could find it in village more often in comparison to the town. One of my neighbor also have one horse shoe nailed on his door.
  • prateekprateek Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    I have also seen people wearing black or red color thread here in India as a symbol of luck or to keep evil away from them.
    but personally, I never believed in luck but now after so many incidents, I have started to believe that luck also matters.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,307 mod
    I have always thought that it was lucky to find a four-leaf clover. I found one once, but I can't remember where I put it down and I couldn't find it again. So I guess that wasn't so lucky after all.
    I really love the idea of wearing red knickers for New Year's day @arzulita. I need to make sure I find some before the end of the year!

I sometimes find attractive pebbles or sea shells that I pick up and like to keep as a souvenir. I don't know if it's because they seem lucky or just that they are nice mementos.

I agree that if you believe you're lucky it tends to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    edited April 25
    I love collecting sea shells! And they are beautiful souvenirs :)

Yes, everything starts with faith so we shouldn't stop believing that we are lucky! :) @mheredge
    I think by thinking positively about life, this makes all the difference @arzulita.
    Yes, exactly! @mheredge
    edited April 26
    I rememeber me also the next story to bring luck: When I a was a child 6 to 7 years old. At that time it was the switching time of my milk teeth. My mother said if you loose a tooth, you put it under your pillow and the tooth fairy takes it with her and will make sure you get a nice and good denture in the adult time.

And I did it always, and now I have still all my teeth and they are very good. Thanks tooth fairy!

İn my country we believe that we should throw it on the roof for good luck. @Paulette
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,307 mod
    mheredge said:

I really love the idea of wearing red knickers for New Year's day @arzulita. I need to make sure I find some before the end of the year!

I sometimes find attractive pebbles or sea shells that I pick up and like to keep as a souvenir. I don't know if it's because they seem lucky or just that they are nice mementos.

I agree that if you believe you're lucky it tends to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I always bring a shell or a stone home with me when I have been on holiday. I usually holiday in England though - I think there are laws against taking things from beaches in some countries!
    Yes, I hear something like that few years ago..
    @GemmaRowlands

These kind of laws are really odd. What do you think about the reasons of these laws?
  • Shishio13Shishio13 Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited April 27
    @goker The reason is to protect the native environment and the wildlife of beaches, woods etc. Sometimes tourist causes great harm to ecosystems
  • WirginiaWirginia Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my country we consider when the bird make excrement on you, you will have a luck. I wish myself, that is true because yesterday I had those situation.
    @Wirginia I was in such a situation many years ago and yes it brought me luck because one of my daughters was born the same day.
  • MichouxeMichouxe Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have heard that if you see a falling star, can you make a wish???
    But you cannot tell to someone, otherwise your wish will not come true!

@Michouxe
    I heard that too, and I make wishes when I see a falling star :)
    edited April 27
    I have a question for everyone. When a bird shits on your head or clothes, do you consider in your country that this is a lucky thing or only shit?

I'm waiting for answers :)
    edited April 27
    In my country people believe that this is a lucky but personaly I didn't see any luck when a bird shits on me :D @goker
    @goker I don't like it when a bird shit on my head or clothes but after I read about "bringing luck" in the country of @Wirginia I believe it really so because after it happened with me I received my beautiful youngest daughter. At the moment it was happened I was angry and excited because my hair was messed up, but now I am glad it happened with me. :)
    @Paulette, so the tooth fairy didn't leave any money for your tooth? I remember being most put out when the tooth fairy didn't take my tooth and leave a coin. The problem was, I hadn't told anyone that I'd lost the tooth (I think it might have been the last one).

Hahaha @goker, yes people do day a bird blessing you from on high brings luck. I once had a great big egret dive bomb me with the biggest, blackest bird dropping ever. I was wearing a white shirt and it took several washes before I managed to get it clean. I did not feel at all lucky, believe you me.

It was one of these who left its mark!