Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

The Art of Public Speaking

jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 480 ✭✭✭
The art of Public Speaking should be encouraged

Which of us as been involved in Public speaking

What are the hints and advice as to speaking

http://jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/04/the-art-of-public-speaking.html

Comments

• jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 480 ✭✭✭
    The Art of Public Speaking in a Foreign Language.

A challenge to test your ability and confidence

Something that would provide feed back

A task that retains words newly learned

Which of us has managed to achieve this?

Perhaps at a wedding or at a public meeting?

@Paulette @GemmaRowlands @takafromtokyo @phillip14 @Lynne @timbilino @mheredge @Yellowtail
    @christelle @mohit_singh @Rema @Deucalion
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭✭
    This is the one things that I have to work on. I have never get an opportunity to speak to masses. But I know it's not an easy task. Thank you @jackelliot for starting this thread.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    @jackelliot
    I myself is not at all good at giving speeches, but one thing I've noticed by looking at good speakers is that those people are very good at just simply standing in front of the audience. Good speakers are good even before actually saying a word. They can stand on the stage, not saying a word, just looking at or smiling to the audience. They can do that.

On the contrary, bad speakers like myself simply can't be with the audience. They get nervous easily. They're so afraid of silence that they start trying to make impressions to the audience right after they appear on stage. That effort only makes it harder for the audience to understand the message the speaker wants to get through.
    @takafromtokyo confidence seems to be the key to success in public speaking

@mohit_singh I am sure you would be good at after preparation and a smile.
    I could remember that in a soft skill class, I was instructed to speak for 2 min in front of whole class and most of them were not from my class. I was nervous and confident at the same time.

I went up to the stage and said something funny and everyone strated laughing.though I was not intended to say anything funny there but it come out. I observe that after few seconds I was freezing due to fear.

Though mam appreciated my speach as I accepted that I am not comfortable doing public speaking like many of us and also spoken my mind for more than 2 min. I have spoken less about the topic and more about my mental condition.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭✭
    @jackelliot @takafromtokyo @mohit_singh @prateek

Speaking in public for me is something peculiar, I have done it many times when I was the principal of the school. Sometimes was it about teaching the public or was it just bring information or tell a story about a period in their lifes...
    Very important is that you just keep yourself that you smile and dares to look at the audience.
    Also prepare yourself properly to know the content to know what you're going to tell and try to get the audience on your lips.
    So I spoke at several occasions such as: farewell speeches for the graduates or at the start of a new school year for welcome the students . I had to give information sessions on study choice too and on academic sessions and several others....

You should indulge in your speech and certainly believe in yourself when you speak in the public and then it is easy....
    @Paulette thank you for telling us how you dealt with public speaking .. thanks

@mohit_singh so true that sometimes nervousness can get to us in those moments

@april would public speaking be a task that you would enjoy?

@TheodoraSzue @Jobric @Wirginia @Zom @yanglish @Rigo77
  • christellechristelle Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jackelliot I am not the best person to give advices about it. I am better at writing than at speaking. :wink:
    @christelle your advice is spot on ... .thanks
  • prateekprateek Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    I also haven't got a chance to speak in public and so I think I feel uncomfortable with it but once I will start it will be peculiar to me. Generally, public speaking is not part of the job now so I haven't tried it but in writing, I am better than speaking as I have to type or write daily.
    But I wish to take part in public speaking as this will be the best way to get in confidence.
    @prateek yes it is a great way to gain confidence
    @prateek if you are well prepared then can't anything go wrong in a public speech. You'll be nervous, this is normal but convince yourself that you can it and try to feel you allied with the audience. Start by looking at your audience first and then start with your opening words slowly and when this is happen then the words of your speech will simply follow.
    You must try a public speech once, I know you can it! ;)
    @jameskhor @Johnofvillage @NatashaT @phú @mouna

Would you agree that giving a speech in public could increase your confidence in the usage of a foreign language?

@Paulette yes you only gain by trying it out
    @halilertkn Working at home means you could do public speaking via the video link?
    @jackelliot said: Public Speaking is an art that was often a common way of communicating, and I agree

Public speaking should be encouraged it is a form of communicating with a lot of people and it can gives you a wonderful feeling. It gives also the possibility to further conversation between different people and that is something the world needs.
    @aladdin do you think the public speaking of this CEO of United Airlines was interesting?

http://jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/04/united-airlines-public-speaking.html

It can show the importance of the art in communicating properly ...

You showed this recently with your BBC link from the Korea based journalist

@Paulette should there lessons in School or other institutions or a look at how the Greeks introduced it to our culture
    @jackelliot I think lessons about communication are very good, especially about the behavior of a man while speaking, also the choice of the words, the pronunciation ec....
    Communication is an art and I think many people possess this art but the application of it can be learned.

My students received lessons in communication because they must to learn communicate with patients.
    @Paulette you may be surprised that communication is not being taught to British doctors or those that come to work in the NHS ..
    Using debates in the classroom can help students grasp essential critical thinking and presentation skills.
    Among the skills classroom debates can foster are abstract thinking, citizenship and etiquette, clarity, organization, persuasion, public speaking, research, and teamwork and cooperation

@Frederico @kapiltokker @jprodrigues @zzzlea @astralia123 @Quentin @okudan @Patrick_Wilding @xiaozhen @Jayden @1ashish @Rosbely08 @wishheart21

There are many different formats that you can use for your classroom debate

How would you debate a subject ///

@jackelliot you can start with debates in the classroom, but I think a debat is a discussion and public speaking isn't not always a debat. On debates there are different people who speak and the public is listening.

But I agree that use debates in a classroom is the start of dare to speak.
  • mounamouna Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭
    Jackelliot
    Yes It's ,I remember the first time when I did my first public communication it wasn't very good I used to be afraid ,my voice was trouble ,Now I'm more confident and I try to improve my abilities to do an excellent oral communication
  • mounamouna Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭
    By the way how did you can mentioned the names??
    @Paulette yes there is a difference // debate versus speaking
    @mouna Practice may improve the ability to speak with confidence
  • phúphú Posts: 32 ✭✭
    i agree @jackelliot
  • phúphú Posts: 32 ✭✭
    I think communication will help improve speaking skill , listenning skill. and you can be more confident
    @jackelliot
    @phú I agree they would help you improve throughout ...
    I did good while presenting our project in a seminar to our teacher and some group of student in one of the semester. I got 10/10 in that . The only thing that keeps me away from fear is the good knowledge of the topic on which I was intended to speak.

I quite agree with @jackelliot and @Paulette that group discussion and good knowledge of the topic could help you express yourself​.