Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Depression

whoisdeadwhoisdead Posts: 46 ✭✭
Explain depression in your own words. What does depression mean to you? (S)

Comments

• TheodoraSzueTheodoraSzue Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Depression is like the void. It's a void of darkness, it takes everything that once made you happy. Motivation, joy, happiness, will power, hope. It takes them away. And we're left with an empty shell.

But, if one is able to overcome depression. Then they will see true beauty in the world. They will know real happiness and gratitude because they were once left with nothing and pain.

Depression, is a horrible sickness. But once able to rise out of it, comes great beauty.
  • whoisdeadwhoisdead Posts: 46 ✭✭
    @TheodoraSzue I have not experienced depression before. Therefore, that's something quite interesting to know. So deep Szue, so deep and also such beauty.
  • JaydenJayden Posts: 38 ✭✭
    We all face challenges to our mental health. Depression and anxiety changes the way we think, feel and deal with tough times. Well done for taking the first step. We can follow other people’s journeys to wellness below or explore the site to find your own way to a better place
  • joshuachinjoshuachin Posts: 4
    For me, Depression is the moment where we face one of our worst down times. Unable to do something and still thought about doing it. Gives us the worst feeling ever.
  • MichouxeMichouxe Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s not easy to describe a depression.
    My last depression was the longest I’ve ever had!
    You have the feeling not anything to bring to a good result!
    I'm the worst and I'm not good for anything!
    I wake up in the middle of the night and I burst into tears, and in the morning I see in the mirror and want to hide my red eyes for my husband, not easy!
    If someone me want to cheer it gives me the result I should weep again!!!
    The tears come faster than I want !
    There are people who not understand what it means to have a depression
    On this moment is everything alright with me, at least I haven’t a depression but I have still very little confidence. I’m afraid I’m too old to change that!
  • whoisdeadwhoisdead Posts: 46 ✭✭
    @Michouxe Some days you'll have setbacks, but just know that tomorrow is a new day with new possibilities and just do the best you can because that's enough. Little confidence is better than nothing; it's never too old to change anything.

I may be over my depression but who knows when it might struck, which is why I surround myself with positive cheerful people and a few close friends that I can talk to in times of need.
  • mounamouna Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭
    For me,depression mean no hope in this life,the person who's in depression feel like he's not helpful and his life hasn't any meaning.It's very difficult to be in this situation,we have to give help to this persons.
  • Jacqueline123Jacqueline123 Posts: 5
    Depression always appear in our life.It let us feel hopeless in our life, makes you feel very uncomfortable in every situation.

@Jacqueline123 You have right, it always appear in our life and feel hopeless, but with help of other people or friends we come back again in a lovely world! ;)
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,093 mod
    I had a classmate at school who regularly used to miss days at a time due to depression. She takes medication and nowadays she's diagnosed as bi-polar. Yet to the world outside, she always seems to be the life and soul of the party.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,957 mod
    @Michouxe, I read your lines. I donˋt believe that you are too old for a change.

@mheredge, yours too. The world doesnˋt be as it seems to be. We believe our eyes, but the inner world of most people seems to be very different to them what we see.
    Too true @Hermine. With some people, it takes a long time to really get to know them.
  • TinkaTinka Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭
    There is one lovely video about the depression, which is a good description of my view of this mental condition:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=XiCrniLQGYc
    It's worthy to see it.
  • vinayagarwalkdlvinayagarwalkdl Posts: 35 ✭✭
    A human being may depressed when all the things are against of him. Someone works hard and he don't get things what he wants. Someone fail to achieve their goal after several attempts to find it. Negativity makes him hopeless and he feel himself dissolated, alone and sometimes depression leads to death also.
  • BellBell Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Depression is a full time job. A place where all your hopes and dreams seem to be so far away and unreachable, where you feel very inadequate and you make sure that you affirm that idea in every possible occasion! It is normal to feel depressed at times though but just don't stay there!
  • LoganLogan Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Depression is a psycological condition in which the sufferer lose interest in everything. It is not simply a temperorary sadness or lack of happyness, it is a permanent state of vitality lacking. The typical depressed person complain of fatigue, lethargy, loss of appetite and poor care of himself. It's when your body is alive but your heart is dead and unfortunately, there is no way to made a full recovery from this although people who suffer from depression may feel better sometimes and cyclically feel worse during their whole life.
    I think if I ever get depressed it never lasts more than a few hours. I think I'm very lucky.
    A depresion is different for everyone.
    When I had a depression, I cried several times a day and I did not know why!
    Last year I had a long-term depression, it's a hell!
    I hope never to have such feelings again, you feel alone and helpless, despite all the understanding words.
    Tonight I saw the news on TV, there was a presenter of Q music a radio transmitter,who told about his depression, when he spoke, the tears rolled over his face. I know how I felt last year, it was like looking in the mirror!
    The man told his story for the reason to help people, because there are more people than you think with these problems.
    My husband has never had depression and does not understand such feelings, and there are many people who don't understand!
    I try to understand depression @Michouxe but find it hard, never having been really depressed myself. I suppose I was what I could call 'very fed up' with my job a few years ago, but I wouldn't call that depression as I was able to do something about it - like go travelling and not bother to go back to the rat race.

I can understand your husband's problem. Unless you have been depressed yourself, I think it is very difficult to imagine what it is like.
    @mheredge

I can understand it if you say that it is difficult to imagine if you have not had depression yourself. Anyway, I hope never to get a depression again!
    I hope so too @Michouxe. Keep smiling is my motto. Sometimes it is hard. I like how people smile back though.
  • walterwalter Posts: 174 ✭✭
    I have seen and reading some research, who tells that every fourt person suffer from some shape of depression. People which suffer from the symptoms depression, often they are sadly. Also what I read it`s that people who have small amount money, very common suffer from depresion, also depression is less related i less impact have on the people which have a higher level education.
    I am not sad, I have "enough" money, will it be my lower education??? I don't really believe such researches, but as you have read, there are many different forms of depression.Of course someone who have not money or has worry about his health have a hard time!
    There should not necessarily be a reason for depression.@walter ;)
    I think depression is far more complicated than just whether you have enough money @walter. I have met some of the poorest people who are happy with life and also some of the richest who are as miserable as sin.

I am not sure if anyone really totally understands what makes some people depressed @Michouxe.
  • mounamouna Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭
    Despair and Lack of confidence makes some people depressed.I think we have a depression as a disease which need a special treatment and to be depressed for a short period of time,it looks as an impermanent feeling that could affect all.
    I have a friend who gets seriously depressed and has to take medicines (I think she's what they term 'bi-polar'). Apparently the medicines that she needs are very expensive and the NHS have said that they can't afford to give her them on prescription, so she has to pay herself. Fortunately she is quite well-off, so can afford them, but it makes me wonder how less well off patients with the same problem manage, or not as the case might be.
    I hope she doesn't use these medicines for too long! There is really an opportunity to become addicted. I try to avoid such medicines and if there is no other option, I always break my medicine in two parts and it only takes a short period. Of course, maybe your friend needs specialized help.
    I think she gets help and I don't know if she takes tablets all the time @Michouxe. I now try to avoid all medicines except those I have to take for my blood pressure. But these I think are also a bit problematic as you have to continue using them all the time once you start too.
  • walterwalter Posts: 174 ✭✭
    Yes @mheredge, I totaly agree with you, I also know people which are very poor, but at other side at the same time also very happy, and opposite for people which has a lot of money.