Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Depression

whoisdeadwhoisdead Posts: 46 ✭✭
Explain depression in your own words. What does depression mean to you? (S)

Comments

• TheodoraSzueTheodoraSzue Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Depression is like the void. It's a void of darkness, it takes everything that once made you happy. Motivation, joy, happiness, will power, hope. It takes them away. And we're left with an empty shell.

But, if one is able to overcome depression. Then they will see true beauty in the world. They will know real happiness and gratitude because they were once left with nothing and pain.

Depression, is a horrible sickness. But once able to rise out of it, comes great beauty.
  • whoisdeadwhoisdead Posts: 46 ✭✭
    @TheodoraSzue I have not experienced depression before. Therefore, that's something quite interesting to know. So deep Szue, so deep and also such beauty.
  • JaydenJayden Posts: 38 ✭✭
    We all face challenges to our mental health. Depression and anxiety changes the way we think, feel and deal with tough times. Well done for taking the first step. We can follow other people’s journeys to wellness below or explore the site to find your own way to a better place
  • joshuachinjoshuachin Posts: 4
    For me, Depression is the moment where we face one of our worst down times. Unable to do something and still thought about doing it. Gives us the worst feeling ever.
  • MichouxeMichouxe Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s not easy to describe a depression.
    My last depression was the longest I’ve ever had!
    You have the feeling not anything to bring to a good result!
    I'm the worst and I'm not good for anything!
    I wake up in the middle of the night and I burst into tears, and in the morning I see in the mirror and want to hide my red eyes for my husband, not easy!
    If someone me want to cheer it gives me the result I should weep again!!!
    The tears come faster than I want !
    There are people who not understand what it means to have a depression
    On this moment is everything alright with me, at least I haven’t a depression but I have still very little confidence. I’m afraid I’m too old to change that!
  • whoisdeadwhoisdead Posts: 46 ✭✭
    @Michouxe Some days you'll have setbacks, but just know that tomorrow is a new day with new possibilities and just do the best you can because that's enough. Little confidence is better than nothing; it's never too old to change anything.

I may be over my depression but who knows when it might struck, which is why I surround myself with positive cheerful people and a few close friends that I can talk to in times of need.
  • mounamouna Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭
    For me,depression mean no hope in this life,the person who's in depression feel like he's not helpful and his life hasn't any meaning.It's very difficult to be in this situation,we have to give help to this persons.
  • Jacqueline123Jacqueline123 Posts: 5
    Depression always appear in our life.It let us feel hopeless in our life, makes you feel very uncomfortable in every situation.
  • MichouxeMichouxe Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jacqueline123 You have right, it always appear in our life and feel hopeless, but with help of other people or friends we come back again in a lovely world! ;)
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,992 mod
    I had a classmate at school who regularly used to miss days at a time due to depression. She takes medication and nowadays she's diagnosed as bi-polar. Yet to the world outside, she always seems to be the life and soul of the party.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,239 mod
    @Michouxe, I read your lines. I donˋt believe that you are too old for a change.

@mheredge, yours too. The world doesnˋt be as it seems to be. We believe our eyes, but the inner world of most people seems to be very different to them what we see.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,992 mod
    Too true @Hermine. With some people, it takes a long time to really get to know them.
  • TinkaTinka Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭
    There is one lovely video about the depression, which is a good description of my view of this mental condition:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=XiCrniLQGYc
    It's worthy to see it.
  • vinayagarwalkdlvinayagarwalkdl Posts: 35 ✭✭
    A human being may depressed when all the things are against of him. Someone works hard and he don't get things what he wants. Someone fail to achieve their goal after several attempts to find it. Negativity makes him hopeless and he feel himself dissolated, alone and sometimes depression leads to death also.