Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

splash out

Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
edited April 11 in Phrasal Verbs
en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/splash_out
phrasal verb British informal

Spend money freely.

... He splashed out on racing cars www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2357844/Lotto-lout-Michael-Carroll-takes-204-week-job-biscuit-factory-squandering-10m-jackpot.html#ixzz4dvRiSeyZ

... Camden Council to splash out on new parks www.camdenadvertiser.com.au/story/4587010/council-to-splash-out-on-new-parks/

... We went to an expensive restaurant and SPLASHED OUT to celebrate hwww.usingenglish.com/reference/phrasal-verbs/splash+out.html

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,279 mod
    What have you splashed out on lately @Practical_Severard?
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
    > What have you splashed out on lately @Practical_Severard?

On a Hewlett-Packard laptop computer, @Lynne . My old one was slow and kept resetting all the time while out of use. On the other hand, I could still use it. My only excuse is that I sometimes need a laptop computer to work on weekends.
  • sarahsarah Posts: 13 ✭✭
    we have splashed money out till we are in red now ( correct me)
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,079 mod
    I'm thinking about splashing out on a desktop @Practical_Severard. I don't have much space though. I used to have a TV that could be used as a screen for my computer, so something like this might be useful.
    > @mheredge said:
    > I'm thinking about splashing out on a desktop @Practical_Severard. I don't have much space though. I used to have a TV that could be used as a screen for my computer, so something like this might be useful.

Now there're many small desktops on the market, @mheredge, and certainly, this is a good choice over a laptop from the perfomance/price, upgradeability and lifespan angles of view. Still, I'd double check that using a TV as a computer screen is comfortable. Especially, if this is a family TV in a living room.
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    I think about it, I am going to splash out on a new Kindle. I have got an one but I want a new with illuminated screen. But one little problem; how explain it to my wife :)
    You should be able to justify it if it is better for your eyes @nomad81.

That is a good point @Practical_Severard given where I would sit to watch TV is not at the table like I would be using the computer. I don't have to worry about anyone else though, as I live alone.
    > That is a good point @Practical_Severard given where I would sit to watch TV is not at the table like I would be using the computer. I don't have to worry about anyone else though, as I live alone.
    Normally, the larger monitor you have, the further you need to be sitting in front of it. A large L-shaped desk may be needed.
    Well my arms are not that long so I will be looking for a small monitor @Practical_Severard. I don't like having a screen dominate the room in any case.
    > @mheredge said:
    > Well my arms are not that long so I will be looking for a small monitor @Practical_Severard. I don't like having a screen dominate the room in any case.

I think that's a wise decision. Most users are ok with 17-20 inches monitors depending on what they do with their desktops.