Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

splash out

Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
edited April 11 in Phrasal Verbs
en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/splash_out
phrasal verb British informal

Spend money freely.

... He splashed out on racing cars www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2357844/Lotto-lout-Michael-Carroll-takes-204-week-job-biscuit-factory-squandering-10m-jackpot.html#ixzz4dvRiSeyZ

... Camden Council to splash out on new parks www.camdenadvertiser.com.au/story/4587010/council-to-splash-out-on-new-parks/

... We went to an expensive restaurant and SPLASHED OUT to celebrate hwww.usingenglish.com/reference/phrasal-verbs/splash+out.html

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,478 mod
    What have you splashed out on lately @Practical_Severard?
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    > What have you splashed out on lately @Practical_Severard?

On a Hewlett-Packard laptop computer, @Lynne . My old one was slow and kept resetting all the time while out of use. On the other hand, I could still use it. My only excuse is that I sometimes need a laptop computer to work on weekends.
  • sarahsarah Posts: 15 ✭✭
    we have splashed money out till we are in red now ( correct me)
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,055 mod
    I'm thinking about splashing out on a desktop @Practical_Severard. I don't have much space though. I used to have a TV that could be used as a screen for my computer, so something like this might be useful.
    > @mheredge said:
    > I'm thinking about splashing out on a desktop @Practical_Severard. I don't have much space though. I used to have a TV that could be used as a screen for my computer, so something like this might be useful.

Now there're many small desktops on the market, @mheredge, and certainly, this is a good choice over a laptop from the perfomance/price, upgradeability and lifespan angles of view. Still, I'd double check that using a TV as a computer screen is comfortable. Especially, if this is a family TV in a living room.
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    I think about it, I am going to splash out on a new Kindle. I have got an one but I want a new with illuminated screen. But one little problem; how explain it to my wife :)
    You should be able to justify it if it is better for your eyes @nomad81.

That is a good point @Practical_Severard given where I would sit to watch TV is not at the table like I would be using the computer. I don't have to worry about anyone else though, as I live alone.
    > That is a good point @Practical_Severard given where I would sit to watch TV is not at the table like I would be using the computer. I don't have to worry about anyone else though, as I live alone.
    Normally, the larger monitor you have, the further you need to be sitting in front of it. A large L-shaped desk may be needed.
    Well my arms are not that long so I will be looking for a small monitor @Practical_Severard. I don't like having a screen dominate the room in any case.
    > @mheredge said:
    > Well my arms are not that long so I will be looking for a small monitor @Practical_Severard. I don't like having a screen dominate the room in any case.

I think that's a wise decision. Most users are ok with 17-20 inches monitors depending on what they do with their desktops.
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge After thinking, I stay with my old Kindle until it won't break down. I afraid that additional illuminate can not suit me. I have got a new idea, I want to buy a new SSD disc to my notebook.
    I have just splashed out on a little Chromebook that I intend to use when travelling.

I just read this interesting article for anyone thinking of splashing out on a laptop for studying.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2017/jun/15/buying-laptop-for-student-university