Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What was your first job?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,327 mod
I'm sure lots of us have done many different jobs before getting to our present one - or maybe you're still trying to climb the ladder in order to get to where you want to be.

But what was your very first job, and what did you think about it?

Mine was delivering newspapers, and I enjoyed it. It allowed me to do plenty of exercise, and I got paid - which was great because I was only 13 when I started delivering them.

What was your first job?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,041 mod
    My first job was a Saturday job working in a greengrocer (I was about 16 years old). The till did not work properly so it was necessary to do all the sums in my head. It made me good at mental arithmetic!
  • DeucalionDeucalion Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    My first job was weeding tomaotes during the summer vacation. I was 14 and while working on the hill I used to do just like Bobby Farrell doing in the video bellow.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo_p-FoH-tQ
  • WirginiaWirginia Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7
    My first job was work on the farm. When I was teenager I worked every holidays at the farm. Mainly it was job on the fields. I collected the poppy or I was throwing weeds from field of beet . I fed the animals. In this way I respect the money now.

------------------

My first job was to work on a farm. When I was a teenager I worked every holiday at this farm. Mainly it involved working in the fields. I picked poppies or I had to weed fields of beet. I also fed the animals. In this way I learnt to respect money.

!Note - to weed is a verb. Yes, we really do weed weeds. :smile:
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,327 mod
    Wirginia said:

My first job was work on the farm. When I was teenager I worked every holidays at the farm. Mainly it was job on the fields. I collected the poppy or I was throwing weeds from field of beet . I fed the animals. In this way I respect the money now.

I would have loved to work on a farm when I was younger, because I love animals. In fact, I would still love to do it now if I had the chance!
  • prateekprateek Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    I had worked in a local office as money counter when I was 16. I had to count all the money and write down in register before submitting to the locker room. Maybe thats why I am good with numbers.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @prateek I think you are very good with numbers, when I need someone to count my money, I ask you! ;)
    My first job was a longtime ago, it was when I am studying (more then 50 years ago). I had to help on the potato fields to sort the potatoes. There were no machines to sort the potatoes. There was a machine who pulled the potatoes out of the ground and we have to shake the earth of the potatoes and to sort by size. There we learned how hard manual labor was and I still have respect for that.
  • VladimirMVladimirM Posts: 46 ✭✭
    I am 20 years old , my first job was builder it is not good for me because i worked on height and had very low salary
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 721 ✭✭✭
    My first job was mail delivery, when I was a high school student. I rode a bicycle loaded bunches of mails, and cycled around my local town. Unfortunately, the area where I was assigned is a town on a hill, so I had to struggle to go up and down the steep slopes.
    A very hot day in the summer, an old woman in a house caught me being soaked up with sweat on the bicycle, and called me in the house and gave me a cup of cold green tea. I remember how exhilarating it was, and I was very happy.
  • mounamouna Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭
    because we have a lot of study we haven't enough time to do another job ;than I studiend and I worked in hospital as a doctor
    prateek said:

I had worked in a local office as money counter when I was 16. I had to count all the money and write down in register before submitting to the locker room. Maybe thats why I am good with numbers.

I think being good with numbers is great, and that is certainly something that you will be able to take with you in your later life in the future.
  • DiakhaDiakha Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Difficult for me to designate my first job. In fact I began to be regularly paid when I was a student. And it was different from a scolaship. I was studying mathematics and there was a great lack of professor in my country. So the gouvernent settled a policy which consisted in draining students learning maths in this profession. So after a light process of selection, they give you a salary while you pursue your studies. But you take the engagement to become a professo after your graduation. It was really great because I liked teaching. So averall, I passed to years to finish my degree and I passed two other at the school where they train teachers before I started to teach.
  • prateekprateek Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    @Diakha So you teach mathematics and from where do you belong? I was bit curious :)
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,041 mod
    While I was a student I had a couple of jobs that didn't exactly pay money, but gave me free board and lodging at the student hall of residence.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,248 mod
    My very first job was in a shop. We sold toys and porcelan stuff. There I had my own till, it was an old wooden drawer, some sections for coins. I was pretty proud when my in- and out- transactions went free of mistakes at the end of the day.

We often had to dust the sculptures, that was really a challenge for me, because I was so clumpsy at the age of 15/16. Iˋd done this kind of job during summer vacation.
  • christellechristelle Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I worked in a bank as a trainee when I was a student, before becoming a teacher.
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭
    I work with my father when I am free from my studies. I am helping my father now on my book shop. It's very hectic in season. Uffs! :s
    @mohit_singh your father has a bookshop, I am jealous, why isn't he my dad? ;)
  • MichouxeMichouxe Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Paulette
    I did my first job when I was no fourteen years old, I couldn't follow in de school and in this time you had to going to work of your parents!
    If I was a little girl I’m went to a bakery and the wife of the baker was a sweet lady, who always promised, later you come to work for me!
    If I bought the bread she gave me always something , a little cake, a candy etc
    And yes I could work there, but meanwhile it wasn’t more the sweet lady, It was the daughter-in-law and she wasn’t so friendly!
    I loved the work and the people, but that woman.... :s
    The baker he was always friendly!
    I worked there just a year if my mother searched other work for me, In the men's clothing as seamstress. :)
  • Hans90Hans90 Posts: 16 ✭✭
    my first job was was cashier in an international Hotel
    it was interesting, although it was a bit difficult against my experience
    Within this period of time, I learned a lot, especially in dealing with all kinds of people.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    @Hans90
    Was English the language you used while working as a staff at the international hotel?
    Paulette wrote: »
    @mohit_singh your father has a bookshop, I am jealous, why isn't he my dad? ;)

Don't worry ,he will not let you read other novel or something. @Paulette He think that only course book is sufficient to increase my knowledge. So I have downloaded books from kindle.but I couldn't get time to read any one of them now.In these days the costumer are in large number as the new session started in school. Everyone came to buy new books and copies. It's too hectic now. I only help my father in this hectic season, every year for a month or so.
    edited April 10
    Life seems to be unfairly tough to you sometimes, @mohit_singh . It just struck me that it would be better if you become a boss and delegate difficult things to subordinates.
    Deucalion wrote: »
    Life seems to be unfairly tough to you sometimes, @mohit_singh . It just struck me that it would be better if you become a boss and delegate difficult things to subordinates.

It's never easy or tough if you enjoy and have responsibility towards your job. Even a boss have responsibility to do the work in deadline. Isn't it? Good post brings great responsibility.

When I used to sit in the bookshop counter, I was alway afraid that I was returning more money then I should. After several practice now that fear get faded.Its not easy to instruct if you yourself don't know much about situation. Bosses should have good experience then subordinate. Isn't? @Deucalion
    edited April 10
    > @mohit_singh said:
    > It's never easy or tough if you enjoy and have responsibility towards your job. Even a boss have responsibility to do the work in deadline. Isn't it? Good post brings great responsibility.
    Its not easy to instruct if you yourself don't know much about situation. Bosses should have good experience then subordinate. Isn't? @Deucalion

That's right, @mohit_singh , being a boss implies a lot of responsibility. After you gain experience in the position of a higher-up, you learn how to surround yourself with resourceful and trustworthy subordinates able to meet deadlines. Also you learn how to delegate your responsibility to them, so as they take the responsibility for any failures. Being boss is a whole art.
    I couldn't agree more @Deucalion . Now I am curious to know more about you. Are you a boss somewhere? :p
    I couldn't agree more @Deucalion . Now I am curious to know more about you. Are you a boss somewhere? :p
    mheredge said:

While I was a student I had a couple of jobs that didn't exactly pay money, but gave me free board and lodging at the student hall of residence.

That is probably worth so much money than money as a student, though, because cost of living is so difficult to keep up with sometimes.
  • nmoskovkinnmoskovkin Posts: 20 ✭✭
    When I was 16 I was helping to make a fence on the street. At this moment I had salary about 10$ per day. But it was enough.