Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

How do you revise for exams?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 6,729 mod
We are all either sitting exams at the moment, or will have had to sit them in the past - but how do you revise?

Personally, I would make notes on all of the topics, read through them, and then try to re-write them in various ways. That seemed to work very well indeed for me.

I know other people who like to record themselves speaking the notes and then listening back to them.

What about you? What is the best way for you to revise?

Comments

• prateekprateek Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    What revise? :o
    I study before the night of the exam and it eliminates the headache of revision and then the best creativity and some of the new types of approach towards the problems can be seen on an answer sheet. Its makes studies more adventurous and also I don't feel like getting disturbed with anything while studying a night before the exam. It makes brain efficient to handle pressure and train brain to handle pressure and work efficiently under great pressure. :D

P.S. : of course I am kidding, it will be a disaster in exams if anybody tries the above method. ;)
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,729 mod
    prateek said:

What revise? :o

I study before the night of the exam and it eliminates the headache of revision and then the best creativity and some of the new types of approach towards the problems can be seen on an answer sheet. Its makes studies more adventurous and also I don't feel like getting disturbed with anything while studying a night before the exam. It makes brain efficient to handle pressure and train brain to handle pressure and work efficiently under great pressure. :D

P.S. : of course I am kidding, it will be a disaster in exams if anybody tries the above method. ;)

I know of a lot of people who genuinely do simply read over all of their notes the night before, and that is enough to allow them to pass the exam. I am very jealous of people who are so talented with their memory.
  • sammanisammani Posts: 418 ✭✭✭
    Usually I read my lecture note and I make my own short note.I include information as points.In addition I add information from my reference sources .but incase of mathematics I solve lots of problems and I pointed special sum when It is difficult to solve.then before taking the exam I go through those problems as well. :)
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,101 mod
    I used to revise the same way as you @GemmaRowlands. I found by rewriting my notes, it stuck in my head better.
    mheredge said:

I used to revise the same way as you @GemmaRowlands. I found by rewriting my notes, it stuck in my head better.

Yes exactly, and plus you will need to write the facts down in the exam anyway, so it is always like good practice to write them down as you revise.
    edited March 9
    I'm not sure whether you have to already have Facebook to access this, but I was reminded today how the children at the school Rural Assistance Nepal revise - that is what terrible cheats they are! These children were writing on their hands cheat notes. I think that year there was a big scandal and the students who were taking their School Leaving Certificate were found colluding with their teachers and so they were all failed and had to retake the exam a few months later.

Rural Assistance Nepal: www.rannepal.org
    mheredge said:

I'm not sure whether you have to already have Facebook to access this, but I was reminded today how the children at the school Rural Assistance Nepal revise - that is what terrible cheats they are! These children were writing on their hands cheat notes. I think that year there was a big scandal and the students who were taking their School Leaving Certificate were found colluding with their teachers and so they were all failed and had to retake the exam a few months later.

Rural Assistance Nepal: www.rannepal.org

I think that is a problem in many countries. When I was taking exams I know of a lot of people who wrote answers somewhere on their body so that they could look.
    It is bad when teachers set such a bad example though @GemmaRowlands.
  • walterwalter Posts: 174 ✭✭
    I never was learne night before exam. I consider that it`s not possible. How anyone can to learn for example 200, 300 lists of paper for one night? The shortest exam I preparied for a five days.
    mheredge said:

It is bad when teachers set such a bad example though @GemmaRowlands.

Yes I know. It is astonishing at how much of an influence adults can have on children anyway, so it's bad when a teacher sets a bad example.
    If anything I always advise students not to open their books the night before but to relax and have an early night @walter.
  • walterwalter Posts: 174 ✭✭
    @mheredge that is a super advise. I also when I was be a student, never learn night before exam, totaly opposite day before exam I never was learning or I was learning very a bit, just repeat was I what learning until then. Are you teacher mheredge?
    mheredge said:

If anything I always advise students not to open their books the night before but to relax and have an early night @walter.

My teachers often used to tell me that, too, although I did usually carry on with my revision the night before, if I'm being honest.