Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Music Round Up

rupsilrupsil Posts: 509 ✭✭✭✭✭
News about music.

Comments

• ZomZom Shadok Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent job @rupsil, I mean Dino Horacio. :+1:
    You might have to publish the text too as it's great when we can read along. ^.^

Guys, I would like to have a monthly MRU on ER? What about you?
    @Rema, @aladdin, @Lynne, @ER_Listeners
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
  • RemaRema Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've just listened to the Music Round Up #001 :)
    Perfectly clear sound(without any background noises) and I can say, without pretending, that it is awesome B)
    Marko
  • rupsilrupsil Posts: 509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Music Round Up #002: https://www.spreaker.com/user/dino_horacio/music-round-up-002

Music Round Up #002

Radiohead's Saddest Song Revealed

If there's one thing Radiohead are known for it's sad songs, but which one is the actually the saddest? In reality, that's pretty subjective, but just for kicks, data scientist Charlie Thompson decided to crunch some data and reveal what he believes to be the band's "most depressing song".

Thompson used Spotify’s API to pull information about every track from Radiohead’s nine studio albums. One such piece of information is a metric called "valence", which is essentially a measure from 0.0 to 1.0 describing the "musical positiveness conveyed by a track". He then took this information and combined it with an analysis of how many "sad words" each track contained. For example, "High and Dry" has the most, being made up from 36% sad words. As if this wasn't all enough, Thompson finally determined how important the sad words were in each track, and combined all this information to produce a "Gloom Index".

Long story short, it was decided that "True Love Waits" is Radiohead's saddest song, receiving a Gloom Index score of 1 out of a possible 100.

Deep Purple: the 20th studio album

Deep Purple drummer Ian Paice says the band still feel like “a bunch of kids” when they’re making music together.

They’re gearing up for the launch of their 20th studio album InFinite on April 7 which will be followed by The Long Goodbye tour.

He said: “It’s hard to accept that this thing you helped to create and grew up with will be no more. When we can no longer cut the mustard on stage, then we’ll think about hanging the boots up.
    “Go and listen to 1972 live album Made In Japan and glory in the fact that there were a bunch of kids who could back then capture all that craziness and still have a measure of control.
    “Now listen to what we’re doing all these years later, and inside we’re still a bunch of kids. You don’t have to lose your love for making music.”

U2 to Pack 'Joshua Tree' Reissue With Demos, Outtakes, New Remixes

U2 marked the 30th anniversary of their seminal 1987 album "The Joshua Tree" Thursday with the announcement of an expansive reissue out June 2nd.

The new box set will feature demos, studio outtakes, B-sides and a 1987 concert recording at Madison Square Garden. U2 also tapped several producers to contribute new remixes of album cuts, including Daniel Lanois, Brian Eno, Flood, Steve Lillywhite, Jacknife Lee and St. Francis Hotel.

Band's 30th anniversary reissue also includes 1987 MSG show and previously unreleased photos from original Mojave Desert sessions

Sia and P!nk’s new single ‘Waterfall’

Sia and P!nk have shared their collaborative track ‘Waterfall’. The two artists teamed up with Norwegian songwriting duo Stargate on the track
    According to Digital Spy, Sia was the one to make the collaboration happen, with the star bringing P!nk on board for the song, which she also co-wrote with Diplo and Jr Blender.

Prince’s music to return to streaming services

The music of late pop icon Prince will return to the majority of streaming services, according to reports.

Prince, who died aged 57 following an accidental fentanyl overdose in April last year, pulled his music from all streaming services with the exception of Tidal in 2015.

But the Financial Times says that the albums he created while signed to Warner Bros will return to streaming services including Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, Deezer and iHeartRadio.

Those include "Purple Rain", '1999", "Sign ‘O’ The Times", "Lovesexy", "Batman" and "Diamonds And Pearls".

Prince’s estate is said to be auctioning off material the late star recorded after he split with Warner in 1996.

Speaking recently with Billboard, Prince’s estate advisers Charles Koppelman and Londell McMillan said there had been a great deal of interest from companies looking to honour Prince’s legacy.

Koppelman said: “There's tremendous interest in doing things with his legacy, whether it's a motion picture, documentaries, Broadway, Cirque de Soleil. All of those are opportunities that I think are in the future for Londell and me and the estate to work on.”
    “Prince has amazing content beyond the music. There are filmed recordings of the most amazing performances that we haven't even begun to discuss.”

Prince's Paisley Park home was given the green light in October last year to become a permanent museum.
    Yeah! Not even a month has passed. Thank you @rupsil.
    >.<
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,639 mod
    I have heard there is a "secret stash" of Prince recordings.
    I always knew he had a safe box with songs enough for 10 years.
  • aladdinaladdin Radio Producer LEOnetworkPosts: 1,558 mod
    Thanks @aladdin :)
    Yeah! Awesome. You've to know that you're my main source when it comes to what's going on in the music world @rupsil.
    The piece of news about the diva's riff-off made me think of the song about the young professors and old professors in one of the Anything But playlist.
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭✭
    Wao, so you became a jockey for English radio. @rupsil or Dino Horacio. Nice to hear more from you!
    Thanks @mohit_singh .

Dino Horacio is used just to have more space on Spreaker :D
    edited May 24
    You're surprising @rupsil. >.< Love it.
    https://www.spreaker.com/user/dino_horacio/music-round-up-005

Music Round Up #005

Joan Baez, the Sixties icon helped invent the idea of the protest singer – more than five decades later, she's still at it.

When Joan Baez shared a bill with the Indigo Girls about 20 years ago, a young fan approached, asking for an autograph – for his grandmother. "Tell your grandmother to go @!~* herself!" said Baez, who saw the show as a way to connect with a new generation of fans. Today, in the airy kitchen of her home near Palo Alto, California, with its view of the Santa Cruz Mountains and a painting of a nude woman above the fireplace, Baez winces at the memory. "I felt so awful and said, 'I'm sorry – of course I'll sign it.'"
    Baez, 76, loves to play against her image as the serene, hyperserious matriarch of folk music. Resting her chin on her hand, she flashes her recent metal-chick tattoo: a series of circles and arrows that rings her right wrist, from a visit to New Zealand with her son, Gabe. In 2010, when she was invited to perform at a White House celebration of music from the civil-rights era, Baez refused a request, from Michelle Obama, to sing If I Had a Hammer. "That is the most annoying song," Baez says. "I told them, 'If I had a hammer – I'd hit myself on the head. Ain't gonna do it.' "
    Baez has been famous for nearly six decades. Born on Staten Island, the daughter of a physicist who rejected defense work for education and pacifism, she grew up in this area of California, moved with her family to a Boston suburb in the late Fifties, and began singing in local coffee shops. Baez became an icon and influenced a generation of rising singers.
    Baez's importance was more than just musical. She became the moral center of the anti-war and social-justice movements that rose up in the Sixties. She sang at the 1963 March on Washington; opened the Institute for the Study of Nonviolence, in Northern California; visited Vietnam during the war; and went to jail for 11 days for participating in a sit-in at a military induction center.

Hear Willie Nelson Remember Merle Haggard in New He Won't Ever Be GoneI/i>.

April 6 was a bittersweet day for Merle Haggard fans. It was on this day, 80 years ago, that the Bakersfield legend was born, and it was on the same day, 12 months ago, that he passed away. To honor his late friend, Willie Nelson has released a heartbreaking new video for the song He Won’t Ever Be Gone, which appears on the new album God’s Problem Child.
    Got the news this morning, Nelson sings in the opening line of the song. “Knew it’d be a tough one.” The Red Headed Stranger, whose own health scares have struck fear into the hearts of country fans everywhere in recent months, delivers a touching tribute to The Hag, his voice brittle as he chronicles their friendship and ruminates on mortality between references to Haggard’s most well-known songs.
    He Won’t Ever Be Gone is the final song on God’s Problem Child, which was released on April 28th, the day before Nelson’s 84th birthday.

77 AC/DC songs performed in 5 minutes at an electrical substation

Kye Smith is a man who's mastered the internet. The drummer with Aussie punks Local Resident Failure, for the last four years he's built a very successful sideline in drum-related YouTube videos. Kye's trick is to take a band's back catalogue and compress it into a five-minute chronology, and the latest to benefit from Smith's percussion and video editing skills are AC/DC.
    For this new venture he's been joined by Frenzal Rhomb guitarist Lindsay McDougall, for a video shot at the Newcastle Substation at Killingworth, New South Wales.
    "The first chronological medley I attempted covered every Fat Wreck Chords release from their beginning as a label up until the time of recording," says Smith. "I thought it would be cool to try and capture the progression of the label and its artists and put it all together in a short video that would also test of my drumming ability. I was lucky enough to score my first ‘viral’ video and was completely blown away with the response. From then I decided that drum chronologies were the way to go..."

Other artists to have undergone Smith's treatment include The Beatles, Green Day, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Blink-182 and The Descendents.

Aerosmith's Tyler “can’t say for sure” if tour will be their last

Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler says he’s unsure if the band’s upcoming "Aero-Vederci Baby Farewell Tour" will be their last.
    Guitarist Joe Perry reported last week that he thinks the band have at least one more album in them before they retire – and hinted that the upcoming live dates weren’t the last they would play together.
    He explains: “We’ve gone through trying to get a job in a club that we thought was the only way we could pay our rent – to being in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, and everything in between – rehabs, arguments, children being born, marriages coming and going, ups and downs, different managers, lawsuits and record labels.
    He adds: “The band’s been together for 40 years. Can you imagine? There are no marriages together for 40 years where the passion still runs as deep as it did the first 10 years, in my humble opinion – but the passion is still there.”
    Tyler also admits he still gets emotional when Aerosmith are onstage and playing their classic tracks in front of their fans.
    He says: “At rehearsal the other day, I haven’t seen the guys in a long time, and we have our differences. It’s outrageous the shit that sometimes gets in the way."
    “But once we start playing, I get as emotional as people in the audience when they hear songs like Love In An Elevator or Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing or Walk This Way. It triggers their remembrances of way back when.
    "So I’m really looking forward to being on tour with them. Performing for two hours, my body wakes up, so it’s totally aerobic and it just turns into the way it was when I was 18, so it feels great.”

Depeche Mode
    Fourteenth studio album sees the Mode turn dark and angry.

AFTER A TRILOGY OF RECORDS with producer Ben Hillier, Depeche Mode have changed up and turned to James Ford (Arctic Monkeys, Foals) for sonic guidance. The result is their heaviest-sounding album for years, filled with thumping electronics matched to a furious state-of-the-world address which reaches a peak with the railing against political apathy in Where’s The Revolution and the distorted-voiced disgust of Scum. In contrast, amid the Angelo Badalamenti-styled soundscape of the Worst Crime, violent racism is tackled with affecting sadness, and the noir ’60s-echoing, Dave Gahan-written showstopper Poison Heart spotlights the singer detailing a broken relationship with a femme fatale. Blow by blow, it all adds up to Depeche Mode’s best album this century.
    I had never heard of "Les sales Majestés" before.
    @Zom , there is always the first time. :D
    And they are not a new band.
    @rupsil - I'm not sure it'll go further than the listen I had via your news edition, but Mamani Keita, it's a different story. I love it. :D
    DOGGY STYLE parties??? Really?
    @Lynne I guess the parties are related to their 1st album "Doggy Style" :D
    The Foo Fighters headlined at Glastonbury last night.
    https://www.spreaker.com/user/dino_horacio/international-music-003

International Music #003

Lenine

Lenine is a Brazilian singer-writer, with compositions that mix electronic music, northeastern Brazilian rhythms and samba.
    He attracted international attention when the US group "Living Color" appeared in one of his songs.
    With two Latin Grammys, Lenine has a long list of songs written for many famous Brazilian singers.

Esau Mwamwaya

Esau Mwamwaya was born in Mzuzu, Malawi but grew up in the capital, Lilongew, where he played drums in various bands and move to London in 1999, where he knew the producer of the band Radioclit.
    In 2008 they created a project known as "The Very Best", which had the collaborations of many artists. The songs are sung in Chichewa, the national language of Malawi.

Sauti Sol & Ali Kiba

Sauti Sol is a Kenyan afro-pop band with successful tours in Africa and Europe.
    After clinching a nomination for best international act at the BET awards and getting Barack Obama to do the Lipala dance in 2015, frontline Kenyan boy band Sauti Sol’s hot streak continued this year with the stellar monochrome visuals for the a cappella hit Kuliko Jana. Their biggest work was linking with Tanzania’s Alikiba for the dance number Unconditionally Bae, which has racked up over 4 million YouTube views.

Ali Kiba is a Tanzanian singer, songwriter, record producer, dancer and actor and member of Tanzania wildaid.
    In 2011, he was voted as "the most popular artist top selling in East Africa".

Sonu Nigan, Mahalashmi Lyer

Sonu Nigan is an Indian singer whose songs have been featured mainly in Hindi and Kannada, and acted in many films in Bollywood.
    Mahalakshmi Lyer is an India singer best known for her Hindi and Tamil songs.
    The song you're listening to is part of the soundtrack of the movie Slumdog Millionaire.
    https://www.spreaker.com/user/dino_horacio/international-music-005

International Music #005

Julieta Venegas

Julieta Venegas is an American-born Mexican singer, songwriter, instrumentalist and producer, who sings pop-rock in Spanish. She speaks English, Portuguese, and Spanish fluently. She grew up in Tijuana and began studying music at age eight. She went on to join several bands including Mexican ska band Tijuana No!.

She plays several instruments including acoustic guitar, accordion, and keyboard. She has won six Latin Grammys and one Grammy Award among other awards. She has composed music for theater and performed in soundtracks for two movies.

Light in Babylon

Praised by Roots Magazine as “A celebration of the cosmopolitan traditions of both Istanbul and the Sephardic Jewish community and another example of the great music that is coming out of the Eastern Mediterranean right now”, Light in Babylon brought to the world scene their first official album Life sometimes doesn’t give you space in 2012 and on November 2016 their new second album Yeni Dunya ( which means in Turkish – New World)
    Their project is the fusion of different ethnicities and cultures, the singer is Israeli from Iranian origin, the santur player is Turkish, the guitarist is French and they cooperate with musicians from different origin as well (Turkish, English and more).
    As an example of the multicultural and alternative scene in the middle east, the band gives through music all the love that it carries in his heart to inspire individual healing with the wish that every human will follow the vision of a world full of diversity, freedom, peace and light.

Célia Cruz

Célia Cruz was a Cuban singer of Latin music. She was known for her powerful voice and her rhythm-centric musical style. The most popular Latin artist of the 20th century, gaining twenty-three gold albums during her career, was awarded by US President Bill Clinton with the National Medal of Arts in 1994. She was renowned internationally as the "Queen of Salsa", "La Guarachera de Cuba", as well as The Queen of Latin Music.

She spent much of her career working in the United States and several Latin American countries, being an ambassador for the variety and vitality of the music of her native Havana, and after the Cuban revolution she became a symbol of artistic freedom for Cuban American exiles.

Queen Sea Big Shark

Queen Sea Big Shark is a Beijing based Chinese Indie rock band, and one of the most watched bands in the Beijing scene and one of the most admired among the younger bands. They have a hard, very funky but also very hard-rocking sound that in some ways recreates the New York scene of the early 1980s.
    They guarantee a barrage of rock n' roll-electro power punches from one of the most ferocious rockers on the Beijing scene. QSBS rarely disappoints in delivering tight, raunchy instrumentation fronted by the frenetic, full-body assault of singer Fu Han, a woman seemingly possessed on stage.
  • aladdinaladdin Radio Producer LEOnetworkPosts: 1,558 mod
    MRU with @rupsil broadcasting from today on ER @ 6:00 and @21:00
  • ZainZain Posts: 13 ✭✭
    :) good work.

Not available in my country.