Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Hermineˋs 2 essay

HermineHermine ModeratorPosts: 6,655 mod
edited April 2 in Your Writing
Maybug

Today is the 1st April. Spring is everywhere visible. Lots of trees are shooting and grassˋs getting greener and so do the hedges.
The other days we saw lots of maybugs and that isnˋt a very good sign. They come out ever four years and eat all the green stuff they can get. Itˋs a horrible plague. My neighbour has got a big cherry tree in the garden and at twilight the bugs come in swarms and eat all the leaves and flowers off. That procedure last a few days and the tree is left naked by then.
Have you got a similar problem in your country? Is there any solution around?

Our orchard is so wonderful in progress, but it isnˋt taken for granted if we can do any harvesting of apples this year.

I could understand if you ask yourself why I talk about maybugs at the beginning of April. Well, weˋre having pretty hot days and that brings the bugs out earlier. A maybug is a resistend one and it has got a strong hard shell.
Post edited by Hermine on

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,063 mod
    Today is the 1st April. Spring is visible everywhere. Lots of trees are sprouting with shoots and the grass is getting greener and so are the hedges.
    The other days we saw lots of maybugs and that isn't a very good sign. They come out every four years and eat all the green stuff they can get. It's a horrible plague. My neighbour has got a big cherry tree in the garden and at twilight the bugs come in swarms and eat all the leaves and flowers off. This at procedure lasts a few days and the tree is left naked by then.
    Have you got a similar problem in your country? Is there any solution around?

Our orchard is so wonderful in progress, but it isnˋt taken for granted if we can will dohave any harvesting of apples this year.

I could understand if you ask yourself why I talk about maybugs at the beginning of April. Well, we're having pretty hot days and that brings the bugs out earlier. A maybug is a resistant one and it has got a strong hard shell.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,655 mod
    @Marianne, thank you for the correction.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    > @Hermine said:
    > Maybug

> Have you got a similar problem in your country? Is there any solution around?
    >
    Well, yes it's a problem here too. As for how to deal with it:

1. Birds eat bugs so you can try to attract them into the garden. Starlings find maybugs especially tasty. Install some bird houses in the garden. (But check beforehand whether it's the bird mating time in your area - it's late when they have got eggs)

2. Maybug males swamp to a light source. This is used to build bug traps. Dig in two posts and stretch an old sheet out between the posts. When dark put a strong light source like a fluorescent lamp behind the sheet. The bugs would fly into the sheet, when there are many of them, roll it up and burn the sheet in a bucket.

3. Collecting bugs by hand may be also necessary. Put on rubber gloves, collect bugs into a glass jar, then kill them with boiling water.

4. Insecticides. There are many of them and the Russian tradenames may be not known in your place, so select yourself/ask an advice, but read the manuals carefully. They may be incompatible with the birds.

Then, adult maybugs aren't so harmful to a fruit tree as their grubs.
    Regularly water the soil around your tree with onion peel infusion during the whole vegetation period. (Recipe: 1/3 of onion peel, the rest is water, draw for 5-7 days). Start when the soil is warm enough (e.g. grass is sprouting)
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,655 mod
    @Practical_Severard, Iˋm impressed by all your knowledge about maybugs. You seems very experienced. Thanks !!
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    Oh, don't mention this, @Hermine , that's been easy.