Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Discuss and choose #1

takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
You open the thick heavy wooden door and enter the room. It doesn't have a window. It's rather dark inside so you can't see the other end of the room clearly. You notice a table in the middle of the room, and a small box on it. You begin wallking slowly to the table. You are midway to the table when you hear the door shut behind you and the sound of it being locked. It made you surprise but you settle down. You take a look around. Several torches on the walls are the only lights in the room. You notice something that looks like a bag in the corner.

What would you do?
(1) Check out the samll box on the table and see what's inside.
(2) Go over to the bag in the corner of the room and see what it is.
(3) Go back to the door and see if it's really locked.

I will continue the story depending on your choice. You can ask me questions before you make up your mind.

Have a safe adventure!

Comments

• ZomZom Shadok Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1
    (a)
    I'm half way to the table and I have hardly any doubt that the door has been slammed shut, so I'll keep walking toward the table and open that small box to see what's inside.
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @takafromtokyo why do I enter the room? Am I invited by a friend or is it for an introduction talk or something else? Do you know I'm wary of unknown things.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    @Zom
    Thanks for your vote. You're the first one to cast a vote.

Okay, you want to check out the box. But let's wait for more others to join so we can talk it over.

@Paulette
    Good question! Actually, you entered the room by your instinct.
    You are a traveler, or more accurately, a treasure hunter. You don't live in a fixed location. (Just like you, @mheredge ) You always travel from place to place looking for hidden treasures. Recently, you heard through the grapevine that the Princess of Evergreen has gone missing. The rumor has it that she's been kidnapped and taken away. You thought you will get quite an amount of reward money if you could find and bring her back.

You were walking in the deep forest on the way to Evergreen when you noticed a wooden door hidden between two large rocks. You thought about ignoring it and just head for the country first, but something told you you should at least take a peek inside, and you couldn't resist the temptation. You pushed the door softly, and to your surprise, it wasn't locked.

@jackelliot @chyijung @zaiymurs @mohit_singh @Shishio13

You can ask me questions before making the choice!
    @takafromtokyo
    I was startled by the sound of the closing door and ran back and tried to open the door. I initially thought not at the box and the bag but got a claustrophobic reaction. The flickering flames of the torches on the wall brought me back to my sense and I thought, "Maybe the key to open the door is in the small box" and so I looked in the box ........
  • MichouxeMichouxe Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m sure that I go back to the door to see or it’s really is locked
    I find it frightening to be locked, and the box doesn't interest me, because I'm afraid!
  • prateekprateek Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    @takafromtokyo
    It's feels like if I am already trapped.
    So I will like (1) check out the small box on the table and see what's inside because locking of the door doesn't much matter as I am already in the room by my own and came here to find something.
    and the corners of the room is little far from table and me. So I will check small box.
    If a had my phone I call my partner for help me, I think the box can be dangerous! :p
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    @Zom @prateek @Paulette

Michouxe thinks the box is too dangerous. Do you still want to check it out to see what's inside?
    @takafromtokyo
    Why swould be the little box dangerous, I think it's a test to determine who is going to the little box or the large bag, because there is a proverb that says: "Who wants to see the little things not deserve the bigger ones". In the big bag there is a treasure but as the door is closed what can a man do with riches?
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
    Someone who the door locked hasn't good intentions, maybe is there a toxic spider or snake in the box!
    @takafromtokyo

When we chose the little box, there comes a good ghost who says to us "well done" you are successfully passed the first test, now you can find even more tests on your trip trough the woods and the door swings promt open.
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4
    I have no questions so I am going to answer directly, what I would do in that situation. If that room is eerie, I will check the door first as it is not possible that door gets locked by itself.I will knock the door with full potential and sought for someone. There might be someone on the door and if s/he or ghosts is doing a prank I could guess it.
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭
    Is that Little box glittering or sparkling in that gloomy room?
    If yes , there must be some magic.black or white?
  • prateekprateek Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    @takafromtokyo
    Yeah I find this option logical, so I will still stick to this option.
    @takafromtokyo
    I don't believe in good ghosts and I find it not a joke! I'm going try to open the door and maybe I find a crowbar? But not in the box it's too dangerous!
    @takafromtokyo
    A logical mind wants to find a solution to open the door and therefore is look in the box a good solution. The closed door is a cry to help someone in emergency. A supernatural person has someone captured and this person can be freed with different tasks. In the little box is the key for the door and also a note for take the bag which contains a new task to rescue the trapped person.
    @takafromtokyo
    I think that the person who closed the door have a surprise in the little box, but I think he can maybe ask for ransom and let it know in the box to his victims.
    edited April 5
    @takafromtokyo
    Have we food in the room, maybe in the box? but I don't trust the box!!! I'm very hungry!
    It's about time for a solution don’t you think?
    @Michouxe what do you think is in the box to eat, maybe seed for feed the birds in the woods, but where can you then find the key to open the door?
    @Paulette
    Thats just the problem the door is closed and we have no food and I will not open the box! maybe you can open the box?
    @Michouxe I am sure in the box is the key and we take the bag with us ( in the bag is the food for our trip )and both walk further in the woods and make the tasks asked by the invisible person. Ik think we find a treasure!!!!!
    @Paulette you open the box? and what's happening when I'm right? But we must eat, so I follow you with the risk that it is dangerous!
    @Michouxe we must take the risk because we are locked and if there is no food enough then we die. I like more of the adventurous walk through the woods. Our motto is be fighting for our lives and our future. Will we take the risk?
    @Paulette
    Okay, we take the risk, but what do you think we are going with the other people or only we both?
    @Michouxe @takafromtokyo

Everybody is welcome to accompagny us in this dangerous walk through the woods. let's go!
    edited April 6
    @Paulette
    Do you think we must waiting on @takafromtokyo, maybe they put the box in the dark room and is she a dangerous person?
    @Michouxe @takafromtokyo

we are eagerly waiting of our adventure
    Perhaps took @takafromtokyo the flight! And@paulette have you opened the box?