Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

cool downed anger on the time

DeriocDerioc Posts: 95 ✭✭
Dear readers,
Since last year I resided to NYC as an International student, and exploring the city on any spare time I got. Yesterday morning, I went to downtown of NYC to meet some old interesting friends. But on the way back I called a taxi through Uber company the driver got really upset on me because he got misunderstanding on the address what I told him. He was shouting from the window of taxi, then come out with scolding me, again went back to the taxi. I was looking at him and wondering that if he wants drive for me or not. Then he come out again and said sorry. Fortunately, I was not complete upset is yet my fierce anger was just impending. That sorry prevented my anger, so I smiled him and said it ok. While we are driving I knew that his English is very broken and hard to understand. He told me that he lived in the city for 21 years with kits, and people who were around him speak only Spanish. He was originally from Dominican Republic, a very conscience person. His situation reminded me Manuel of Fawlty Tower, a British comedy show.

Comments

• soupmantrasoupmantra Posts: 298 ✭✭
    It is good to hear that finally everything turned out okay. And the necessity of learning English is being increasing day by day. English is also becoming common language in the world. I hope that more and more people learn in their lifetime basic English if not fluent English.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,992 mod
    I have learned how important it is when giving addresses to taxis to be absolutely clear where exactly you mean. Sometimes there are places that sound the same or if you pronounce it wrongly, maybe sound like somewhere completely different.
  • DeriocDerioc Posts: 95 ✭✭
    @mheredge You are right, my English is totally broken usually. But that time I did my best. I was with an American, and I made phone call front of him. Then said address three times clearly. I said "between third and lexington Avenue" but the guy heard "between Park and Lexington Avenue". Dominican English could be sounds like Spanish.
  • DeriocDerioc Posts: 95 ✭✭
    @soupmantra English is very hard language. I learn English for almost three years but still can't understand all speech. What ever I wrote there are grammatical errors. When it comes in a new subject there are bunch of new vocabularies to learn. Phrases and Idioms, academic way of speaking. Woo. English is not easy but just making common conversation in English is not that challengeable.