Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What do you think is the perfect first date?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,307 mod
I have been thinking recently about first dates. When you meet someone for the first time, what do you think is the best thing to do, and why?

I think something simple like a walk in the park is nice - because it's relaxed, and there's no money involved, so you don't have to worry about who is going to pay for it!

What do you think?

Comments

• mounamouna Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭
    I think it's necessary to invite him and drink a coffee,I don't spend a lot of money.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,307 mod
    mouna said:

I think it's necessary to invite him and drink a coffee,I don't spend a lot of money.

That sounds good, because then it means that you can talk to each other about your likes and dislikes, and there are no distractions. So if you get on well, you will be able to tell immediately.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,992 mod
    I think going to see a movie is good as a first date. It gives you something to talk about and the views of what the other person thinks of the movie help you find out more about them easily.
  • psymonologypsymonology Posts: 15 ✭✭
    @mheredge i don't think cinema is a best option for the first date because generally people tend to be kinda shy for the first meet. And seeing movie takes a long silent time and just makes the date more unnatural. We should break the ice as soon as possible for the great will's upcoming. Personally, on the first date, we should take time for a common activity such as : cooking
    Cooking is a good activity but if it's a first date, do you mean cooking in your home @psymonology or in a cooking class? The very reason I think seeing a movie on a first date is that especially if you are a bit shy, this forms a stress-free way to break the ice.
    mheredge said:

Cooking is a good activity but if it's a first date, do you mean cooking in your home @psymonology or in a cooking class? The very reason I think seeing a movie on a first date is that especially if you are a bit shy, this forms a stress-free way to break the ice.

I don't think I would want to go to someone's home for a first date, as I wouldn't know enough about the person to be able to trust them.
    Exactly my thoughts @GemmaRowlands. Obviously if there are a few other people who you know, this might be okay. Otherwise I'd be quite nervous about doing this @pysmonologue. G
    Exactly my thoughts @GemmaRowlands. Obviously if there are a few other people who you know, this might be okay. Otherwise I'd be quite nervous about doing this @pysmonologue.
    mheredge said:

Exactly my thoughts @GemmaRowlands. Obviously if there are a few other people who you know, this might be okay. Otherwise I'd be quite nervous about doing this @pysmonologue. G

Yes, it might be better if there were a group of people going. But I certainly wouldn't want to be on my own with somebody I had never met. They could be anyone!
  • Halia_9922Halia_9922 Posts: 23 ✭✭
    I'm really a books lover so for me is stay in a coffee shop, speak about books and trips, eat coffee cakes and obviously coffee...I think that I'll fall in love with him hahahaha
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,476 mod
    I can think of worse ways to build a relationship on @Halia_9922. :)
  • Halia_9922Halia_9922 Posts: 23 ✭✭
    @Lynne Hhahaha...Perfect date: Speak in a park of everything with her/him, that is because you would meet very well the person and that build a good relationship
  • nomad81nomad81 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    edited July 7
    I think, prescription on a perfect date: talking, listening to second person and good coffee. Place a on a first date: a small local cafe.
  • jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 737 OTT
    one which leads to the second

I'm really a books lover so for me is stay in a coffee shop, speak about books and trips, eat coffee cakes and obviously coffee...I think that I'll fall in love with him hahahaha

I adore reading, so I think if you can find someone who you can discuss books with, you are automatically well on your way to a wonderful relationship that you will both be able to enjoy.