Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Hermineˋs 1 essay

HermineHermine ModeratorPosts: 6,655 mod
edited March 27 in Your Writing
How to teach twenty pupils and one with special needs.

The class in school where Iˋm in for a few hours a day is occupied with pupils at the age from 10 to 11. A few of them are still childish and a few are ahead in their age, but that is nature and she is perfect. (Is nature a she or a it?)

There once I watched a boy playing with a self-made fluffy rabbit whereas another boy was fascinated at looking a young girl in a school magazin. One third of the kids are pretty fast thinkers, they can follow the teacherˋs stuff easily. The other part is also clever but need a little more exercise.
The boy Iˋm looking for has great difficulties to follow the lessons. In German grammar he also has to learn the causes: subject, predicate and objects and to name all the causes. To find the subjects and predicate in a sentence would be more then enough for him. From time to time I want to have a word with the teachers. Iˋve to explain them that the sessions are pretty difficult for him and we should set the level a bit lower.
The main part of the teachers agree that it would be better for this child to join a special need school. Iˋm not sure if he would be better placed there.
Do we not all benefit from this kind of pupil? Yes we sometimes disturb the lessions, because he has deficits in hearing perfectly. He wears deaf aids and when I speak it has to be in normal volume.
He is so good at sports and at making things.

Note:
If you want you could add your own opinion for this case here, or if thereˋre coming up some questions , let me know.
Post edited by Hermine on

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,581 mod
    This is a tough one Hermine. I don't like segregated schools, but in today's society sometimes it's the only way a student can get the extra help they need.

• Paco2017Paco2017 Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Hello, I am a new member. Profession: Teacher, translator and writer:
    Here a sample. If anybody reads it, please let me know my mistake and how to do it better. Thank you?
    Here you have it:

Once upon a time in the Tropics

I

Had someone asked him about his very first childhood memory, he would have surely answered, it was his journey to Costa Rica. And yes, actually he traveled there at the age of four. Of course, not alone, but accompanied by his mother, his grandmother and his sister who was, and still is, a year older than him. Indeed, it would be his answer. Yet, we do not know if it would be the truth, and he did not know it neither. Not because he wanted to lie, no, but because it was the only event of his childhood that seemed to be the first, and he assumed it because of the fact that it appeared in front of his eyes as if he was living it again while answering that question. Reflecting about this question and his answer, he often came to the conclusion he never would be able to know for sure if it was really his own memory or the result of having heard this story so many times. Maybe his grandmother was responsible for this confusion. The reason for that journey was this: They wanted to visit his father, who he hadn´t seen for two years. It means he was about two years old when his mother decided that she and her husband should go separate ways and – at this point he was very sure – it was of course impossible that he could remember this crucial moment of his life. Well, on that journey they visited his father. No doubt. He still had the old passport with the faded photo. And after that journey he would not see his father up until 25 years!. And it is why, his father and that journey would be an often theme of conversation for his family, and this was – for sure- the source of his confusion in relation to his first memory: His grandmother, who grew up him and his sister, had told them all the incidents of the journey with such a wealth of detail that by now he did not know whether he really remembered all what happened on that journey or he was only repeating all the things he has been told old the time since he was four years old...
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,063 mod
    @Hermine I know that the tendency nowadays is to try to keep children like your student integrated in mainstream schools wherever possible. It is tough though if he is hard of hearing. My sister teaches deaf children and she says that usually they have little idea of the noise they are making.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,063 mod
    Paco2017 said:

Hello, I am a new member. Profession: Teacher, translator and writer:

Here a sample. If anybody reads it, please let me know my mistake and how to do it better. Thank you?

Here you have it:

Once upon a time in the Tropics

I

Had someone asked him about his very first childhood memory, he would have surely answered [x] it was his journey to Costa Rica. And yes, actually he traveled there at the age of four. Of course, not alone, but accompanied by his mother, his grandmother and his sister who was a year older than him. Indeed, it would be his answer. Yet, we do not know if it would be the truth, and he did not know it neither. Not because he wanted to lie, no, but because it was the only event of his childhood that seemed to be the first, and he assumed it because of the fact that it appeared in front of his eyes as if he was living it again while answering that question. Reflecting about this question and his answer, he often came to the conclusion he never would [x] know for sure if it was really his own memory or the result of having heard this story so many times. Maybe his grandmother was responsible for this confusion. The reason for that journey was this: They wanted to visit his father, who he hadn't seen for two years. He was about two years old when his mother decided that she and her husband should go separate ways and – at this point he was very sure – it was of course impossible that he could remember this crucial moment of his life. Well, on that journey they visited his father. No doubt. He still had the old passport with the faded photo. And after that journey he would not see his father for 25 years!. And it is why, his father and that journey would often be the theme of conversation for his family, and this was for sure the source of his confusion in relation to his first memory. His grandmother, who brought up him and his sister, had told them all the incidents of the journey with such a wealth of detail that by now he did not know whether he really remembered all what had happened on that journey or he was only repeating all the things he had been told of the time when he was four years old...

@Paco2017.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,655 mod
    edited June 4
    @Marianne, this school year is almost over. The teachers say that he is ready for a long holiday. I wonder what the next terms will bring to us. The boy and I donˋt like to sit outside the classroom working on a boring sheet of paper. Iˋm constantley against it.

The teachers arenˋt prepared for kids with special needs. The form teacher is hardly interested in the boy.
    The special eduation teacher says that he will learn here in this school more than in the other one.
    The poor parents get written messages and phone calles home where the teachers claim abou the boyˋs poor conditions.

In the last week we learnt about rectangle and quadrat and how to calculate the perimeter and the area of them. We learnt on computer, we used paper and pencil, we walked around the gym. The next day when we started there where we ended up he had no plan how the new task could be solved.

Can it be that the teachers have given him too much help so he doesnˋt allow himself to think or isnˋt it really possible for him to solve it without a helping hand.

Our special education teacher told me this child needs a longer rest in between two sessions.
    The headmistress ordered that the whole school has got two German-lessions without a break. That means 1h and 40 minutes ongoing (But most of the teachers allow the kids to drink and going to the toilet).
    The reason is that some kids have to catch the train home and if they teach with break they would miss it regularly.