Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

India is much more than poverty and slums!!

GauravGaurav Posts: 56 ✭✭
I am an Indian so you might think that it is my nationalistic mindset that lets me speak good about India. But i would like to tell you that the fact I am of the nationalistic mindset also helps me see the things needed to improve my country. As a foreigner you must be having an image of India as a poor country but if you could measure the love of the people for one's country, I think India would be the richest country in the world.
We are the fastest growing economy in the world but we are still sentimental about our culture. Our Prime Minister is one of the most influential and powerful men in the world but he still bows and greets the representative of any country that he visits. This shows that we are not the people who like to go around showing an air of superiority instead we want everyone to think about us with love and respect.

Feel free to share your experiences and ideas about India..

Comments

• whoisdeadwhoisdead Posts: 46 ✭✭
    India definitely isn't poor at all. It is one of the oldest civilisation thus having a long history dating back to the Neotlithic age if I'm not mistaken. Which is why I'd love to visit India some day, to learn about the culture there and definitely taste the food. I really love Indian food (especially daal) because my neighbour is Indian and she shares food that she cooked with me.
  • GauravGaurav Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Nice to hear that @whoisdead . You are always welcome. We love playing the host.
  • soupmantrasoupmantra Posts: 298 ✭✭
    I am an Indian. And yes it has been increasing trend to say that India is a poor country and not about other things in India. There are so many things to look in India. Dialects, Natural Beauties, Diversity, Maintaining good relationships with people. Also India has been improving in many sectors all together. What India showed in space with ISRO has been phenomenal. I have a feeling that it will not take much time for India to be at par with developed countries.
    Waiting for that day @soupmantra
  • christellechristelle Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    India is a country which attracts me. Certainly because my mother's family comes from there.
    I would like to visit it but not alone. And unfortunately, nobody around me wants to travel there with me.
    Your 'self' is the best companion!!
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭
    christelle wrote: »
    India is a country which attracts me. Certainly because my mother's family comes from there.
    I would like to visit it but not alone. And unfortunately, nobody around me wants to travel there with me.

You have never shared this before. Maybe because you never get an opportunity. So you have some Indian gene as well.

Come India with your friend! You will enjoy this trip. We would love to welcome you @christelle
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree India is much more vibrant than you can ever imagine. Every helmet and states is different in culture, landscape and people's from other but share same love for the motherland.

Thank you for starting this thread @Gaurav
    Was my pleasure @mohit_singh