Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What is a skill you wish you had?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,727 mod
We're a talented bunch here, but have you ever wished that you had a skill that you don't have at the moment?

For me, I would like to be able to play the piano. I can play it a little bit, but I'd like to be able to read the music and play beautiful pieces. Some people make it look so easy.

What about you? If you could choose one skill to have, what would it be?

Comments

• mounamouna Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭
    I would like to learn languages,my native language is arabic,I can speak a French not very good,and now I'm learning English.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,727 mod
    mouna said:

I would like to learn languages,my native language is arabic,I can speak a French not very good,and now I'm learning English.

It's always good to be able to speak in different languages, and it is great when you are able to talk to people when you're abroad. It makes travelling so much easier!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,080 mod
    I wish I was more adept at diy.
    mheredge said:

I wish I was more adept at diy.

So do I. A friend of mine helped me with some decorating last weekend, and also did a few bits and pieces around the house that needed to be done. I was amazed at how quickly he could do them, as it would have been a huge job for me!
    I once decided to Tile around my bath in the first place I lived in when I was working. I used to try not to notice the wonky lines after, while soaking in my bath as I was obviously never destined to be a tiler.
    mheredge said:

I once decided to Tile around my bath in the first place I lived in when I was working. I used to try not to notice the wonky lines after, while soaking in my bath as I was obviously never destined to be a tiler.

It might not have been perfect, but I think it's great that you were able to have bath in a room you had decorated yourself. There is something special about that!
  • maykmayk Posts: 156 ✭✭
    to become a magician is one of my skill I want to have. but I can't do any simple tricks.
    mayk said:

to become a magician is one of my skill I want to have. but I can't do any simple tricks.

There are a lot of guides about how to do tricks that you can read online, so perhaps you should think about taking a look at one of those to help you get the hang of things?
  • SairaSaira Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    I wish to speak good English and help all the poor people and solve their problems as much as I can.
    Saira said:

I wish to speak good English and help all the poor people and solve their problems as much as I can.

I think it is really good that you would like to try and help people to solve their problems. You must be a very nice person indeed if you would like to do that.
    I wish I could be better at carpentry. I tried an evening class once but my spice rack project wasn't much good.
    mheredge said:

I wish I could be better at carpentry. I tried an evening class once but my spice rack project wasn't much good.

I think every carpentry class starts with making a spice rack! But I would suggest that you keep practicing. Nobody is perfect at anything right from the start, and it always takes a lot of effort to get it spot on.
  • AbrilAbril Posts: 2
    My native language is spanish and i would like to master english. I like to learn new things, watching youtube videos i have been learning to bake, to draw and paint in watercolor, but learning english, well, it's not so easy
    Well there is no doubt that you are in the right place to master English. It looks like you are already doing very well at it, judging by how good your English is on your post.
  • nontannontan Posts: 201 ✭✭
    Once or twice I watched on TV a person reading a book incredibly fast.
    I think the person finished reading a thick book within one minute or so, and after that the person could tell what was written in the book perfectly.
    When I watched it, I really wanted to be able to do it.
    I went to several schools for speed reading and ended up being able to read books faster than before but not like in one minute.
    I can't read a thick book in a minute but I read fast @lisa. I think the more you read, the faster you get. I have always read a lot. Sometimes I wish I didn't read so quickly because when I am reading for pleasure, it is not as if I need to save time. I usually want a good book to last!
    mheredge said:

I can't read a thick book in a minute but I read fast @lisa. I think the more you read, the faster you get. I have always read a lot. Sometimes I wish I didn't read so quickly because when I am reading for pleasure, it is not as if I need to save time. I usually want a good book to last!

I can read very quickly now. I know what you mean about wanting to make it last, though. I'm a bit like that, too.
  • lisalisa Posts: 398 ✭✭
    @mheredge I think I have gotten the meanings of one article, but I can not choose the correct answers for the questions. That is weired and depressing for me :'(
    > @GemmaRowlands said:
    > I can't read a thick book in a minute but I read fast @lisa. I think the more you read, the faster you get. I have always read a lot. Sometimes I wish I didn't read so quickly because when I am reading for pleasure, it is not as if I need to save time. I usually want a good book to last!
    >
    > I know what you mean about wanting to make it last, though. I'm a bit like that, too.

Me too. When I read a good novel I feel the same.
    But I tend to forget the content of a book in a short time (one year or two).
    All I remember is a vague impression and whether it was interesting or not.
    So I can enjoy the book I liked again after a few years, knowing it is certainly nice to me.
    It depends on the book @nontan. If the story is memorable enough, I don't forget it. If it is ordinary, similar to other stories (like American detective stories), I find I forget it very quickly.
    @mheredge
    Maybe I have a poor memory as for stories.
    But thanks to it, I can enjoy one book twice or three times as if it is the first time I read it.
    nontan said:

> @GemmaRowlands said:

> I can't read a thick book in a minute but I read fast @lisa. I think the more you read, the faster you get. I have always read a lot. Sometimes I wish I didn't read so quickly because when I am reading for pleasure, it is not as if I need to save time. I usually want a good book to last!

>

> I know what you mean about wanting to make it last, though. I'm a bit like that, too.

Me too. When I read a good novel I feel the same.

But I tend to forget the content of a book in a short time (one year or two).

All I remember is a vague impression and whether it was interesting or not.

So I can enjoy the book I liked again after a few years, knowing it is certainly nice to me.

I think if a book is really good, you will remember what was in it for a long time. I always know that I have enjoyed the book when I can remember the story years later.
    > @GemmaRowlands said:
    > > @GemmaRowlands said:
    >
    > > I can't read a thick book in a minute but I read fast @lisa. I think the more you read, the faster you get. I have always read a lot. Sometimes I wish I didn't read so quickly because when I am reading for pleasure, it is not as if I need to save time. I usually want a good book to last!
    >
    > >
    >
    > > I know what you mean about wanting to make it last, though. I'm a bit like that, too.
    >
    >
    >
    > Me too. When I read a good novel I feel the same.
    >
    > But I tend to forget the content of a book in a short time (one year or two).
    >
    > All I remember is a vague impression and whether it was interesting or not.
    >
    > So I can enjoy the book I liked again after a few years, knowing it is certainly nice to me.
    >
    > I think if a book is really good, you will remember what was in it for a long time. I always know that I have enjoyed the book when I can remember the story years later.

You mean all the books I've read are worthless and conventional and rubbishy ones?
    nontan said:

> @GemmaRowlands said:

> > @GemmaRowlands said:

>

> > I can't read a thick book in a minute but I read fast @lisa. I think the more you read, the faster you get. I have always read a lot. Sometimes I wish I didn't read so quickly because when I am reading for pleasure, it is not as if I need to save time. I usually want a good book to last!

>

> >

>

> > I know what you mean about wanting to make it last, though. I'm a bit like that, too.

>

>

>

> Me too. When I read a good novel I feel the same.

>

> But I tend to forget the content of a book in a short time (one year or two).

>

> All I remember is a vague impression and whether it was interesting or not.

>

> So I can enjoy the book I liked again after a few years, knowing it is certainly nice to me.

>

> I think if a book is really good, you will remember what was in it for a long time. I always know that I have enjoyed the book when I can remember the story years later.

You mean all the books I've read are worthless and conventional and rubbishy ones?

I don't believe that any book is worthless. Some are there to provide entertainment, others are there to teach us a lesson. If you don't remember the stories then perhaps they were simply for entertainment value at the time - and there is nothing wrong with that!
    > I don't believe that any book is worthless. Some are there to provide entertainment, others are there to teach us a lesson. If you don't remember the stories then perhaps they were simply for entertainment value at the time - and there is nothing wrong with that!

Sorry, I got a bit irritated feeling you insulted or underestimated the books I love.
    If you didn't mean that, that is ok, please forget it.

I know you always reply to my (our) comments every time I post on your thread.
    That is very encouraging.
    Thank you very much.
    I find the books I have read where I don't remember the story are entertaining and so definitely can't be called worthless @nontan. Some books however, stick in the memory and in different ways. For example, War and Peace not only took a bit a working out (there are so many characters), but it also brings back the memories of the long train journey I was on when I read it.
    mheredge said:

I find the books I have read where I don't remember the story are entertaining and so definitely can't be called worthless @nontan. Some books however, stick in the memory and in different ways. For example, War and Peace not only took a bit a working out (there are so many characters), but it also brings back the memories of the long train journey I was on when I read it.

Yes, I think that's exactly what I was trying to say. You can still have a lot of entertainment from a book, even when the story might not always be the most memorable one.
    Most of the books I have downloaded on my Kindle fall into this category @GemmaRowlands. I have some books that I prefer to have as hardcopy and would rather keep than give away. But as long as a book isn't thrown in the bin, I don't tend to worry about giving books away.