Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What do you do on a sunny day?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,727 mod
When the weather is nice where you live, what do you do?

I take my laptop outside and work in the garden, as I find that very rewarding indeed!

What about you? What are the things that you look forward to doing when the sun comes out?

Comments

• DaneshDanesh Posts: 22 ✭✭
    I'll try not to leave my room and sleep or watch movies, lol
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,727 mod
    Danesh said:

I'll try not to leave my room and sleep or watch movies, lol

Don't you like the sun? Or is it too hot to go out when it's sunny where you live?
  • mounamouna Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭
    In summer when the sun is shining here ,it can be sweltering day.I have to stay at home where there is an air-conditionner .
    mouna said:

In summer when the sun is shining here ,it can be sweltering day.I have to stay at home where there is an air-conditionner .

It never really gets that hot in England, so we are able to go out and enjoy the sun. There are hardly any homes in the UK that have their own air conditioning!
  • arzulitaarzulita Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    I go out to sit on the grass, I read books or I study for the school while I enjoy the sun. ^^
  • whoisdeadwhoisdead Posts: 46 ✭✭
    I'd take a nice long walk around my neighbourhood and try to capture some pictures using my phone.
    whoisdead said:

I'd take a nice long walk around my neighbourhood and try to capture some pictures using my phone.

I like to do that too. It's amazing that there are so many nice things to take photos of near where I live, because I take it for granted a lot of the time.
  • will_tran_2307will_tran_2307 Posts: 11 ✭✭
    i like to lie on the beach , the sun light warm up me and the seabreeze cool my face and toes. They help me to release stress and make me full of positive energy.

i like to lie on the beach , the sun light warm up me and the seabreeze cool my face and toes. They help me to release stress and make me full of positive energy.

I think the beach is a great place to be, and it allows you to relax more than you are able to anywhere else, which is great. I love going to the beach, but don't usually have enough time.
  • PenguinPenguin Posts: 7
    In summer, when the sun is shining, I find a shadow in the park for succesful work without stress. I don't like very bright days, but my best photos of places were make these days.
    Penguin said:

In summer, when the sun is shining, I find a shadow in the park for succesful work without stress. I don't like very bright days, but my best photos of places were make these days.

Oh, I love working outside in the summer. I look forward to the warm days so much. I am working outside today, and am really enjoying myself!
  • farinamafarinama Posts: 17 ✭✭
    In summer I usually go to the beach. I winter I stay at home looking for my work
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it mean that you don't work during summer time @farinama?
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
    Zom said:

Does it mean that you don't work during summer time @farinama?

That sounds like the kind of job I would like! Working in the winter months when I don't want to go outside, and then being able to enjoy the summer without having to do anything other than have fun.
  • RaraAvisRaraAvis Posts: 98 ✭✭
    I mostly stay at home and listen to music or watch some movies. But sometimes I hang out with my relatives cause it's cool to go somewhere and spend a day with nice people.
    RaraAvis said:

I mostly stay at home and listen to music or watch some movies. But sometimes I hang out with my relatives cause it's cool to go somewhere and spend a day with nice people.

Yes, it's very important to spend time with loved ones whenever you're able to, as they are special people in your life, but lots of us just don't manage to find the time.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,063 mod
    I like going out so I feel I have missed out if I'm staying in when it is a sunny day. That said, if it is too hot outside, I'm glad to sit under my ceiling fan.
    mheredge said:

I like going out so I feel I have missed out if I'm staying in when it is a sunny day. That said, if it is too hot outside, I'm glad to sit under my ceiling fan.

Yes, I feel the same. I stayed inside all day on Saturday because I had a lot of house work to do, and I feel as though I really missed out on the sunshine!
    As it sunny but muggy out, I'm content to stay in and benefit from a bit of a breeze from my fifth floor room.
    I don't think we will be getting any more warm, sunny days until next year now, which is a shame. Summer seems to have come to an end rather abruptly!
    I'm sure it will do the same here - eventually @GemmaRowlands. The fan is going full on and if I switched it off, I'd be sweating immediately. It's 26 degrees but 80% humidity. But yes, I have just checked the temperature where you are and 14 degrees does seem rather cold. (It is 19 in Nice).
    mheredge said:

I'm sure it will do the same here - eventually @GemmaRowlands. The fan is going full on and if I switched it off, I'd be sweating immediately. It's 26 degrees but 80% humidity. But yes, I have just checked the temperature where you are and 14 degrees does seem rather cold. (It is 19 in Nice).

It's not as cold here as it would be in the winter, but it has been a lot warmer in previous weeks recently, so I think it just feels really cold in comparison to that.
    I'm not sure if the sun came out today as I was indoors all day, first changing my room and then working.
    mheredge said:

I'm not sure if the sun came out today as I was indoors all day, first changing my room and then working.

I sometimes spend all day inside if I have a lot of work to do.. but I have a conservatory so I can at least see if it's sunny, and it's almost as though I'm sitting in it!
    I'm the same when I'm at home. Here I have to get out as the internet is so useless in my room @GemmaRowlands.
    mheredge said:

I'm the same when I'm at home. Here I have to get out as the internet is so useless in my room @GemmaRowlands.

Whenever I'm staying anywhere now, I will always make sure that the internet works well, as I know that I have to be in touch with clients all the time.. at all hours of the day and night.. so a room with solid internet is absolutely non-negotiable!
    Me too, but don't come to Nepal if you want it to be automatically there @GemmaRowlands. And in fact in many parts of the world you can't take good, fast internet for granted. Look at @Lynne in France, she was having problems. Almost everywhere in Asia (maybe not Japan) isn't that great.
    mheredge said:

Me too, but don't come to Nepal if you want it to be automatically there @GemmaRowlands. And in fact in many parts of the world you can't take good, fast internet for granted. Look at @Lynne in France, she was having problems. Almost everywhere in Asia (maybe not Japan) isn't that great.

Yes, the UK is great for internet, and there are relatively few habitable areas that struggle. But there are of course downsides to being constantly connected, so maybe a more intermittent connection would be better for me.. apart from for work, obviously!
    I think being able to ration out the time when you have to be online and then being able to cut yourself off for a few hours is a good way to go @GemmaRowlands. After all, unless you are in the emergency services, it is rare that whatever the person wants can't wait a short time.
    mheredge said:

I think being able to ration out the time when you have to be online and then being able to cut yourself off for a few hours is a good way to go @GemmaRowlands. After all, unless you are in the emergency services, it is rare that whatever the person wants can't wait a short time.

Yes that's true. I think I will start trying to do that at the weekend, and have internet free afternoons. I will be able to relax and get other things done then!