Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Working from home

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,478 mod
You would have to have been living off the grid not to have noticed this video trending during the week.

Everyone seems to have an opinion, but Ellen Degeneres cracks it wide open:-

Here's the reason why the dad didn't help with his kids:-

Tagged:

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,478 mod

Here are some more spoofs.

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,055 mod
    It just shows how embarrassing being televised from home can get! But I think even in the TV studios there are sometimes embarrassing moments.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tomphillips/the-19-greatest-bbc-newsreader-fails?utm_term=.clM3Eqn9M#.fs8wz04qD
  • prateekprateek Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    Kids nailed it and even there mom nailed it so hard. LOL :D The reason for dad not helps his kids is so funny . :D
  • DeucalionDeucalion Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    Funny stuff. :)
    One thing I find hardest working from home is when something goes wrong with my laptop and I have to try to fix it. At least in most offices there is someone around to give 'IT support.' Like right now, yet again the sound on my laptop has gone and I have to work out what to do to get it working again (I believe it's a Windows 10 bug).
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,327 mod
    This is so funny. I work from home, and I completely understand the random distractions you can get. Also, people seem to think it's okay to just "drop in" on you no matter what you're doing, and sit and chat for hours. No, I have work to do!
  • poisepoise Posts: 52 ✭✭
    Exactly, It is quite exasperating when someone distracts you when you're trying to make work come to an end.
  • prateekprateek Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    That's why I keep a door of my room close as I never wish anybody to mess up with my stuff in the room. But the thing with pants is usually true for a guy if he is working from home. LOL :D
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 721 ✭✭✭
    Kids know from instinct what makes grown-ups distracted, and relish doing it. Look the way the professor's daughter walked in the room in the original video. She was obviously enjoying causing trouble!
  • Shishio13Shishio13 Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Time management is the key when you are working in home and a little of discipline too
    Shishio13 said:

Time management is the key when you are working in home and a little of discipline too

This is very true. I usually find that I can fit everything in that I want to do, so long as I plan it carefully and then stick to the plan.
    I need to be a bit more organised @Shishio13. I tend to muddle my way through things which doesn't always work.
    mheredge said:

I need to be a bit more organised @Shishio13. I tend to muddle my way through things which doesn't always work.

I used to do that when I first started working from home. But I found I FELT busy, but in actual fact got very little done. So now I try to have set times for everything, which works well for me.
    At least now I have a planner that I keep handy @GemmaRowlands, but this is just for days of the weeks. I need to keep one for hours of the day.
    mheredge said:

At least now I have a planner that I keep handy @GemmaRowlands, but this is just for days of the weeks. I need to keep one for hours of the day.

Knowing what you want to do in each day is good, too. I am all over the place today as I decided to have a lie in, so my whole schedule has been pushed back a couple of hours. But I won't feel bad about it.. I'll just put it down to perks of the job!
  • Shishio13Shishio13 Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Like a software developer I recommend a method called Scrum, it is an agile method (based on Japanese concepts) that help you to manage task in projects so it's too applicable to routine home task
    I'm a bit at sixes and sevens today @GemmaRowlands as I forgot to change my clocks and now discover that I've lost an hour.
    It is also useful to make store checklists along with recipe checklists. :wink:
    I often write shopping lists @Deucalion. I think the act of writing it down helps a lot as I don't usually refer to it after, unless it's a very long list.
    edited April 2
    I knew it, @mheredge, your aptitudes are admirable, as well as your openess to invite friends to appreciate your talents to implement recipe checklists.
    Sometimes I have to improvise if I don't have all the ingredients for the recipe I want to make @Deucalion. I don't think that it's too important to follow recipes too slavishly. Or maybe I could say it's my version of a dish.
    It is even more intriguing, @mheredge, to taste your versions of dishes ... and to discover what unusual and delicious tastes you manage to produce by applying your intuition and your sense of harmony.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,478 mod
    @Shishio13 - I am using Scrum methodology for redeveloping the lessons. It's a good way for people with limited resources to manage things without going insane. :cold_sweat:
    Deucalion said:

It is even more intriguing, @mheredge, to taste your versions of dishes ... and to discover what unusual and delicious tastes you manage to produce by applying your intuition and your sense of harmony.

I cooked some very nice pasta with mushroom, tomato and pesto sauce, but somehow it still was lacking something. I have bought some onions and garlic. I will try again tonight, but I think these two ingredients should make all the difference.

Do you cook @Deucalion?
    mheredge said:

Deucalion said:

I cooked some very nice pasta with mushroom, tomato and pesto sauce, but somehow it still was lacking something. I have bought some onions and garlic. I will try again tonight, but I think these two ingredients should make all the difference.

Do you cook @Deucalion?
    I think things with such strong flavours like onions and garlic can indeed make a huge difference to a dish - and that is why they are so popular for people to use while cooking. I know I always try to keep an onion in stock in case I want to add a bit of flavour to something.
    And garlic goes so nicely with mushrooms too @GemmaRowlands. Thinking about it is making me hungry as I only had a sandwich for my lunch (a bit like the one below. I now want to make foccacio as this is really good.

edited April 4
    > @mheredge said:
    > Do you cook @Deucalion?

I cook very seldom, @mheredge, because of the lack of time. But when I cook, I like to do everything by the book, respecting all details and subtilities. May be it's because I don't have enough experience in cooking and I am not enough self confident to dare some creative variations. I remember once I cooked french beef with rosted apples and cherry sauce. Because I had bought not the right piece of beef, the all cooking took me around 3 hours. :sweat_smile: Instead everything was goubbled up in 15 minutes. :lol:
    This is the biggest problem when cooking anything that takes time to prepare @Deucalion. It invariably takes a fraction of the time to eat. After hours of slaving over a hot stove, there's nothing more disappointing to have it all gobbled up in no time at all.
    mheredge said:

This is the biggest problem when cooking anything that takes time to prepare @Deucalion. It invariably takes a fraction of the time to eat. After hours of slaving over a hot stove, there's nothing more disappointing to have it all gobbled up in no time at all.

That annoys me a lot. I have spent hours in the kitchen before, and the plates are cleared far too quickly. Sometimes I wonder whether it is all actually worth the effort at all.
    edited April 8
    > @mheredge said:
    > This is the biggest problem when cooking anything that takes time to prepare @Deucalion. It invariably takes a fraction of the time to eat. After hours of slaving over a hot stove, there's nothing more disappointing to have it all gobbled up in no time at all.

That's right, @mheredge . But, it just occured to me that the process of cooking could be turned into a happy family bonding, in which everybody brings his or her valuable contribution. It would nourrish the sense of the family unity along with the sense of gratitude toward fate for the gift of having such moments. :relieved: