Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

World Storytelling Day

PaulettePaulette Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 19 in Myths and Legends
On the 20th of March it's World Storytelling Day. World Storytelling Day is a global celebration of the art of oral storytelling. It is celebrated every year on the spring equinox in the northern hemisphere, the first day of autumn equinox in the southern. On this day as many people as possible tell and listen to stories in as many languages and at as many places as possible, during that same day and night.
Read more...

Do you remember a fairy tale or a story that has made a special impression on you?

Do you remember a fairytale or a story that impressed you and that you wanted to hear again and again in your childhood. Did this story affect your life in any way?
  • Why did you like it?
  • Did you want to be like the protagonist?
  • Were you afraid when you read it?
  • What did it make you dream of at that time?
  • Did you pass it over to your own children?
Post edited by Frank on

Comments

• PaulettePaulette Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lynne @Frank @prateek @takafromtokyo @jackelliot @mohit_singh

Because March 20 is declared the World Storytelling Day have I put this discussion.

On March 20 - World Storytelling Day are widely narrated by storytellers in any language and in every conceivable place stories.

If the Western Hemisphere still asleep, are every year on March 20 in Asia and Australia to hear the first stories. As storytellers in the eastern hemisphere again afterglow of their stories are in the US and Canada only told the first stories.

The date of March 20 was not chosen by chance. It is the beginning of spring and autumn respectively in the northern and southern parts of the world.

The whole world is on the same day busy with telling stories or listening to stories . Therefore, the connectedness of human beings in all parts of the world is discuss at special way. Moreover World Storytelling Day draws worldwide attention to the art and craft of the storyteller.
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,951 mod
    edited March 19
    This is from last year:

Click here for the playlist
  • jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 737 OTT

I would love to see the moroccan stroy teller

http://jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/03/the-world-storytelling-day-by-paulette.html

• jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 737 OTT
    edited March 19
    @prateek @takafromtokyo @mohit_singh @jackelliot

At a time in my childhood my father told the story of Pinocchio (the boy whose nose was longer as he was telling a lie). My dad was a great storyteller. I think this story was told after I had lied once (maybe it was a lie for sake ... I do not remember).

This story haunted me for a long time, perhaps because I knew what it meant to me.

I would certainly not be as the protagonist, because I did not want a long nose.

At that time I was quite a while scared if I had something to tell my parents and I don't dared think what could be happening if I lied to them...

And at night I dreamed of children with long noses.

But that did not deter me from to tell this story to my children and now my grandchildren .
    This story brought me up as an honest woman made that loves the truth.
  • prateekprateek Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    @Paulette I hope your nose is still normal? ;) Suppose if somehow this story becomes true then How will people look like? :#
    edited March 21
    @prateek @jackelliot @takafromtokyo @Michouxe

A story which I also love is:

Beauty and the Beast.

A tale of love and fantasy. Belle who is asked by her father to live in the castle where a beast is the master. He reigns as a bully. In the fairy tale Beauty and the Beast fantasy plays a huge role. Not only there is the fascination of the Prince as a Beast. The whole staff is enchanted in the castle of the Beast. They are changed into utensils. So someone is a clock and there is someone a candlestick and a coffeepot ec...
    But the inner strong love of Belle breaks the spell as she full of love approaches the Beast as he is dying.

For me this was a story that I explicitly identified with me. I wished all people were good.

I thought it was fantastic that could speak clocks and coffeepots and I also told to the cups and plates at home and believe me or not they answer me (I had a lot of imagination).

In my dreams I were Beauty and I think I have inherited from Belle's love and goodness.
  • prateekprateek Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    I don't like much of stories but I have read "Alibaba and forty thieves" that I still remember from childhood days.

Kasim is an Alibaba’s brother. He is a malicious person. One day he notices Alibaba discovers a cave full of treasure and he goes there. But he is trapped in the cave and killed by the thieves. Then the leader of the thieves trys to find who discover the cave of their treasure. Alibaba is often in danger of being found out. But Kasim’s royal servant, Morgiana, helps him. She is a quick-witted woman.

Here is a charm used in the story “Open Sesami”. The leader of the thieves cries out this words. Then a big rock open.

I found this story kind of interesting at that time. :)