Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What happens to the waste in your area? How to collect the waste? Should you pay as a resident?

PaulettePaulette Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 15 in Home Life

In my region, we have garbage bags in different colors to sort out the waste we produce. We have blue for the PMD = Plastic, Metal and Boxes. A white waste bag for residual waste. Garden waste is discharged into green containers and paper and cardboard are collected separately.

The waste is collected weekly and the PMD semimonthly, monthly paper and cardboard and green waste are collected every two weeks.

You have to pay for each waste bag that is collected and annually you are also asked for a general contribution.

At the moment there is an idea idea to offer chickens as part of a campaign to reduce household waste. The chickens have to process organic waste naturally. It remains to be seen if this will be a success.

Read more about it here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8539877.stm
Tagged:

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,145 mod
    I wonder if having to pay in Britain would lead to people dumping rubbish where they shouldn't in the middle of the night @Paulette. I know a lot of household waste is left in places where it shouldn't be because unless you have a car to take unwanted old kitchen things or large amounts of garden waste to the dump, then you have to pay for the local council to come and remove it.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge

Indeed in Belgium there is a lot of illegal dumping of waste because people doesn't pay with pleasure . But if you are caught, you must to pay also a lot of money. However sometimes you can find waste in your street dumped by people in the middle of the night.
    @mheredge
    Indeed in Belgium there is a lot of illegal dumping of waste because people doesn't pay with pleasure . But if you are caught, you must to pay also a lot of money. However sometimes you can find waste in your street dumped by people in the middle of the night.
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 698 ✭✭✭
    A condominium where my brother lives has a lawn, and the manager started to have three goats there a few years ago, who eat the grass. It seems to be intended to reduce the mowing costs, rather than to reduce garden waste, since garden waste collection is free in Japan as far as I know. But anyway, I think reducing waste is always a good idea.
    I think reducing waste is totally necessary, and unless a big effort is made to understand this and do something, our planet will be very soon not much more than a giant dustbin @Yellowtail.

I think it is criminal how developed countries use poorer countries to dump waste, paying them money to become their dumping sites.
  • jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 702 OTT

The Problem in Britain is the excess of waste

http://jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/03/excessive-food-waste.html

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,917 mod
    We have different coloured bags for all of our waste, too, and we pay council tax every month which covers waste collection. I think it's important, and more than worth the money.
    Where I used to live in central London, the rubbish was collected every day as the road is close to a commercial area and I suppose for some reason, even though none of the buildings in my street were businesses, it still counted. This meant I could put my rubbish out any day without thinking when it would be collected. However I think in most places it is collected weekly. Am I right @GemmaRowlands?
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 698 ✭✭✭
    In the area where I live, the waste sorting rule is a little complicated. Waste is sorted into recyclable and unrecyclable, and then unrecyclable is sorted into combustible and uncombustible, recyclable is sorted into paper, plastic, cans and so on. Whether combustible or not is sometimes unclear. What about leather? (Answer: combustible.) And some paper can not be recycled, for example, package of yogurt, because of its waterproof coating.
  • BassaBassa Posts: 66 ✭✭
    Hi guys:)! The problem in Italy is that people leave the rubbish on the board of the streets !
    People leave rubbish on the sides of the street here too. There is a place near where I live where it is okay to leave paper, glass and plastic rubbish and if it can't fit into the bins, I think it isn't frowned upon too much to leave it on the pavement close to the bins. They seem to be emptied regularly, so it isn't a problem.
    @mheredge
    In Belgium there are at several places glass containers and bins for paper collection also containers for clothing. But often, the waste is placed just next to the baking
    I notice in Germany that even in the home @Paulette, people have dustbins to separate the waste into biodegradable, plastics, paper and glass. It's not quite so organised here, but I try my best to put glass and paper in the streetside bins. I think the UK has improved a lot since I left twelve years ago. Then there was only a request to separate newspapers and magazines and glass.
    In Austria they use ther same systeem as in Germany. They are different bags in their home @mheredge, people have dustbins to separate the waste into biodegradable, plastics, paper and glass.
  • prateekprateek Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    In my place, there usually big dustbins are kept on every street and people have to dump the waste into it and everyday dustbin is picked up by municipal workers but still Some people enjoy to dump on street and I think these people have got habit of living in rubbish.
    @Yellowtail at least in your area there is some rule which is complicated but in mine, there are nothing like rules for people. Everybody does whatever they feel.
  • prateekprateek Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    In my place, there usually big dustbins are kept on every street and people have to dump the waste into it and everyday dustbin is picked up by municipal workers but still Some people enjoy to dump on street and I think these people have got habit of living in rubbish.
    @Yellowtail at least in your area there is some rule which is complicated but in mine, there are nothing like rules for people. Everybody does whatever they feel.
    @prateek @yellowtail

Because litter and fly tipping an important ecological and social problems have become, there is worked for an illegal dumping policy in Belgium. So will be placed street bins in public places to improve corporate collection. There are also grants provided to supply in portable cameras which are then deployed at different locations and different times where there are many illegal dumping is observed.
    Until 2012 in Nepal (Year of Tourism) the rubbish collection was very haphazard. In order to try and present a cleaner city for tourists however Kathmandu really got their act together with lorries to come to take rubbish from people's homes and take it to be disposed of at a landfill outside the city. Individuals don't have to segregate waste as the dustmen do this.
  • GauravGaurav Posts: 56 ✭✭
    In my area also there are huge dustbins usually placed at a corner of a street. But these dustbins are for the people who do not want to pay for the Municipal workers. As the case with the people willing to pay a small amount, the workers come to your house and collect the garbage personally.
    I feel the work of the department has improved alot when compared to the earlier days when nobody cared about cleanliness. But now due to the efforts of the Government and the increasing awareness among the people regarding cleanliness of surroundings. People have slowly begun to realise that no matter how clean we are in our houses, if the roads and surroundings are unclean not much benefit is going to come.
    mheredge said:

Where I used to live in central London, the rubbish was collected every day as the road is close to a commercial area and I suppose for some reason, even though none of the buildings in my street were businesses, it still counted. This meant I could put my rubbish out any day without thinking when it would be collected. However I think in most places it is collected weekly. Am I right @GemmaRowlands?

Our recycling (cardboard, glass, plastic and newspapers) gets collected every week, and our waste bin (covers anything that can't be recycled) and our green bin (garden waste) are alternated, so are each taken once a fortnight. It used to be that they were both taken every week, and it is difficult to deal with the amount of waste we have in our home now.
    I'm not sure but I think the rubbish is collected every week here but I'm not at all sure @GemmaRowlands. I live in a building that contains ten apartments and the two bins at the back never seem to be full. For glass and paper there are two huge bins at the bottom of the street, a couple of minutes away. I don't know why, but I usually put my bottles and paper in these. I don't think anything would happen if used the bins around the back though.
    mheredge said:

I'm not sure but I think the rubbish is collected every week here but I'm not at all sure @GemmaRowlands. I live in a building that contains ten apartments and the two bins at the back never seem to be full. For glass and paper there are two huge bins at the bottom of the street, a couple of minutes away. I don't know why, but I usually put my bottles and paper in these. I don't think anything would happen if used the bins around the back though.

As long as you get rid of your waste sensibly I suppose it doesn't matter where you put it. There definitely need to be more collections where I live though. Some families have 6 people and fill much more than one bin a fortnight!
  • chyijungchyijung Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭✭
    In Taiwan a garbage truck patrol the city everyday with the music " Maiden's Prayer" and "For Alice". There are not any dustbins on the street, so you can only dump your wastes in the specific time when the truck reach your place. It is not very convenient because sometime people miss the truck.
    That must be a real nuisance if they don't come early enough, before people leave for work @chyijung. In Kathmandu there are a lot of narrow alleys and so the rubbish collectors come and call on people's houses to collect the rubbish put in plastic bags.
    @mheredge I wonder if there are other ways to handle this problem. But it seems impossible. Taiwan is too crowded. Beside, people don't like to have municipal dustbins nearby their houses. No matter where the dustbins are placed, there always have arguments between the people.
    I had a colleague who couldn't dump the rubbish due to the shift work. He took the rubbish and dump in the company's dustbin everyday. The boss would not be happy about that.
    chyijung said:

In Taiwan a garbage truck patrol the city everyday with the music " Maiden's Prayer" and "For Alice". There are not any dustbins on the street, so you can only dump your wastes in the specific time when the truck reach your place. It is not very convenient because sometime people miss the truck.

It must be annoying if you miss it. Though if it comes regularly I suppose you have a good chance of getting rid of your rubbish at some point.
    @GemmaRowlands It is annoying. I like the way we dump rubbish in Malaysia more. A truck will come to collect the rubbish at our home every few days. But there are other problems here. Rubbish are usually unsorted, and sometime the surrounding of the municipal dustbin could be quite messy and smelly.
    It sounds very similar to Kathmandu @chyijung. Even though some country donated some fancy rubbish collection trucks, they still seem to sort the rubbish in certain spots by the road and this is all done manually.
    edited April 1
    @prateek @takafromtokyo @mohit_singh

Yesterday we received a letter stating that we have a new kind of bag next year to sort our waste.

Today we have the bag for garbage and the bag for PMD (plastic, metal and cartons). In this bag for PMD may only plastic bottles, all other plastics would be placed in the garbage. The new rule is a third bag for all these other plastic materials, called mixed plastic (example: butter dishes, yogurt cups and other ...) also to sort separately.

The problem at the moment is only the government has not yet agreed on the color of the bag !!!! >:)
    Yup @mheredge although I have never been to Kathmandu. I think in term of development, Malaysia is still far behind the developed countries. Especially at the suburban area, where very little government resource reach.