Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What would you do right now if money and time were no object?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,327 mod
I was taking to a friend yesterday, and trying to think about what we would do if we were rich and didn't have to work.

I decided that I would like to go to New York, as it is a place that I really enjoy being.

What about you? If you had lots of money and lots of spare time, what is the thing that you would like to do the most?

Comments

  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    I would have fun with my family and my friends! I would go visit you guys for a drink! Oh, I have unlimited amount of money, so maybe I could just invite all you guys for a BBQ! The flight tickets are nothing. I can charter a whole plane if you want!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,055 mod
    Money no object? Maybe I'd go on a cruise to Antarctica or an overland trip around the world.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,327 mod

    I would have fun with my family and my friends! I would go visit you guys for a drink! Oh, I have unlimited amount of money, so maybe I could just invite all you guys for a BBQ! The flight tickets are nothing. I can charter a whole plane if you want!

    I would love to have fun with friends and family too, as I love to spoil the people I love - it makes me feel so good that I can help other people.
  • soupmantrasoupmantra Posts: 298 ✭✭
    If money and time were no object than I would definitely try learning new things. I am waiting to see many videos which I can see after I get time. So I will definitely want to watch those videos. Also would try to improve and learn cooking skills, swimming, driving, programming, learn guitar. So yes, I have many things in my mind which I can't do because of time and money constraint and if they were not a constraint than I will be more than willing to do all those things.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,327 mod

    If money and time were no object than I would definitely try learning new things. I am waiting to see many videos which I can see after I get time. So I will definitely want to watch those videos. Also would try to improve and learn cooking skills, swimming, driving, programming, learn guitar. So yes, I have many things in my mind which I can't do because of time and money constraint and if they were not a constraint than I will be more than willing to do all those things.

    I think that is a great idea. There are so many things that we can learn, and if we have the time then it is good to try and expand our knowledge whenever we can.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,055 mod
    Funnily enough, if money were no object, I don't think I would have chosen differently for my new bathroom though maybe the jacuzzi bath at 2,000€ would have been nice.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,327 mod
    mheredge said:

    Funnily enough, if money were no object, I don't think I would have chosen differently for my new bathroom though maybe the jacuzzi bath at 2,000€ would have been nice.

    I would love to have a jacuzzi bath. I would never get out of it! I'd have to build some kind of desk so that I could use my laptop in it.
  • RaraAvisRaraAvis Posts: 93 ✭✭
    I would fulfill my dream - to travel around the world, participate in some self-development projects and also I would do a lot of sports, hang out with friends and enjoy life.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,327 mod
    RaraAvis said:

    I would fulfill my dream - to travel around the world, participate in some self-development projects and also I would do a lot of sports, hang out with friends and enjoy life.

    It would be good to be able to just do everything we want to do without having to struggle to find time in between going to work. That is one of the things that I would enjoy the most, I think.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,055 mod
    Hahaha fat chance of getting much work done @GemmaRowlands. (I'd be too scared of electrocuting myself).
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,327 mod
    mheredge said:

    Hahaha fat chance of getting much work done @GemmaRowlands. (I'd be too scared of electrocuting myself).

    I have actually worked in the bath before, when I had a deadline to meet with a proofreading project. It was probably a silly idea! As you say, I could easily have dropped it in!
  • Serg_KimSerg_Kim Posts: 12 ✭✭
    I would go into traveling. I'd travel all around the world to see how people live there, to see the world. I would help my family and my friends with money. Finally, I would find some way to help the people in need, although, I don't know the exact way how to do that.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,327 mod
    Serg_Kim said:

    I would go into traveling. I'd travel all around the world to see how people live there, to see the world. I would help my family and my friends with money. Finally, I would find some way to help the people in need, although, I don't know the exact way how to do that.

    There are lots of people who are in need in different ways, so I'm sure that you would be able to find a way to help some of them.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,055 mod
    If money were no object, I might consider hiring a helicopter to take me to the Observatory today, where I want to visit. It is going to take me about an hour to reach it as it is over the other side of town - a train and bus ride away.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,327 mod
    mheredge said:

    If money were no object, I might consider hiring a helicopter to take me to the Observatory today, where I want to visit. It is going to take me about an hour to reach it as it is over the other side of town - a train and bus ride away.

    That sounds like a great thing to do. I would love a helicopter to be there for me whenever there was somewhere that I needed to go!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,055 mod
    Today if money and time were no object I still wouldn't change what I'm doing as I'm looking forward to another day out relaxing by the sea.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,327 mod
    mheredge said:

    Today if money and time were no object I still wouldn't change what I'm doing as I'm looking forward to another day out relaxing by the sea.

    It is a wonderful feeling to know that you're doing exactly what you want to do. It is cold and dull here today, so I really wish that I was on a nice beach somewhere!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,055 mod
    Money no object? Tomorrow I would have a helicopter take me to Pokhara, 250km away. I hate the road which is usually congested and it takes seven hours, winding through the mountains.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,327 mod
    mheredge said:

    Money no object? Tomorrow I would have a helicopter take me to Pokhara, 250km away. I hate the road which is usually congested and it takes seven hours, winding through the mountains.

    Yes, it would be a lot better to just be able to get to where we needed to be without having to worry about it!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,055 mod
    The hotel I have to audit on Friday is a bit of a 'money no object' kind of place, costing a couple of hundred dollars a night to stay there. I have been lucky enough to stay a few nights without paying and it is rather special.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,327 mod
    mheredge said:

    The hotel I have to audit on Friday is a bit of a 'money no object' kind of place, costing a couple of hundred dollars a night to stay there. I have been lucky enough to stay a few nights without paying and it is rather special.

    I would love to have enough money to just be able to go and spend a lot at a hotel like that. I often envy people who don't have to think about every penny they spend like I do.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,055 mod
    I was watching A Very British Hotel last night @GemmaRowlands and to be honest, I didn't envy the guests at this very exclusive Knightsbridge hotel in the least. I suppose it is because I am happy wherever I am (as long as it's clean).
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,327 mod
    mheredge said:

    I was watching A Very British Hotel last night @GemmaRowlands and to be honest, I didn't envy the guests at this very exclusive Knightsbridge hotel in the least. I suppose it is because I am happy wherever I am (as long as it's clean).

    Yes I suppose if you're not used to staying in places like that it can be a bit much, if all you want to be able to do is relax while you're in your room!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,055 mod
    I stayed in a fairly upmarket place last night which was nice. But there were a couple of Americans there who I can't say I felt drawn to, and so I kept well away. A British group of older women were leaving shortly after I arrived. They were very nice. It takes all sorts and while the Brits seemed to appreciate their stay, the Americans appeared rather blasé and a bit snotty.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,327 mod
    mheredge said:

    I stayed in a fairly upmarket place last night which was nice. But there were a couple of Americans there who I can't say I felt drawn to, and so I kept well away. A British group of older women were leaving shortly after I arrived. They were very nice. It takes all sorts and while the Brits seemed to appreciate their stay, the Americans appeared rather blasé and a bit snotty.

    It's not nice when you end up near a group of people who you don't click with. But at least you got the chance to talk to the British women who were nicer.
Sign In or Register to comment.