Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What is a Baby Boomer?

LynneLynne Your TeacherHomePosts: 9,585 mod
Have you heard this term?

What is a Baby Boomer? 30 votes

A baby that makes a lot of noise.
13%
Shishio13ghutthirtasaraaldennispedrassa 4 votes
A man or woman who is between 50 and 70 years of age.
83%
HerminefilauzioFrankBubblyGemmaRowlandsmounachyijungSairanomad81mohit_singhNippurtakafromtokyoYellowtailsoupmantraprateekCtrimmerDartasTrinkyDeniscorrectpsymonology 25 votes
Someone who shouts at babies.
3%
yui_2000 1 vote

Comments

• takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, only me?
    Let's vote, everyone!
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the baby boomers in Japan are considered to be in more narrow age range though. They are ones born within several years after the end of the war.

Anyway, don't shout at babies!
  • CtrimmerCtrimmer Posts: 10 ✭✭
    According to what I know, baby boomer was a term created in the US. This refers to babies born in the US after the WW2, during the Cold War.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,130 mod
    Not just the US @Ctrimmer. I guess I'm just about about a baby boomer depending on how you define the dates.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_boomers
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,737 mod
    It refers to the group of people who had babies just after the second world war and the period that followed. There was a huge population increase at this time - largely thought to be because people valued the idea of family more after the war, and babies generally brought hope instead of fear!
    It could also have something to do with making up for lost time too @GemmaRowlands! At least in the immediate period after the war this might have applied, when all the men came home from fighting. It's interesting that there are different cutoff dates in the 1960s when babies were no longer regarded as baby boomers.
    mheredge said:

It could also have something to do with making up for lost time too @GemmaRowlands! At least in the immediate period after the war this might have applied, when all the men came home from fighting. It's interesting that there are different cutoff dates in the 1960s when babies were no longer regarded as baby boomers.

Yes, that's very true. I suppose there was a huge dip in birth rates during the war, because a lot of the men were away, so that could account for the difference.
    Since baby boomers have their children in roughly the same age, the second boom should occur about 30 years later. I found it is called 'millennials' in the U.S.. I often hear it on the news. Again it is differnt in Japan. The second baby boomers here are the people in their mid forties now.
  • soupmantrasoupmantra Posts: 298 ✭✭
    I have seen this word mostly on news sites and also on some wikipedia articles. They are the people who were born after world war 2 in United States. There is sometime a conflict of opinions and values and thought process between current generation and baby boomers.
    Not just the US @soupmantra.
    @mheredge ok. I didn't know that. I have seen this word only in U.S. related articles. That's why I though the word must be for the United States only.
    @soupmantra
    The baby boom we are talking about here is the consequence of the second world war. You are from India, aren't you? I think India was not involved the war enough to make a baby boom, was it? India's population pyramid is literally a pyramid shape today. It's something Japan is jealous of, where the birth rate has been very low.
    @Yellowtail yup. I am from India. India was involved in the war. It was part of British empire at that time. I don't have much knowledge regarding if it was involved in the war much but I do think there was definitely a baby boom at that period as there was a high population growth rate during 1950-70 but I haven't seen this term used in India.
    Was the birthrate particularly high in the 1950s and 60s @soupmantra? I was under the impression that it's been consistently high! Is it slowing down now though? At least in the cities, my understanding is that families are much smaller with just one or two children.
    You are correct in that it was consistently high for many years. I think population growth rate is starting to slow now. It will also slow down further in coming years.
    I think as more families recognize the expenses involved in bringing up children, then the desire for lots of children will reduce.Certainly more people are aware of family planning. But like you say, it's a slow process @soupmantra.
    @soupmantra
    I see. Like @mheredge did, I also thought India's population has just consistantly increased throughout the last century. Then baby boom might be more prevailing over the world than I thought.
    In the 1950s in Britain there was a phrase 'never had it so good' that was coined by Harold Macmillan that followed the economic boom during this period.

I don't think this prosperity was confined to Britain. Also during the 1930s many families limited the number of children in the face of the economic hardship during this time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8145390/Harold-Macmillans-never-had-it-so-good-speech-followed-the-1950s-boom.html
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @takafromtokyo @mohit_singh @jackelliot @prateek @mheredge

I am a babyboomer and I like it. It was the time were a girl could stand up for themselves. Previously (like my mom) a girl had to learn cooking, cleaning, sewing, knitting ec... all of the babybommers called this : "dancing to the tune of a man". But end of the fifty years, a woman had more freedom ( sometime too much when I think at the hippy period) However thanks this period I was allowed to studying and I could the clothes wear that I wanted. I felt free but if you think I can't knitting or sewing or my house is dirty, you are wrong I am only a advanced woman who can do a lot of things, and I am proud of it.
  • DartasDartas Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited March 16
    Yes, the "babyboom" is not just a period in the US. In france, the "babyboom period" refers to the thirty years after the second World war. But not really after that (This?). In fact, the first signs of the "babyboom" began during the occupation and the "French Estate" (Vichy), because The Marechal Petain politic was to increase the natality with a "natalist policy" such as prohibit contraception and to give some allocations to mother who have many children (such as special cards for food or others...). For an example, the Vichy's slogan was "Work, Family, Country/homeland".
    At the Liberation, the real babyboom began (with the economic growth : The Great Thirties) until the first oil crisis in 1973.

So, I hope it would interest you about the French History ! :)
    No the "babyboom period" is not just in the US.
    In France, the babyboom began after the World War Two. In fact, not really after, but during the WW2. Indeed, the babyboom began during the occupation and the "French Estate" (Vichy). The Marechal Petain policy was a natalist one. For example, mothers who have many children, had some allocations, such as special card for food or other, and the contraception was illegal, and was punished by death... The Vichy's slogan was "Work, Family, Country".
    After the Liberation, in 1944, there was the "real babyboom" with the economic growth ("The Great Thirties") until the first oil crisis in 1973.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,585 mod
    @mheredge - He actually said, "... "most of our people have never had it so good". Which says everything you need to know about politicians. They need to understand that we are not theirs, they are ours. :wink:

@Dartas - Health, family and friends first - always.
    Dartas said:

No the "babyboom period" is not just in the US.

In France, the babyboom began after the World War Two. In fact, not really after, but during the WW2. Indeed, the babyboom began during the occupation and the "French Estate" (Vichy). The Marechal Petain policy was a natalist one. For example, mothers who have many children, had some allocations, such as special card for food or other, and the contraception was illegal, and was punished by death... The Vichy's slogan was "Work, Family, Country".

After the Liberation, in 1944, there was the "real babyboom" with the economic growth ("The Great Thirties") until the first oil crisis in 1973.

I think it's good that a higher birth rate came with economic growth. These days, lots of people in my country (particularly near where I live) have babies so that they can get a house and an income from the government. I think attitudes have changed a lot!
    > @Lynne said:

>
    > @Dartas - Health, family and friends first - always.

I don't understand what do you want to mean? Is it about the Vichy's slogan "Work, Family, Fatherland" (Fatherland for Country sorry)
    @GemmaRowlands
    I am not sure I have understood what do you want to say, but, yes, the birth rate has to increase in the same time with economic growth. Nowaday, it is not the same economic circumstances, with the crisis, but the state has to help families, but in reasonable proportion for sure...
    France still offers a lot of financial incentives to have more children. The more kids you have, the less tax you pay, or so it seems!
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭✭
    The question that comes to me instantly after reading about baby boomers in Wikipedia is why there is a baby boomers at all. This is only for US people or the people across world wide?

@Dartas
    I think every developed country more or less struggles to increase its lower birth rate. France is one of the most successful countries in it as far as I know. They seem to think children has to be raised by the whole of society, rather than by only the parents.
    Certainly the government in France is very supportive of families @Yellowtail especially when it comes to childcare. French people tend to complain about their education system, but from what I've seen, the Baccalaureat is better than most qualifications. Best of all though, I think despite the increase in worries about job security and so on, the French still seem to maintain a reasonable balance between work and leisure which has been lost to a large extent in countries like the UK and the US.

But a declining birthrate in developed countries is a problem common to all and in some, like in Germany, it is a negative rate.
    @Yellowtail
    In fact, recently, there was a report from the INSEE (a French statistic institution) which had a report about birth rate... And France has a low birth rate now (1.9), it is the worse rate since the World war two...
    But, you are right about France's support for families. Here, there is a great welfare state which helps (with allocations, ...) families with several children.