Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What comes to your mind when you hear someone say ".........." ?

takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
I came across the following sentence in an English novel.

"Snowflakes whispered from the murky sky."

What kind of scene do you picture from the sentence?
Let's share what you think!

Comments

• JaydenJayden Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Try to get the rest,don't worry too much.Try don't to be stressed in study
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭
    It's​ started raining or snowfall! @takafromtokyo

I think we should invite others @zom @Rema @Nippur @Paulette @Michouxe @nidhii @kindgnice @Lynne @april @shadyrashed @Bubbly
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @takafromtokyo @mohit_singh

Then I think at the Christmas story about the " The Little Match Girl" from Hans Christian Anderson a Danish writer, who begins with the sentence: "In the cold and darkness with snowflakes went there whispered along the street a poor little girl, bareheaded, and with naked feet. The story has a sad end, the girl was died but she was now together with her grandmother.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14
    @mohit_singh @Paulette @Zom @kindgnice

I can picture it as it's started to snow.
    But I can also picture it as it hasn't really started to snow yet.
    How is the snow falling when someone says "snowflakes whispered"?

The author didn't say "It started to snow". More than that, the author decided to use the word "snowflakes", not "snow".

I can imagine the cold wind is picking up. I imagine that the wind wasn't blowing just a moment ago but now there's a change in the air and it's becoming colder and windy.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,615 mod

@mohit_singh @Paulette @Zom @kindgnice

I can picture it as it's started to snow.

But I can also picture it as it hasn't really started to snow yet.

How is the snow falling when someone says "snowflakes whispered"?

The author didn't say "It started to snow". More than that, the author decided to use the word "snowflakes", not "snow".

I can imagine the cold wind is picking up. I imagine that the wind wasn't blowing just a moment ago but now there's a change in the air and it's becoming colder and windy.

Reading your statements makes me thirsty for coming too soon to Japan for the winter season. So really hot in here in Philippines. :sweat_smile: @takafromtokyo
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @takafromtokyo

Snowflakes whispered from the murky sky."

At this sentence I think at a saying from my mom when I was a child.
    When there in winter were murky clouds an it was cold, then said my mom:
    " Dear child look at the sky and listen because the angels have whispered to each other: come it is time to shake out for the people down there our duvet and really after a while we saw snowflakes whirl.
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 2,212 Teacher
    I think of that gentle, silent minute as the snow begins to fall. It is dusk and I'm standing under an old fashioned street light with my head upturned watching the grey and yellow flakes drift and float around me, completely lost in the moment.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    @amatsuscribbler
    I can picture the beautiful scene with your vivid description! Magnificent!!
This discussion has been closed.