Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Tell us the name of your favorite flower.

mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭
A very floral wish to you people.

Yesterday, I have participated in LESC Skype session and as usual @Bubbly di came up with a unique idea and ask every member to share the name of their favourite flower. I realised that I do not know the English name of the most common flower that I usually see in my college garden and several other gardens near my home.

I wanted you, people, to start a discussion on flowers and their names(regional name as well as an English name). Share with us the name of the flower, Images( if you can) and at last a little description. flower are the instant source of Happiness and of sadness as well. If you like you can share poems as well. As I can remember we had one chapter in our class X English book named Daffodils. I love that poem as it is about the description of Daffodils.

let me revise it once more.

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o’er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced, but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A Poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed—and gazed—but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

William Wordsworth

Have a floral Day!

@takafromtokyo @paulette @Zom @Bubbly @prateek @nidhii @abhishekb9099 @Anurada @Frank @khalied @kindgnice @Shiny03 @Rema @gam01hr @torellip @Monik @april @mheredge @Lynne @GemmaRowlands @amatsuscribbler @Yellowtail @Janjard @Michouxe @Dora @aladdin and @all_the_members_of_LEN_Network.

Comments

• nidhiinidhii Posts: 798 ✭✭✭✭
    @mohit_singh Yeah I have also read that poem on Daffodils.
    Rose comes first in my list of flowers.I like it's smell and. all the colours.From Childhood I attracted toward it.As Rose is most common flower and you can see it many house.As a child always want to pluck it whenever I saw it and would like to keep it in my book.And we use rose in worship also .And I like Gulkand made-up of Rose and rose water also.
    I remember most amazing fact about Rose flower. Place where Haldi Ghati fight had taken place and land is swarmed by the blood of thousand people is now the place of cultivation of various types of Rose flower And IT is famous for one of the best quality of Rose flowers and their Gulkand and Rose water is also very famous.Everyone get amaze how the soil once flooded with blood is now giving birth to beautiful flower which is a symbol of love.
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,478 mod
    edited March 5
    Thank you for sharing @mohit_singh and @nidhii . One of my favourite flowers is the freesia. If you have never seen or smelt one, they have a delicate, sweet scent. The flower are bell-shaped, on wiry stems, and come in various colours; white, yellow, pink.... They are said to symbolise innocence and friendship, another reason to like them. Sadly they don't grow well in the UK or Germany, so I don't get to enjoy them very often.

My favourite flowers in my garden are from my lavender plants. I love the smell and colour of lavender. When I planted them I put them near the path, so that I can brush my hand along whenever I walk past.
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    My favourite flower changes with the season. At the moment I enjoy spotting daffodils and primeroses when I go for a walk.
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    Cherry blossom is my favorite!
    Time for cherry blossom viewing is coming closer.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5
    @mohit_singh @prateek @mheredge @takafromtokyo @Michouxe @jackelliot @Janjard @pelouche

I love poppies, it's a beautiful wild red rose. In the region where I live they flourish in all fields.
    They are also the symbol of the First World War because they bloomed abundantly on the battlefields of Flanders, for example describes In Flanders Fields by John McCrae:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who these
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

And the poppy is in the iconography attribute of Hypnos, the Greek god of sleep
    Post edited by Paulette on
  • jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 737 OTT
    thank you for this poem
  • jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 737 OTT
    I put that poem on my blog because it says so much

http://jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/03/in-flanders-fields-by-john-mccrae.html
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭
    What about your favourite flower? Is there any flower that you are attracted towards?@jackelliot.
    I can see you like blogging.If you want you can write a blog on flowers. I guess people will read it.
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 2,213 mod
    I love Snowdrops. The first, fragile flower after, or even during, the coldest part of the year. This poem says it much better than I can:-

Snowdrop by John Armstrong

Fearless fragile, and wondrous winter flower,
    Lonely lantern bearer, in the darkest hour,
    Bold witness, to the bitter icy blast
    Trembling in defiance, you remain steadfast,
    Bravely breaching the frozen crystal crust,
    The truth to tell, propels your thrust.

A pendulous pearl, on cold winter’s ear
    Whispering in prophecies, of change and cheer,
    A pious sister, head bowed in prayer,
    Renewing your vows, each start of year,
    Slender, in habit green and wimple white,
    Your mission, to bring forth hope and light.

In sorry orchards, now denuded and forlorn,
    Amongst tilted tombstones, all weather worn,
    From clustered cells, you spread the word,
    To the winter weary, and those despaired,
    The intemperate tyrant is in retreat,
    Stretching days, will, long night defeat,
    Your faith a spur, to the flagging heart.

As trust appears, dark doubts depart,
    The sun scales higher, the leaden sky,
    The smothered earth, once more does sigh,
    Your three petalled bell, the changes ring,
    Beyond the bleak horizon, comes jutting spring.

http://www.flowermeaning.com/flower-pics/Snow-Drop-Color-Meaning.jpg
  • MonikMonik Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    @mohit_singh Let me share something about the most important flower in my contry... :)

Image of Christmas OrchidThe Orchid or Christmas Orchid is the National Flower of Colombia, in particular, the flower is variety Cattleya Trianae which was originally discovered in 1840's in Colombia. It was chosen as the National Flower, after a recommendation of the Colombian Academy of History in 1936, although it has not been officially adopted by law as such. Having a fetid smell, Colombian orchids often grow along mountain streams are said to be among the most beautiful on earth.

• prateekprateek Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    @mohit_singh @nidhii I have also read this poem on Daffodils and I was weak in English so whenever teacher made me read a poem in class. I read it like a paragraph without any rhythm like if it is a serious story and after that everybody starts giggling and laughing. I was like ..What ...? I have read all the words clearly, then the teacher told that It is a poem you have to read with a rhythm not just throw away the words and finish your job.

So, I was now trying to rhythm the poems posted in this thread. LOL :D
    I don't know much about flowers. Except some like Roses, Daffodils, I even don't know the names of much but it's interesting to know the names here. There is a small incidence of flower I am sharing below.
    I don't remember but my parents say that when I was in kindergarten. I have given red hibiscus flower to my teacher and when they asked why I am giving her Hibiscus flower and told me that I can give her roses or some other nice flowers but I denied to give other flowers and told that my teacher is big in size and this Hibiscus flower is also big so this is perfect for her and other flowers are small so they will not match with my dear teacher. Everybody and I still laugh of talking about this incident that how crazy kid I was. Comparing flowers with their size ...hehe LOL :D.
    Has anybody compared flowers with their size or only I was crazy? :wink:

@Paulette @mohit_singh @mheredge @Zom @Camvel
    prateek said:

I don't know much about flowers. Except some like Roses, Daffodils, I even don't know the names of much but it's interesting to know the names here. There is a small incidence of flower I am sharing below.

I don't remember but my parents say that when I was in kindergarten. I have given red hibiscus flower to my teacher and when they asked why I am giving her Hibiscus flower and told me that I can give her roses or some other nice flowers but I denied to give other flowers and told that my teacher is big in size and this Hibiscus flower is also big so this is perfect for her and other flowers are small so they will not match with my dear teacher. Everybody and I still laugh of talking about this incident that how crazy kid I was. Comparing flowers with their size ...hehe LOL :D.

Has anybody compared flowers with their size or only I was crazy? :wink:

@Paulette @mohit_singh @mheredge @Zom @Camvel

This is a proof of innocence and imagination of a child. :D :D ;)
    Is it Freesia? @Lynne.I googled it. It is beautiful. Is there any way to smell the scent online? :D

edited March 5
    Zom said:

My favourite flower changes with the season. At the moment I enjoy spotting daffodils and primroses when I go for a walk.

@Zom, we have this flower in our college campus. But it grows only once in a year. This is the time when I can spot some Primroses here in India.

Cherry blossom is my favorite!

Time for cherry blossom viewing is coming closer.

OMG! This flower looks so sweet @takafromtokyo. Thank you for Introducing this flower to us.

@Paulette
    I love flowers. I love you. Thank you for sharing the poem. I love it.

This flower is for you @Paulette

edited March 5
    This flower really looks like a Lonely lantern bearer, in the darkest hour
    It's Aesthetic! A beacon made of the flower. Thank you very much for poem @amatsuscribbler

edited March 5
    Have you given this red Hibiscus to your teacher @prateek?There are other colour and shades also available.

This flower is also used for worshiping Goddess Durga. Isn't it? @prateek

Yeah, you are right @mohit_singh. this was the flower and yeah this is the favourite flower of Goddess Durga. I have got a plant of red and pink Hibiscus in my little rooftop garden.
  • MichouxeMichouxe Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5
    I'm agree with Paulette, the beautiful red papavers! Who doesn't knows this flower?
    I have takes a copy of this poem, thanks Paulette!
    Now my story, if I was a little girl every week we go to the (Limburg) Neerpelt. There lived a sister of my stepfather and she had after the house a large meadow. I played many time there and than I plucked whole bouquets of buttercups and I was so lucky that I could give my mum this beautiful flowers!
    @mohit_singh - Here too I can see primroses only once a year; it's when spring is around the corner. :D
    @prateek - I think that you said to your teacher, "If you were a flower, you would be an hibiscus". Now I wonder, if you had to offer her a fruit, what fruit would it have been? ^^
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 721 ✭✭✭
    Sunflower! Because I like summer. Blue sky, cumulus clouds, and sunflowers cast shadows on the shining green grass, is one of my most favorite landscapes in summer.
    @takafromtokyo Cherry Blossom looks Awesome.Just love it
    I also like Freesia beautiful colours.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    @nidhii

Cherry blossoms look really nice, don't they? They are beautiful when in full bloom and they are also beautiful when they fall to the ground.

Do you have cherry blossoms in your place?