Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Legendary Nokia 3310 Is Back

aladdinaladdin Radio ProducerLEOnetworkPosts: 1,546 mod
Legendary Nokia 3310 Is Back

As promised, and as previously reported, Nokia has officially re-introduced the legendary Nokia 3310 at this year’s Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

http://www.redmondpie.com/nokia-3310-2017-model-specs-price-release-date/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+RedmondPie+(Redmond+Pie)

Comments

• LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,478 mod
    I'm not sure this is such a good idea. Will it rescue Nokia? Probably not.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,055 mod
    I have a nice simple little Nokia that I still sometimes use @aladdin. It doesn't have any fancy functionality other than voice and sms, (not even a camera) but the battery lasts for days on a single charge.
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭
    The new looks quite similar to the old one but this one looks more spectacular. I agree with @Lynne. Can this initiative help Nokia to revive the business? I think in this world of smartphone user this mobile may not create its place.

• aladdinaladdin Radio Producer LEOnetworkPosts: 1,546 mod
    Lynne said:

I'm not sure this is such a good idea. Will it rescue Nokia? Probably not.

I don't think it will :D
    mheredge said:

I have a nice simple little Nokia that I still sometimes use @aladdin. It doesn't have any fancy functionality other than voice and sms, (not even a camera) but the battery lasts for days on a single charge.

It's a great to have a mobile with battery lasts for days :D
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 724 Teacher
    I think the new one looks a bit like a cartoon version of the old one, really!
    NatashaT said:

I think the new one looks a bit like a cartoon version of the old one, really!

LOL But I like it :D it's colorful

The new looks quite similar to the old one but this one looks more spectacular. I agree with @Lynne. Can this initiative help Nokia to revive the business? I think in this world of smartphone user this mobile may not create its place.

It's not compete any smartphone because it's not :D
    edited February 28
    @aladdin said:

It's not compete any smartphone because it's not :D

I think we can get a smartphone with some decent feature in the same price range as this phone would have. I think around 3500 Indian Rupee and 49 Euro. I would prefer smartphone even if the battery would last long 1 day. :) :)
    Let's hope that one day there will be batteries that can keep smart phones going for longer. This is what Nokia should be spending its time trying to develop.
  • jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 737 OTT
    It was what I had and it is a nokia that I have now
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,327 mod
    I was excited when I heard that the phone was coming back. I think that millions would have bought one for nostalgia purposes. But this? This isn't the same phone; it just has the same name! I think "modernising" it will have destroyed what could have been a very profitable idea.
    I don't think anyone would have bought it without it being able to access the internet @GemmaRowlands. Even if it might have the 'old' look it still can do more than the simple voice-messaging version. Does the new Nokia have a camera?
    Ask @aladdin !

Does Nokia 3310 have camera?
    I can only guess that it have at least 2MP camera. At least with 3500₹ and 49 € the buyer should get this.
    I didn't buy a Nokia today @mohit_singh but I did get an Acer tablet that takes a sim and can be used as a phone. It's a bit slimmer than the Samsung but has oodles more memory. I'm still learning how to use it as it is a bit different to the Samsung.
    Both of them android @mheredge, right?
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    The new one and the old one look like almost the same to me. I can see they're different from each other in the size of their buttons. The buttons are different.
    Yes but the Acer has MS Office which might come in handy. I haven't tried it out yet @aladdin.
    edited March 21
    Ms office is also available for Android @mheredge . But I am not sure that it is as smooth in operation as in windows OS. @mheredge
  • chyijungchyijung Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Lynne. This new phone cannot save Nokia. I wonder who still want a old style phone? Even my dad is using a smart phone. Athough he only use it for calling and texting.

Ms office is also available for Android @mheredge . But I am not sure that it is as smooth in operation as in windows OS. @mheredge

That's one advantage my new Acer tablet has over the Samsung. It comes with MS Office. I haven't really explored using it too seriously so far but it certainly looks very useful.
  • Emmanuel_FelixEmmanuel_Felix Posts: 13 ✭✭
    I guess the only one good thing is that the battery for the old nokia models had a great lasting, some of them up to 1 week, I hope this new model keeps up the same property
    This is biggest advantage of the old style phones @Emmanuel_Felix. Being smart takes a lot of energy!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,327 mod
    mheredge said:

I don't think anyone would have bought it without it being able to access the internet @GemmaRowlands. Even if it might have the 'old' look it still can do more than the simple voice-messaging version. Does the new Nokia have a camera?

Possibly. I would have, just to play "Snake" though! I don't know whether it has a camera or not. I think the problem is that it doesn't look like the old phone, they're just giving it the same name and putting snake on it. Not as good as I'd thought.
  • soupmantrasoupmantra Posts: 298 ✭✭
    Sounds like a good phone. I think many people would like to own this phone. It looks like a great phone with new features added, good price deal and battery will last more than current smartphones. Sure it can't beat current generation smartphones in terms of features but I think it will be a decent phone and it will surely have some market.
    @soupmantra can you access your emails with it?
    @mheredge Features of this phone does tell that it has emails. It will be far from push notification currently present in today's smartphone but you will be able to check emails whenever you want.
    Then maybe it does have a value @soupmantra. The poor battery power of smart phones can be a serious problem especially travelling where you don't have much electricity.
    @mheredge I agree with you.
  • DannyyuDannyyu Posts: 4
    Well what it the duration of batter and hardness of the phone,most important can new Nokia survive a fall like the old Nokia 3310
This discussion has been closed.