Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

NASA DISCOVERS 'TREASURE TROVE' OF EARTH-SIZED PLANETS.

DoraDora Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 23 in Science and nature
Guys,

Have you heard that seven new planets have been discovered? All seven planets could have liquid water under the right atmospheric conditions, but the chances are highest with the three in the habitable zone.

Here, take a look:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/science/exoplanet-discovery-take-360-degree-9901232

Comments

• mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. I knew this news! those seven earth size exoplanets are 40 light years far from us. It would take millions of year to reach there. Let's hope we would find any alien friend there!
    @Dora
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,063 mod
    There must be aliens out there somewhere don't you think? Surely we're not the only creatures and I'm sure that there must be far more intelligent beings out there (which wouldn't be very difficult all things considered).
  • mpassalampassala Posts: 124 Inactive
    It's a terrific discovery, we finally found a star system similar to ours. However, chances to find life on those planets are not so high. There are so many key factors to take into account. Life on earth has been made possible by a lot of circumstances, starting from temperature to the atmosphere and not at last, earth's metallic core that protect us from solar storms.

I agree that somewhere in the universe there is some life besides us. Since we found a possible candidate planet in 40 light years, imagine how many we could find in more than 20 billions light years. As @mohit_singh pointed out, it will take so much time to get there, i wonder if one day we will be able to travel so far.
    edited February 24
    If I will start my journey today and if I would have continuous descendent. My 100000th grandchild will reach to those 7 exoplanets. Isn't interesting! I am thinking about fuel. I think spacecraft have to be designed to work on solar energy only.What could be the other source of energy out there?

I forgot to mention the age of every child of mine should be 100 years. I just consider it.
    I would be very surprised if there wasn't some kind of life out there. Certainly not in any form we might recognise. We are infants in the scheme of things and certainly can't profess to have great knowledge about these things @mpassala.
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,669 mod
    I watched this news yesterday as well. :smiley:
    I wonder if which of these planets we can live for aside from Mars. ;)
    Do you mean if we can't continue living on our own planet @kindgnice? I think maybe we'd be a lot better off trying to protect the environment on Earth rather than waste money and resources trying to go somewhere else to ruin instead!
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,669 mod
    mheredge said:

Do you mean if we can't continue living on our own planet @kindgnice? I think maybe we'd be a lot better off trying to protect the environment on Earth rather than waste money and resources trying to go somewhere else to ruin instead!

Yes I'm also willing to share my knowledge to save our mother earth @mheredge. Honestly, my research proposal is environment-friendly. ;)
  • homanmihhomanmih Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    Why are we so eager in attempting to find extraterrestrial life? We very often couldn't understand nearby beloved. Relationship between people are weird, aggressive and sometimes even mad.
    Maybe we're going to share your rich experience of killing environment.
    Or we hope that aliens will teach us how become clever?
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,727 mod
    I think it's an interesting discovery, and I think it is very interesting to think that at some point in the future we might be able to choose which planet we live on. Now THAT'S relocating!
    edited February 24
    I think Instead of finding a new planet where we could get water, oxygen and food(favourable environment) we need to focus on to create a hybrid human who can live on that other planets without these resources or with any of these resources. B) :p >:)
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24
    Isn't there any possibility that there could have been life on some other planets; they actually have evolved into some intellectual beings, but since they have completely different forms of being that we have never imagined before, and that in fact they have already always been around us, but we just have never recognized them due to our poor imagination, and we've been calling them ghosts or spirits or gods?

Just a possibility
    It could be @takafromtokyo. The species or ghost may have a different planet where they are staying like we do on earth but they come here regularly to visit us. They may be missing their old days on earth and hence came here to refresh their reminiscence.
  • LeeInHaLeeInHa Posts: 26 ✭✭
    It's very incredible news. If it's true, human will occupy them in future. And Human's Space technology will growth and promotion rapidly.
    Given humans' destructive tendencies @LeeInHa, it might be better for the rest of the universe if we stay put on planet Earth, don't you think?
    mheredge wrote: »
    Given humans' destructive tendencies @LeeInHa, it might be better for the rest of the universe if we stay put on planet Earth, don't you think?

Haha! I agree! We can use those planet for nuclear test as well.
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭
    So, what condition is needed for life to happen on a planet? Water and moderate temperature seem to be necessary. What about oxygen, carbon or something else?
  • DoraDora Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭

So, what condition is needed for life to happen on a planet? Water and moderate temperature seem to be necessary. What about oxygen, carbon or something else?

@Yellowtail - Doesn't water contain oxygen?

• YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭
    @Dora
    Oh, that's right!
    Oh, I guess, I missed the smiley!
    Dora said:

@Yellowtail - Doesn't water contain oxygen? :)

Isn't there any possibility that there could have been life on some other planets; they actually have evolved into some intellectual beings, but since they have completely different forms of being that we have never imagined before, and that in fact they have already always been around us, but we just have never recognized them due to our poor imagination, and we've been calling them ghosts or spirits or gods?

Just a possibility

Some say scientists have been sending a number of messages to check for the aliens on those planets and they have received the replies too! But the language in which the replies are, has not been discovered or understood yet. They are working on it, anyway.
    Dora said:

Just a possibility

Some say scientists have been sending a number of messages to check for the aliens on those planets and they have received the replies too! But the language in which the replies are, has not been discovered or understood yet. They are working on it, anyway.
    Is it true? or again you forgot to put a smiley there @Dora
  • prateekprateek Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    I don't think if scientists are receiving the replies. They are getting weak signals in form of electromagnetic spectrum and it can be temperature noise or other noise of the universe. So it is still controversial and they are collecting more data and way to approach their signal without getting distorted from other violent waves present in the Universe. :) @Dora
    edited February 26
    prateek said:

I don't think if scientists are receiving the replies. They are getting weak signals in form of electromagnetic spectrum and it can be temperature noise or other noise of the universe. So it is still controversial and they are collecting more data and way to approach their signal without getting distorted from other violent waves present in the Universe. :) @Dora

This could be one cause of the several other possibilities! There could be much more out there! @prateek @Dora
    After watching Arrival last night @mohit_singh, anything seems possible! You too @Yellowtail, did you watch Arrival? It is a good movie. Thanks @aladdin for recommending it.

ANother interesting story I saw today is how Mars now needs lawyers!

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/mars-needs-lawyers/?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits

Is it true? or again you forgot to put a smiley there @Dora

I don't know, but it is being said. I think people are just making guesses about the aliens.

BTW - Isn't it intriguing? Anxious to know what @science24 thinks about it.

I came across a big black stone board standing by itself on the road today. When I tried touching it, I felt like something in my brain was awoken. Perhaps have aliens done something to me?

LOL @Yellowtail. Maybe it's an electric shock. ;)
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    edited March 7
    The Earth's life is based on the hydrocarbon chemistry. This is because of the carbon's ability to produce a wide variety of hydrocarbon compounds of virtually unlimited length and complexity such as DNAs, RNAs and proteins.

These compounds are stable in the certain range of temperatures and pressures which are conditions found on the Earth. Because of this most scientists looking for extraterrestrial life have been looking for planets similar to Earth.

But less than a year ago a group of scientists discovered that "high-pressure chemistry of hydronitrogens is much more diverse than hydrocarbon chemistry at normal conditions."

"This, in turn, opens a possibility of nitrogen-based life at high pressure." High-pressure conditions exist on gas giants, e.g. planets like Saturn or Jupiter. Therefore they may be homes for nitrogen forms of life with which we cannot co-exist in the same place.

the quotations are from here: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4872144/

(Actually, I learned this from an article in the Russian version of Popular Mechanics, not from that scientific piece, but I have failed to google up an English version.)