Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Tell us a fact about a happening that occured in the past on today's date.

Comments

• jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 815 OTT
    @prateek @takafromtokyo @mheredge @Yellowtail

I did my April Joke on Duolingo
    and it fooled quite a few number

Perhaps I could get a job with Trump
    Fake news being so much in the news

Enjoy the day
  • DeucalionDeucalion Posts: 741 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    > @Paulette said:
    > On March 23, 1948 Carmaker Citroën presents a new small car, which was suitable for the rugged French countryside.

Cool bone shaker, by the way! :love:
    I would enjoy driving you in it when you are hopelessly late! Yahoo-o-o-o!!!
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 11,023 mod
    @Deucalion that is very nice of you, maybe I have then a reason for being late!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,060 mod
    It is suggested that April Fools' Day began after the shift from the Julian calendar during the 1500s (with the new year starting around the March equinox) to the Gregorian calendar (which starts the on January 1). Some people were mocked if they didn't know about the switch and followed the old calendar.

Speaking of ridiculous: In 1962 there was only one TV channel in Sweden, Sveriges Television which broadcast in black and white. As an April Fools' joke, it was announced that viewers could convert their sets to display color. They simply needed to pull a nylon stocking over the screen.

http://hoaxes.org/archive/permalink/instant_color_tv

edited April 2017
    @prateek @takafromtokyo @mohit_singh @jackelliot

On April 2, 1805 Hans Christian Andersen was born, a famous Danish fairy tale writer.
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭✭
    I will try to read this fairy tale. @paulette. I hope that we have English version of this fairy tale. Is it devided in smaller story form?
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you very much for this book @paulette. Now we will read this book on our monday session on LESC. Previously we were reading tales from Shakespeare play. That was too tough for us. Now, I think every member could pick these tales easily from English version of the book.

I get the free PDF version from internet.
    edited April 2017
    > @Paulette said:
    > @Deucalion that is very nice of you, maybe I have then a reason for being late!

You'll have a reason to hug me with gratitude for arriving just on time, @Paulette! :wink:
    And to tell your people what a thrilliing experience it was. :grin:
    edited April 2017
    @Deucalion how do you know it was a thrilling experience for me! :)

I like oldtimers and believe me or not but yesterday I was a passenger of a MG - Midget Roadster from 1962 because my son-in-law has one of his father.

edited April 2017
    > @Paulette said:
    > @Deucalion how do you know it was a thrilling experience for me! :)
    When I drive someone who is in a great hurry, I do it at an ultimate speed, so thrills are guarateed, @Paulette. :trollface:
    edited April 2017
    It is a really interesting version of how the April Fools' Day began, @mheredge , thanks for sharing. :smiley:
    It's amazing how credule people can be sometimes. I'm afraid that man got a harsh head lathering from his wife for tearing her tights. :no_mouth:
    People can be very credulous @Deucalion (more fool them). Pull the other leg, it's got bells.
    @prakteek @takafromtokyo @mohit_singh @jackelliot @Michouxe

It is on April 3, 2017 exactly 44 years ago that a first phone call took place with a mobile phone.
    Anno 2017 we know that it that time is that the world has completely changed.
  • prateekprateek Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    > @Paulette said:
    > @prakteek @takafromtokyo @mohit_singh @jackelliot @Michouxe
    >
    >
    >
    > It is on April 3, 2017 exactly 44 years ago that a first phone call took place with a mobile phone.
    > Anno 2017 we know that it that time is that the world has completely changed.

I think it is on April 3, 1973, from a Manhattan street corner -- 6th Ave. between 53rd and 54th -- Motorola's Martin Cooper placed the world's first mobile phone call. (Source Google)
    You have typed 2017 instead of 1973 and its not any mistake but typing error. :)
    @prakteek I said it is on April 3 exactly 44 year ago that that there was the first talk in a mobile phone. ;)
    I suppose people were communicating with radios before that, which are like mobile phones in a way. I wonder how big those first mobile phones were. Even my first Nokia was quite chunky in 2003.
    @prateek @mohit_singh @takafromtokyo @jackelliot

Op 4 april 1968 wordt Martin Luther King, een Amerikaanse baptistendominee, politiek leider en een van de prominentste leden van de Amerikaanse burgerrechtenbeweging vermoord door James Earl Ray in een motel in Memphis, Tennessee.

In India maakte een aardbeving op 4 april 1905 in de Kangra Valley 20.000 doden en de stad Dharamsala werd praktisch compleet vernietigd.
    @Paulette, you now need to translate this into English!

Is the second piece of news about an earthquake in Kangra Valley? It is very seismic here.
    @mheredge sorry for my mistake yesterday, I was disturbed in my mind.

On April 4, 1968 is Martin Luther King, an American Baptist minister, political leader and one of the most prominent members of the American civil rights movement assassinated by James Earl Ray at a motel in Memphis, Tennessee.

India made an earthquake on April 4, 1905 in the Kangra Valley Dharamsala 20,000 dead and the city was destroyed almost completely.
    I guessed this was about the earthquake in Dharamsala. I have been here and it is still remembered, especially in the old churchyard in Mcleodganj, where many of the victims are buried @Paulette.
    @takafromtokyo @prateek @mohit_singh

On April 5, 1962 meeting Swiss and Italian workers after four years of drilling each opened under the St. Bernard mountain and the Great St Bernard Tunnel is for cars in March 1964's.

On April 5, 1998 opens in Japan, the Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge. The bridge linking Shikoku with Honshu and cost about US $ 3.8 billion. It is the longest suspension bridge in the world.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,708 mod
    Paulette said:

@prateek @takafromtokyo @jackelliot

April 1 is regarded as an international day of jokes.
    According to the encyclopedia began April 1 joke of the following commands:

"Send someone somewhere with an impossible message."

The victim is sent on to purchase or pick up all kinds of imaginary and non-existent things. There used to be a lot of questions such as; demand for a round square, dry snow, a ax of glass or mosquitoes toes. The joke is used in much the same way in many parts of Europe and is also known in America, Russia, Australia and North Afrika.1 April, considered international day of jokes.

These sound like great jokes. In England, if you are new to a job, you are traditionally set tasks like these on your first day - and so many people are concentrating on impressing their new company that they try to do the tasks, without realising that they are hopeless!
    @GemmaRowlands Like looking for the left handed scissors
    edited April 2017
    @prateek @takafromtokyo @mohit_singh @jackelliot

On April 6, 1896 started in Athens the first modern Olympic Games. At the first modern Olympics participated a total of 241 athletes from 14 countries. Participation was not open to women in that year. The program included athletics (including the marathon), gymnastics, swimming, fencing and weightlifting. Sailing was also on the program, but had to be canceled due to strong winds.
    edited April 2017
    @Paulette modern olympics started before that date
    @jackelliot can you say me when it was. I found this date on wikipedia.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,708 mod

@GemmaRowlands Like looking for the left handed scissors

Yes - except that in my country left-handed scissors actually exist, so they would probably be able to find some!
    @GemmaRowlands oh so insightful ..thanks for the scissors
    Leonora Carrington was born on this day a century ago
    On this day in 1199 Richard the Lionheart died