Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Tell us a fact about a happening that occured in the past on today's date.

Comments

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,708 mod
    Paulette said:

@prateek @takafromtokyo @jackelliot @Michouxe

March 22, 2016 - Terrorist attacks by terrorist group IS in the departure hall of Brussels Airport and a metro in Brussels Maelbeek Metro Station.
    There was 35 dead and 340 wounded.

It was an exciting day, one of my daughters was in the metro Maelbeek when it happened, but fortunately she was not injured, but was very excited.

The perpetrators were returned Foreign rebel fighters in the Syrian Civil War. They were linked to terror group Islamic State (IS), that is responsibility for the attacks have claimed the same day. These were the same cell who was also responsible for the attacks in Paris in November 2015.

Wow, I can't believe it's been a whole year since this happened. I remember watching it on the news and being really shocked that someone would want to do something like that.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 11,023 mod
    edited March 2017
    @prateek @takafromtokyo @jackelliot

On March 23, 1948 Carmaker Citroën presents a new small car, which was suitable for the rugged French countryside.

The acronym stands for 2CV Deux Chevaux Vapeur ', which means two horsepower. The 2CV was produced between 1948 and 1990. During that period, there are about 4 million built.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,060 mod
    Yesterday @mohit_singh. Thank you!

Today is an important day for Pakistan. Republic Day or Pakistan Resolution Day commemorates the Lahore Resolution that was passed on the 23rd of March 1940 and the adoption of the first constitution of Pakistan. Then on 23 March 1956 the Dominion of Pakistan became the Islamic Republic of Pakistan making Pakistan the world's first Islamic republic.

It is a public holiday. @Bubbly, does this mean you are having a well-earned day off?
    @prateek @takafromtokyo @jackelliot @Wirginia

On March 24, 1882 Robert Koch announces his famous discovery of the bacterium Mycobacterium tuberculosis causing tuberculosis. He received in 1905 the Nobel Prize for Medicine.

Before the Second World War TBC had a status similar to the disease of AIDS several years ago: often fatal and barely treatable disease.

After the discovery of antibiotics, there was a proper treatment for tuberculosis.
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    The Germanwings airliner crashed into the mountain in France two years ago today. 150 people died. It turned out it the co-pilot caused it deliberately. He locked out the captain from the cockpit, and made the airplain crash. He seemed to suffer from mental illness, but he had not inform the company of that.
    I wonder if there is not the way prevent such a incident. It's a huge risk that only one of the crew suffering a mental issue can cause such a disaster.
    Was is as long as two years @Yellowtail? My goodness, time flies! This was such a tragic incident. I'm not sure whether airlines have implemented it but there was talk at the time to make it impossible for the pilot to lock himself into the cockpit in future.

A bit obscure, but on the 24th March 2008 Bhutan officially became a democracy, with its first ever general election. Up until then it had been ruled by an absolute monarch. The king still holds quite a lot of power and influence but not as much as before.

It is such a shame that it will be events such as these that young people of today remember. I wish we lived in a world where people were just happy to spend time with each other without wanting to fight!
    edited March 2017
    @prateek @takafromtokyo @mohit_singh @jackelliot

March 25 two times a special day for me, it is the birthday of my youngest son and also the birthday of my oldest granddaughter. These two moments give to me a special memory in my life as a mother and grandmother. It's a special day and it makes me happy.
  • MichouxeMichouxe Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Paulette, Happy birthday for your youngest son and your oldest granddaughter! ( for tomorrow) <3
    It seems that in the year 31 on March 25th this was when the first Easter was celebrated, according to calendar-maker Dionysius Exiguus.

Then apparently in 421 on Friday 25th March at 12 PM (precisely?), the city of Venice was founded!

Any way, that what http://www.onthisday.com/events/march/25 lists for today.
    edited March 2017
    @prateek @takafromtokyo @jackelliot @mohit_singh

March 26, 1851 - In the Panthéon in Paris demonstrates the French scientist Léon Foucault with a 67 meter pendulum that the earth rotates.

The Foucault Crater in the moon is named after him. He is one of 72 French people whose names are inscribed on the Eiffel Tower.

-----------------

March 26, 1851 - In the Panthéon in Paris the French scientist Léon Foucault demonstrated how the earth rotates using a 67 meter pendulum.

The Foucault Crater on the moon is named after him. He is one of 72 French people whose names are inscribed on the Eiffel Tower.
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • LynneLynne Teach HomePosts: 9,876 mod
    26th March 1973 - The London Stock Exchange allowed women on to the trading floor for the first time in the institution's 200 year history.
    Source - On This Day

You still don't see many women there @Lynne. It is very testosterone dominated. Even the trading floors in banks have very few women working there.
  • chyijungchyijung Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Nobody goes to the stock exchange center anymore, people make their transaction at home nowadays.
    @prateek @mohit_singh @takafromtokyo @jackelliot

March 27 196 BC is an important date on the "Rosetta Stone" a dark granite stone (112 by 76 cm) in July 1799 in Egypt who was discovered by French sappers.

The text on the Rosetta stone dated March 27 196 BC was found to be an important key to deciphering hieroglyphics. This led to an understanding of the meaning of hieroglyphs and other languages which had remained untranslated for many centuries.
  • prateekprateek Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    On 27th March 1871, First International Rugby match was played between Scotland and England in Edinburgh.

@Paulette @jackelliot
    @prateek @takafromtokyo @mohit_singh @jackelliot

March 28, 1914 Belgium got its first first radio broadcast from the Royal Palace. Then it was a concert that began with an aria from Tosca, broadcast for the entire royal family.
    Can we humans this now more than 100 years ago us even imagine?
  • jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 815 OTT
    @prateek @takafromtokyo @mohit_singh @Paulette

This was the day yesterday for Whisky

An International day for whisky

Here are a few pictures to illustrate

Hope that you have a lovely day.

http://jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/03/the-international-whisky-day.html
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭✭
    @jackelliot
    Nice blog!
    34 bottles a second!
    Which means people are consuming 34 bottles of whiskey a second, otherwise the world will be flooded with whiskey overflow.
    mheredge said:

It seems that in the year 31 on March 25th this was when the first Easter was celebrated, according to calendar-maker Dionysius Exiguus.

Then apparently in 421 on Friday 25th March at 12 PM (precisely?), the city of Venice was founded!

Any way, that what http://www.onthisday.com/events/march/25 lists for today.

That's interesting. I wonder why they change the date for Easter. It doesn't seem to make sense to do that, as you would think that the event was a set date in time.
  • prateekprateek Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    @jackelliot

Your blog is really awesome! and I wish you will keep it up. I enjoyed reading your blog.
    @prateek @takafromtokyo @mohit_singh

Mantovani Orchestra leader dies at 29 March 1980 in Tunbridge Wells, in Kent, England. Anyone who has ever stood in an elevator, where music is played, has probably heard the easy listening sound of Mantovani.
    After graduation, he formed his own orchestra, which played in and around Birmingham. By the outbreak of World War II his orchestra one of the most popular in England, with appearances on BBC radio and in concert halls.
    @prateek @takafromtokyo @mohit_singh

On March 30, 1842 - An ether anesthesia is used for the first time in an operation by US physician Crawford Long.
    chyijung said:

Nobody goes to the stock exchange center anymore, people make their transaction at home nowadays.

Private individuals do @chyijung but most of the big business is still done through brokerage houses and investment banks. Companies may provide their broker with funds to manage (hence the job of fund managers).

A lot of people don't want the hassle of monitoring their portfolios, so prefer to leave it in the hands of their stockbroker who manages their discretionary account, deciding on behalf of their client what to invest their money in. Even those interested enough to know what they want to invest in, don't always want to do it themselves. They then will have an advisory account and instruct their broker to act on their behalf.
    @prateek @takafromtokyo @mohit_singh @jackelliot @mheredge

The Eiffel Tower was built between 1887 and 1889 on the occasion of the World Exhibition of 1889 and was inaugurated on 31 March 1989. The year 1889 was not chosen by chance: it was the centenary of the French Revolution.

The population of Paris was the first years after building the tower not at all happy with the monument, a metal monstrosity. Today, the Eiffel Tower, however, considered an architectural masterpiece.
    It's nothing but a giant thermometer @Paulette! At least that is what I came to identify it with from all the souvenirs that are sold with a little thermometer stuck to the model Eiffel Tower.

On this day in 1959, His Holiness the Dalai Lama fled China and was granted political asylum in India.
    @prateek @takafromtokyo @jackelliot

April 1 is regarded as an international day of jokes.
    According to the encyclopedia began April 1 joke of the following commands:

"Send someone somewhere with an impossible message."

The victim is sent on to purchase or pick up all kinds of imaginary and non-existent things. There used to be a lot of questions such as; demand for a round square, dry snow, a ax of glass or mosquitoes toes. The joke is used in much the same way in many parts of Europe and is also known in America, Russia, Australia and North Afrika.1 April, considered international day of jokes.
    Today is Apple's the 41st birthday! I'm not a big Apple fan. But I'm sure it is the company that has changed the world more than any other companies for the last decades.
    @Paulette
    I respect the people in European cities that have long history for the seriousness about preservation of the view. Especially Paris is even today known for the restriction of building height. So I understand the feeling of opposition to the construction of Eiffel Tower in the late 19th century. That must have been seen like an ugly iron skeleton sticking out from the beautiful stone buildings. Even though I like the tower as many other people.