Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Tell us a fact about a happening that occured in the past on today's date.

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,060 mod
    This is very relevant to what I am reading now, about the children that were saved in France from these kind of camps @Michouxe and @Paulette. Village of Secrets by Caroline Moorehead tells how villagers defied the Nazis in Vichy France, hiding children so they weren't sent to the death camps. Many however were sent to Auschwitz and other camps in Poland.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 11,023 mod
    @mheredge and @Michouxe in the Dossin barracks in Mechelen you discover in a scientifically founded way the appalling history of the genocide of Jews and Gypsies in Belgium and Europe during World War II. The museum is located in this former Dossin barracks from where thousands of Jews approach their death to the concentration camps. The aim of a visit to this museum is to highlight this painful episode from world history in a penetrating yet serene way so that history does not repeat itself. More than 30,000 prisoners were taken from the barracks to the concentration camps, only 1200 of them survived.
    I visited already twice this museum and, the last time it was very drastic, because the guide was a son whose dad had returned from Auschwitz. This guide told us the story he had heard from his dad.
    I visited Auschwitz one time, on a miserable, cold rainy day @Paulette. The place was so atmospheric (no doubt made worse by the weather) and I will never forget how awful that place was as long as I live. It is a very important memorial to how terrible mankind can be to each other.
  • MichouxeMichouxe Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11
    On April11, 2004 Arjan Enkel is liberated after imprisonment 20 months.
    He is a Dutch cultural anthropologist and old co-worker of the international relieforganization “Doctors without Borders”.
    On August 12, 2002 Arjan Erkel was kidnapped by three armed men In Machatsjkala, the capital of the Russian partial republic Dagestan.
    During the captivity, according to "Doctors without Borders", the Russian authorities did very little to liberate Arjan Enkel, while the organization received mesages that Enkel was still alive.
    During this period there wasn’t anything of information about Enkel’s address, the motive about the kidnapping or who was responsible for the kidnapping.
    On Easter Sunday, April 11, 2004 Arjan was released after 607 days of captivity through an intervention of a society from KGB veterans.
    At the end of May 2004 was known, that the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs paid one million euro ransom . (770,000 euros by Foreign Affairs and 230,000 euros by AzG Switzerland).

Yuri Gagarin is perhaps one of the most famous space travelers in history. On April 12 in 1961 he was the first person in the world to make a space flight in his Russian Vostok space capsule. Yuri Gagarin was an example for communism and the Soviet Union. He traveled all around the world to tell his ideals and story story to everyone.
    Gagarin is also a hero in today's Russia. He died after a jet fighter crash in 1968 and was buried near the Kremlin wall. Every year on April 12, on the day of the cosmonauts, a wreath is laid. The cosmonautic training center Juri Gagarin in Star City near Moscow is named after him.

edited April 12
    April 12, 1997 is special day for Jan Smit, Today , 21 years ago he stood with the song 'I sing this song for you alone' as new entrant immediatelly on number 1 In the Dutch hit parates. This had never happened earlier In history of the Top 40. An old fashionated tearjerker, focused to his grandmother.The then 10-year-old Jantje sang in the Volendam’s boys choir.
    In one go at the top the Beatles only ever succeeded, even three times, and Procol harum, In 1967, with the world hit ‘A whiter shade of pale’.

>
  • art34art34 Posts: 12 ✭✭
    In 1633 Galileo Galilei's process started. He was accused of heresion. He supported the heliocentric idea altough in those days it was believed that the earth is the center of the universe !?! Some people believe in that even today :smiley:
    On 13 April 1860 James Ensor was born in Ostend, Belgium and died there too at the age of 89. He was a Belgian painter of symbolism. He is widely recognized as the most important innovator of modern art in Belgium, a deviant individualist who could not easily be accommodated in one or other art direction.
    Ensor was a rather unpretentious, idiosyncratic person and in the beginning of his painting life his works were often rejected, making him angry and rebellious.
    He is best known for his mask paintings, but in the early oeuvre of James Ensor there are no masks yet. But as he felt ignored or rejected by the art world, he became more and more rancorous to it. A conflict situation arose between him and society, so that he uses highly charged images, such as masks, skeletons, death, carnival and transvestites to make that society a fool.

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,708 mod
    mheredge said:

I visited Auschwitz one time, on a miserable, cold rainy day @Paulette. The place was so atmospheric (no doubt made worse by the weather) and I will never forget how awful that place was as long as I live. It is a very important memorial to how terrible mankind can be to each other.

I really want to visit, although I imagine that I will feel quite emotional when I am there because of everything that happened in the camp.
    On April 13,1959 the Giant of Rotterdam was with a length of 2.37 meter the longest man from the Netherlands.
    He died of a brain tumor in the hospital In leiden. Rigardus Rijnhout was born In Rotterdam on April 21,1922. Through a growth disorder he growh after his thirt life year more than other children. He had a deviation at his brain gland and he reached a lenght of 2.37 meter. Rigardus had shoe size 62 and he weighed 230 kilos. The Giant of Rotterdam received well known because he walked as a walking billboard through the streets of Rotterdam. By a fall of the bicycle, however Rigardus Rijnhout became handicapped and ended up in a wheelchair. When a brain tumor was discovered, he had to be lifted with a crane, in the hospital of Leiden. Not much later the longest man of the Netherlands died. He only became 36 year old.

In 2015 the tallest man met the shortest in the world. This chap was 2.51m so beat the 1959 record, but maybe his mother fed him a better diet @Michouxe!

On April 14, 1912, the largest ship in the world, the Titanic, sails on an iceberg. 1517 passengers are killed. The accident of and with this legendary ship (which has only been in service for 4 days) still appeals to the imagination. The designers and builders of the Titanic were firmly convinced that the ship was unsinkable due to a multitude of watertight bulkheads. The fact that the disaster with the Titanic made so many victims has everything to do with the faith of the engineers in their infallibility.

Because of the length of 269 meters the ship could accommodate 2227 passengers. For the purely psychological effect, lifeboats were placed on the Titanic, but this was only for half the number of passengers. After research it appeared that the already scarce number of lifeboats was occupied for half. As a result, only 710 people survived the disaster.

On 13th of April 1963 chess grandmaster Gary Kasparov was born. Who likes to play a chess ?
    @art34 playing chess is a hobby of my oldest son, he likes it very much. He started playing chess when he was ten years old. He established on these times a chess club at his school then and this club still exist and my son is already 46 years old.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 900 ✭✭✭
    The US President Abraham Lincoln was assasinated on this day (April, 14) by the well-known stage actor John Wilkes Booth at Ford's Theatre in Washington, D.C. He died next day from a gunshot in the head.
    Leonardo da Vinci was born on 15 April 1452. He was an architect, inventor, engineer, philosopher, physicist, chemist, anatomist, sculptor, writer, painter and composer from the Florentine Republic, during the Italian Renaissance.
    He is seen as the example of the renaissance ideal of the homo universalis and as genius.
    His most famous work is the Mona Lisa, which is in the Paris Louvre Museum now, and a Fresco of The Last Supper, in the Santa Maria delle Grazie, Milan.

A well-known drawing that Leonardo da Vinci made is: the 'Vitruvian man'. He made the drawing around 1490 as an illustration, a beautiful study of the human body.
    Currently there are 17 of his works, mostly drawings owned by Queen Elizabeth and are kept in the Royal Collection of the Windsor Castle in England.

@Paulette I was taught playing chess by my grandfather. I'm not sure but I was 6-7 years old then. The interesting thing is that in polish primary schools learning chess is obligatory and even in some kindergartens children are learnt to play chess.
    My father taught me how to play chess too @art34. He always used to beat me, except one time when I think he wasn't feeling all that well!
    In Great Britain on April 15, 1989: 96 spectators are killed as 4000 football fans without tickets come up the crowded stands. Liverpool and Nottingham are playing the 17th semi-final of the English FA Cup. The game will be played at Hillsborough, the home port of Sheffield Wednesday football club since the semi-finals are traditionally become played on neutral ground. The stadion isn't calculated for the enormous mass and the police surveillance reacts at the panic who was arises in some boxes, as if it were hooligans who want to go on the field. Finally, 96 people aged 10 to 69 don't survive the disaster, 1 victim remains in a coma for 4 years.

The Hillsborough disaster is etched on my mind @Michouxe as being one of the worst disasters. The nightmare of being crushed in the panic of a large crowd is something I find always very frightening.
    @mheredge maybe you want to play ? ;)
    Albert Hofmann, a Swiss chemist, discovered on 16 April 1943 the hallucinogenic substance LSD.

In the laboratory where Hofmann worked, research was carried out on lysergenic acid, a basic chemical structure found in ergot. One of the lysergic acid variants was lysergic acid diethylamide, known in its laboratory as LSD-25. During the purification of the LSD Hofmann experiented a pleasant intoxication of several hours, characterized by an enormous strengthening of the imagination and a changed perception of the world around him. When he closed his eyes, he saw vivid, kaleidoscopic, colorful images. He realized that these effects could have been caused by the substance he worked with that day. He tested it again three days later and received the same observations.
    Since then, LSD has been used worldwide by psychiatrists for the treatment of mental illnesses such as psychoses (eg schizophrenia).
    LSD causes strong trips. During these trips, the user is consciously and physically fit. LSD causes strong visual hallucinations, deep thoughts, change of time experience and synaesthesia (for example, hearing color or seeing sounds). There is also a rise of forgotten memories or a new interpretation of past experiences.

LSD is not addictive, but in the sixties of the last century was mainly used as a drug during the hippie period. It is considered dangerous because you do not know any dangers during an LSD trip.

I somehow did not think that LSD was developed for a 'good' reason @Paulette. Did Hofmann use himself as a guinea pig to test it out?
    @mheredge LSD was discovered by chance, but because of the effects it was used in the cases of psychiatric diseases because it gave return of forgotten memories or a new interpretation of past experiences.
    But that Hofmann also enjoyed himselves is a public secret.
    Do you know that Jim Morisson used LSD too and not to mention the Beatles and Aldous Huxley the writer of the Brave New World.
    edited April 16
    On April 16, 1862, In the midle of the American Civil War, slavery was abolished by law in the District of Columbia (the area around the American capital city Washington). The law doesn’t count for all States of the Union( the Northern States) but is well the breakthrough for abolitionists ( proponent of abolition of slavery). In 1863 President Lincoln of the union created his Emancipation Proclamation. This law finnaly has as a result the definitive abolition of slavery after the Civil War. The estimated 6 million Afro Americans can live in “freedom”.

edited April 16
    On April 17 in 1924, the famous movie studio MGM was founded in Hollywood by a merger between Metro Pictures, Goldwyn Picturen and Loui-s B. Mayer. The logo used by the studio is known by everyone: the roaring lion.
    The studio is seen as the most renowned film studio ever and was previously one of the driving forces behind the film industry. The company was acquired in 2005 by a consortium led by Sony Pictures Entertainment.

@Paulette I remember the famous roaring lion very well. Who not?
  • walterwalter Posts: 169 ✭✭
    One year ago, I was yet be a student. At that time before one year I had an examine on college, but I don`t know ceartinly that it was be exactly this day, but it was be mid of this months of the previous year.
  • VokVok Posts: 535 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge @Paulette The other day I was reading an article about LSD being in use by Sillicon Valley's entrepreneurs who allegedly take a micro dose of the drug to boost creativity. It says that a small amount of the drug doesn't cause hallucinations. Alertness, energy and creativity are being heightened instead. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates are among household names who dabbled at the drug at some point.
    Artists and writers dabble in all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff in the name of creativity @Vok. All I can say, is good luck to them.