Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Tell us a fact about a happening that occured in the past on today's date.

Comments

• jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 815 OTT

@prateek @takafromtokyo @mohit_singh @Paulette @mheredge

This was the popular song on this day in 1950

http://jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/03/chattanoogie-shoe-shine-boy.html

• YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    @Paulette
    Three years have passed already. Time flies!
    By the way, the airport has made another mystery the last month. The half brother of the North Korea's leader was killed in the terminal where people bustiling around. What happened?
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭✭
    @Paulette

Oh, I remember that news about the missing airplane. It was this date. And it's already been four years! How fast the time flies. I guess I heard at some point, they had found a piece of the plane, but I may be wrong.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 11,023 mod
    @takafromtokyo

You are quite right Taka.

Early March 2016 washed ashore at the Mozambican coast a piece of metal that looked like from flight MH370. The Malaysian-Australian research team confirmed that the pieces of metal almost certainly came from flight MH370; the paint appeared to correspond.

It is the day for flowers and respect

http://jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/03/international-woman-s-day.html

@jackelliot
    I went to the link. That's a great work that you've done!!

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,060 mod
    Was it that long ago @Paulette? It seemed more recent.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,708 mod
    Paulette said:

@prateek @mohit_singh @takafromtokyo

March 4 in 1678, Italian composer Antonio Vivaldi was born. Who does not know his wonderful "Four seasons "
    The Four Seasons (Le quattro stagioni in Italian) is a set of four violin concertos by Antonio Vivaldi. He completed this work in 1723. The Four Seasons is Vivaldi's best-known work and is among the most popular works of classical music.

Oh wow, I think that is really something to celebrate! He has written so much beautiful music, and I know that my life is enhanced thanks to what he has written.
    @prateek @takafromtokyo @mohit_singh @jackelliot

The Notre-Dame of Orval founded on 9 March 1132, is one of the most remarkable Cistercian abbeys in Belgium.
    Nestled in a deep valley they still houses a community of monks.
    The source, the ancient rose window and the garden with medicinal plants, are three strengths to visit the ruins.

There is still quite delicious Orval beer brewed on the centuries-old way.
    @Paulette

I checked their site ....http://www.orval.be/en/home/Abbey .. wonderful
    @Paulette @prateek @takafromtokyo @mohit_singh @GemmaRowlands @Yellowtail

On this day

http://jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/03/love-patience-charity-and-freedom.html

The bombing of Tokyo on 9 March 10, 1945 was one of the bombing of Tokyo. An American bombing of Tokyo during the Second World War required 83 793 deaths and an unknown number wounded and missing. Generally it is seen as the deadliest air raid ever.
    Mar. 10

The day of "Satou"
    The day of "Saboten"
    The day of "Minto"

These are kind of a pun, we're just playing with words and sounds.

3 for March is pronounced "san" and10 could be "tou " in Japanese. Then, Mar.10 could be read as "San-tou", thus "satou", which means sugar. The day of "Satou" is The Day of Sugar.

3 for March is pronounced "san" and 10 is ten, so Mar.10 could make a sound like "San-ten", which is almost like "sabo-ten", which means cactus. The day of "saboten" is The Day of Cactus.

3 for March is pronounced as "mittsu" and 10 could be read as "tou". Combine the two and we get "mittsu-tou"..."mit-to"..."minto", which is the Japanese word for mint. Mint as in mint chocolate . The day of "minto" is The day of Mint.
    edited March 2017
    @Paulette
    I heard my father's experience. He lived in Tokyo at the time when he was a child. They were warned that there would be the air raid just a few days before. So many people frantically evacuated to the country. They milled around the station. My grandfather threw his children into the train through the window, then himself too. They went to Yamagata, a rural area in the northeast regioin, and spent there for several months.

After the end of the war, when they returned to Tokyo, they saw most of the city had been leveled and scorched. Fortunately their house had survived though.

@takafromtokyo
    I didn't know them. But I know there are a lot of 'the day of something' based on a pun. So let's declear today is the day of father, because it's the day of 'tou-san'!
    @Yellowtail
    Oh, that'll be nice! Even though we already have a Father's Day. Why not? A couple of days for a year won't hurt anyone too badly!

Not such a good day for Napoleon today

http://jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/03/on-this-day-in-march-napoleon-lost-a-battle-in-france-this-was-the-battle-of-laon.html

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,708 mod
    In 1876, Alexander Graham Bell made the first phone call to Thomas Watson saying "Watson, come here. I need you."

I expect that was an incredibly exciting moment!
    @GemmaRowlands

Do you think the leaflet with the explanation how a phone from Bell worked, was as complicated as a smartphone now?
    @prateek @mohit_singh @takafromtokyo @jackelliot

March 11, 2004 aboard four commuter trains in Madrid, Spain, detonate bombs. There are 191 people die and there are 1400 wounded . The attacks seem the work of an al-Qaeda terrorist group.
    @Paulette
    I always wonder. What kind of an experience in life is needed to make someone grow up to be a terrorist?

The tone of the mainstream media has always been that there are those people who are "extreme" by nature. But from this kind of perception, we'll never understand why so many young people, who had been "an ordinary neighbor", just "suddenly" turn into an extreme terrorist. We might be overlooking a more profound and significant issue that our society involves.

on the 11th of March 1974

David bowie was in America

touring the diamond dogs

that later became Soul

http://jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/03/two-unreleased-albums-of-david-bowie.html

/
    We had the catastrophic earthquake 6 years ago today. I was in the office building in Tokyo after lunch when it happened. It was the strongest shake I have ever experienced. I couldn't stay standing up. But the the most shocking moment was when I knew the epicenter was in Tohoku, hundreds of kilometers away.
    I had to walk home for about 2 hours because the subway stopped. But everything we in Tokyo went through was insignificant, considering what people in Tohoku did.
  • prateekprateek Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    12th March 1930
    Mahatma Gandhi and his followers begin a 200 mile march to the salt beds of Jalalpur to campaign against the British tax on salt beginning the fight for Indian independence from Great Britain. What must also be remembered is he was 61 years old at the time and marched over 200 miles in a peaceful march as a form of protest.
    edited March 2017

12th March 1894
    The American pharmacist John Pemberton began selling Coca-Cola, an exciting julep with leaves of the coca plant. The drink is an imitation of Vin Mariani, a product with which the Corsican / French pharmacist Angelo Marani in Europe caused a furore. If the US government opposes the use of the coca leaf (because here too strong cocaine can be synthesized) he added bracer as caffeine, and is paving the way for the nowadays most popular beverage in the world. The recipe for Coca-Cola has never given officially.
    Pemberton has a lot to answer for @Paulette! India managed to ban the import of Coca-Cola for a while, substituting its own sweeter and much cheaper Thumbs Up version.
  • prateekprateek Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge It seems everybody likes Thumbs up more than Coca-cola in India because of its taste and price is almost same.
    I didn't like it because it's so sweet, but I don't like Coca-Cola much, other than when I feel short of energy and need it to give me a boost. Then I see it like medicine @prateek :smile:
    @prateek
    I've read Mahatma Gandhi's autobiography. According that, I learned his principle of non-violence was not only for the religion, but also a strategy to make the people support his movement. I'm sure he was one of the greatest leader in history.
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't like to drink any such soft drink.Fresh juice is a better alternative to those cold drink though it is quite costly. But If you need energy, there is nothing better than a fresh juice of Sugarcane, Lemon, and mint. Another juice I like is of sweet lemon(Mausabi) with the pinch of salt. It's very healthy and it taste bitter if come in contact of air for long time.
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭✭
    Mahatma Gandhi and Adolf Hitler both are known as a great leader in History but they have their own way to lead. There are many traits that resemble and are common in both them. They both are highly disciplined and dedicated towards their goal.Now, there are tonnes of books written based on their life.