Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Tell us a fact about a happening that occured in the past on today's date.

Comments

• prateekprateek Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    @Paulette @takafromtokyo @Yellowtail

Just one word "Awesome". Yeah, you all are awesome people around the globe and I am lucky to meet you in this wonderful forum.
    @Yellowtail
    Thank you for telling us, it was disaster. I think that accident had initiated by tsunami and earthquake by the way I hope now everything is normal at that place.
    Nuclear physicist use this unit (Bq) all the time .
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,749 mod
    On this day in 1872 (I think!) Yellowstone became the world's first ever national park!
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 11,123 mod
    edited March 2017
    @prateek @takafromtokyo @mohit_singh @Camvel

The first non-stop, round the world flight in 103 hours and 50 minutes.

68 years ago today, Captain James Gallagher made history.

March 2 in 1949: Captain James Gallagher is the world’s first pilot which flew nonstop around-the-world with the “Lucky Lady II”.

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 31,139 mod
    On this day in 1965, the film version of Rodgers and Hammerstein's musical "The Sound of Music" starring Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer in the lead roles has its world premiere in New York.

@prateek @mohit_singh

March 3, 1847 - born Alexander Graham Bell, Scottish founder of the first phone company. Should we now without him walk around with a smartphone?

Too bad he could not talk to Alexander Volta on the operation of the battery @takafromtokyo :D
  • mausermauser Posts: 23 ✭✭
    On March 2, 1962 Jon Bon Jovi was born. You can like him or not but, its your lifeeeee its now or neveer I ain´t gonna live foreverrrr....
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭✭
    @Paulette

I'd like to thank Bell for his work, because of his work, I can interact with you today! (Not just Bell, but everyone who helped his work too)

This sentence was a little bit unclear to me.
    >Should we now without him walk around with a smartphone?
    ⇒Could we have been walking around with a smartphone now if it was without him?

What's an easier and simpler way to phrase this?
    @mheredge @Lynne
    @Paulette @takafromtokyo @mohit_singh

March, 3 is World Wildlife Day.
    It was proposed by Thailand first to celebrate and raise awareness of the world’s wild fauna and flora. So on December 20, 2013 by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) decided to proclaim March 3 as World Wildlife day. ( Source of information is Wikipedia)

2017 theme of celebrating is "Listen to the Young Voices".

Habitat loss, climate change, and poaching are among the most alarming challenges faced by wildlife today. Poaching and trafficking of wildlife are now the most immediate threat to many species, whether charismatic or less known. The fate of the world’s wildlife will soon be in the hands of the next generation. The pressing need for enhanced action to ensure the survival of wildlife in its natural habitats must be imparted from generation to generation, and the youth should have the opportunity to communicate the conservation goals to a wider society. ( source of information is http://www.un.org/en/events/wildlifeday/)
    I couldn't resist this one. On 3 March, 1982 the Queen opened the Barbican Centre in London. This was built covering five-and-a-half acres of Cripplegate, an area near the City of London that was destroyed in the blitz during the Second World War. As I used to work near here, I was always going there to watch movies (every Monday there was a reduced price), and going to art exhibitions, concerts and theatre productions. I was also a member of the library there.
    @takafromtokyo

If Bell not found out the phone compagny then there wouldn't be smartphone's I think!
    @Paulette @takafromtokyo's amendment was almost right:

⇒Could we have been walking around with a smartphone now if it wasn't for him?

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 6,749 mod
    Paulette said:

@prateek @mohit_singh

March 3, 1847 - born Alexander Graham Bell, Scottish founder of the first phone company. Should we now without him walk around with a smartphone?

Too bad he could not talk to Alexander Volta on the operation of the battery @takafromtokyo :D

Oh wow. To think, he made such a huge difference in people's lives. I only wish that he was able to see just how much he changed the world.
    March 4 is the United States Presidential Inaugurations day.

from the 2nd president to 32nd president were inaugurated on 4th march except for 1st, 10th, 13rd, 17th, 21th, 26th, 30th, 33rd presidents. They were inaugurated on January 20.

Can anybody tell the reason for why latter were inaugurated on January 20 instead of March 4.

@Paulette @mohit_singh @takafromtokyo @mheredge
  • jackelliotjackelliot Posts: 827 OTT
    Today is the elections in Northern Ireland
    everyday should be the day for compliments
    @prateek @mohit_singh @takafromtokyo

March 4 in 1678, Italian composer Antonio Vivaldi was born. Who does not know his wonderful "Four seasons "
    The Four Seasons (Le quattro stagioni in Italian) is a set of four violin concertos by Antonio Vivaldi. He completed this work in 1723. The Four Seasons is Vivaldi's best-known work and is among the most popular works of classical music.
    especially by Nigel Kennedy
    @jackelliot

Yes you are right, but Nigel Kennedy played this work in the 20th century and Vivaldi was the first for play it in the 18th century.
    On 4 March 1813 the Russians fighting against Napoleon reached Berlin and the French garrison fled the city without a fight.
    @prateek @mohit_singh @takafromtokyo @jackelliot

March 5, 1946 Winston Churchill gives a speech at Westminster College in Fulton, Missouri. He uses the metaphor "iron curtain" to indicate the division between the West and the (communist) East.

He says:
    “From Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adriatic an “iron curtain” has descended across the Continent. Behind that line lie all the capitals of the ancient states of Central and Eastern Europe. Warsaw, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Belgrade, Bucharest and Sofia; all these famous cities and the populations around them lie in what I must call the Soviet sphere, and all are subject, in one form or another, not only to Soviet influence but to a very high and in some cases increasing measure of control from Moscow.”
    @Paulette @mohit_singh @takafromtokyo @jackelliot @Camvel

March 5, 1904 Nikola Tesla, in Electrical World and Engineer, describes the process of the ball lightning formation.

Ball lightning appears as glowing orbs that seem to occur during thunderstorms, usually following a lightning strike. These floating fireballs shine as brightly as a 100-watt lightbulb; can be white, yellow, orange, red or blue in color and are typically about the size of a small grapefruit, although sightings suggest they can range in size from golf ball to beach ball.
    edited March 2017
    @prateek @mohit_singh @takafromtokyo @pelouche @Michouxe @jackelliot

March 6 1475 Birthday Michelangelo, Italian Renaissance painter, sculptor, architect and poet.

For me is March 6, 1987 a memorable day, the disaster with the Herald or Free Enterpise because friends were involved.
    Shortly after the start of the crossing to England capsized the ferry Herald of Free Enterprise for the coast of Zeebrugge. There drowned193 crew and 360 people are saved by quick action by the Belgian emergency services. Our friends have been saved.
    I was just listening to it on the feedback on radio four

on a radio play on the herald or free enterprise

On 6th March 1987, the Herald of Free Enterprise ferry left its dock on a journey from Belgium to Dover. The ferry capsized within the first half hour of the journey, leading to the loss of 193 lives. Thirty years on, Radio 4 has aired a dramatic re-telling of the story in Herald of Disaster. For many, it was intensely gripping and emotionally captivating. Writer Stephen Phelps explains why he felt the event deserved new exploration, and he discusses his technique of weaving fictional characters around factual accounts.
    @Frank Happy Birthday to luuk . :)
    edited March 2017
    @prateek @takafromtokyo @mohit_singh @jackelliot

On March 7, 1872 Piet Mondrian was born in Amersfoort, The Netherlands. He was a Dutch painter and art theorist, who lived and worked later abroad. Mondrian is generally seen as a pioneer of abstract and non-figurative art.

happy birthday

here is something that happened at sea

http://jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/03/a-woman-at-sea-in-1848.html

and this is what happened in England on this day in 1820

http://jackelliot.over-blog.com/2017/03/inequality-over-an-unequal-taxation.html

@prateek @takafromtokyo @mohit_singh @jackelliot

8 March 2014 - A Boeing 777 of Malaysia Airlines which was en route to Beijing with 239 people on board disappeared from radar 2 hours after departure from Kuala Lumpur International Airport and is probably crashed into the sea. (Malaysia Airlines Flight 370)

On January 17, 2017 Australia, Malaysia and China jointly announced it would be definitively terminated the search for the missing device in the Indian Ocean after almost three years

The disappearance of the plane still remains a mystery.