Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Tell us a fact about a happening that occured in the past on today's date.

PaulettePaulette Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 26 in Quotes
Tell us a fact about a happening that occured in the past on today's date. It may be a global event, something special that happened in your country this day, or a personal remembrance.
  • the birthday or the death of a famous (or loved) person
  • a special event in history
  • a striking disaster
  • an outstanding sport performance etc ...
Example: 1917 February the 23rd (Julian Calendar) March 8, 1917 - The beginning of the Russian Revolution: the disappearance of the tsarist regime and the establishment of the Soviet Union, the first communist state in the world.
Post edited by Lynne on

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,675 mod
    I picked 1970 (random year) and apparently Guyana becomes a republic on 23rd February 1970 and the Holy Eucharist given by women for 1st time in Roman Catholic service.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge

Thanks for the fact now I am a bit more clever about things who have happened.
    edited February 23
    @takafromtokyo @pelouche @PeterRafael @mohit_singh

A special event in the history on 1582 February 24th: Pope Gregory XIII introduced the Gregorian calendar, and it is in almost all countries of the world the official calendar.
    The Gregorian calendar is a modification of the previously used Julian calendar. The adjustment relates to the system of leap years.
    That's a much more significant event @Paulette. As for today 100 years ago, the German plan to get Mexican help in WW I exposed (Zimmerman telegram). I remember learning this fact at school but I wouldn't have remembered it was on the 24th of February though.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,677 mod
    In 1972 my uncle was born on this day. I know that isn't exactly world news or anything like that, but it is certainly a very special date for me and my family.

A small domestic detail: in 1902 February 25th demonstrates Hubert Booth in London the first electric vacuum cleaner. It weighed more than 20kg.
    Wow that's a bit heavy duty @Paulette. You would have needed to be a weightlifter to use a vacuum cleaner that heavy.

Apparently also on 25 February,1838 a Londoner walked 20 miles backwards and then forwards again in 8 hours.

Also on this day in 1963, the Beatles released their first single in the USA (Please, Please Me).
    @mheredge

Thanks for remember me on the Beatles. This was the band in my childhood, and you know my first boyfriend was a look-alike of John Lennon (he was also my favorite singer) I like also the song "He Jude" and "All you need is love". I am a child of the flower power time.
    @takafromtokyo @pelouche @Michouxe

In 1919 February th26 the Grand Canyon was officially designated a national park – President Woodrow Wilson signs an act of Congress the establishing on this day.
  • Luke3135Luke3135 Posts: 6
    It seems that on February 25, 1836 the first revolver was patented by Samuel Colt. :)
    I had to sing Hey Judy in a choir once @Paulette. It's actually very challenging musically, with lots of high notes and changes in tempo. In fact the Beatles music is very technical and not as straightforward as you might think. There's a lot of serious musical talent in their songs.

On 26 February 1815 Napoleon Bonaparte escaped from the Island of Elba and went on to start his second conquest of France.
    @Luke3135
    Thank you for participate in this group. So is everyone who reads this a little wiser.
    @mheredge you must be a very good singer, that is not for me, because my singing talent is very bad. I think I was in the last row when the singing talents were distributed. Believe me if I would sing everyone walks away
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 674 ✭✭✭
    An attempted coup happened in Japan in 1936 today, which is called the February 26 Incident. Some military officers organized the uprising because of their nationalists ideology. They occupied government institutions and assassinated several politicians who they thought decieved the Emperor and exploited his power. They were suppressed by the army after all. Despite that, the influence of the military over the goverment increased after the incident. Japan finally began the war with China the next year.

I learned it in history class in school long years ago. But I had completely forgot what it was, although I knew it happened Feburuary 26, from the name. So I read the Wikipedia page and just summarised it!
    @Yellowtail @takafromtokyo

Thanks for let us share in Japan's history. Through these we are even more aware of the evil that the wars in the world in all countries inflicted.
    On February 27, 1949 the carbon isotope C14 was discovered, known from the carbon dating. The radiocarbon method is suitable for materials up to about 60,000 years old. The technique was discovered by Willard Frank Libby and his colleagues at the University of Chicago. In 1960, Libby was awarded the Nobel Prize in chemistry.
    And believe me 1949 is a very good year for everything.
  • prateekprateek Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    27 February is International Polar Bear day. This day is made to raise awareness about the conservation status of the Polar Bear. There are estimated 22000 to 31000 polar bears are left worldwide. So champs don't mess with them and let them enjoy their party. >:)
    @prateek
    You raised my awareness of polar bear conservation. I heard the global warming is threatening their survival. Floating ice is their fishing boats. And they are losing them and so they are starving now. Poor polar bears!
    I found this an interesting piece of trivia. It seems that while on the 27th February, 1964 the Italian government announced that the Leaning Tower of Pisa was in serious danger of collapse if there was an earthquake or storm, work to actually save the Tower did not start for another 35 years and wasn't completed until the end of 2001.

A more recent significant event for the UK was when on 27 Feb, 2008, Queen Elizabeth II agreed to the end of male preference to determine the line of succession. In future, a monarch's first-born daughter could claim the throne even if a son was born later.
    @mheredge Those trivia are very interesting it enlarges our attention for many things around us and you know it holds your mind lively. Thanks for sharing this facts.
    @mohit_singh @takafromtokyo @mheredge @prateek @Yellowtail

February 28, 1953 - American James Dewey Watson and Englishman Francis Harry Compton Crick discovered the structure of DNA and how this structure works.
    The DNA largely determines how we see and have a major impact on other characteristics such as behavior and intelligence out.
    edited February 27
    @Paulette @mohit_singh @Yellowtail @mheredge @garima @takafromtokyo

28, February is celebrated as National Science Day in India each year to mark up the discovery of the "Raman effect" by Indian physicist "Sir Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman" abbreviated as " Sir C.V. Raman" for which he was awarded the Nobel prize in Physics in 1930.
    Raman effect or Raman scattering is very important to our daily life. As it must be noted that concept of Raman effect is used in Modern lasers, optical communication and also now days using in satellite communication.
    Another important instrument is "Raman Spectroscope" and it is used to analysis spectrum of chemical composition vibration of any matter. That means by this instrument, any matter like medicines, fruits, vegetables can be analyzed without destroying the matter.
    @mheredge
    I suspect if they make the tower straight again, tourists would lose interest in it.
    @prateek @takafromtokyo @mheredge @mohit_singh @Yellowtail

1 March 1810 birth of Frédéric Chopin a Polish composer and virtuoso pianist of the Romantic era who wrote primarily for the solo piano. He is best known for his preludes and also his Marche funèbre ( Funeral March) for piano.

On March 1, 1896 Henri Becquerel discovered the phenomenon of radioactivity. This was an important step in the medical world, the basis of the X ray examination.
    @Paulette @mohit_singh
    Even SI unit for radioactivity is named after him. 'Becquerel (Bq)'. He has got The Nobel prize in 1903 for his work along with 'Madam Marie S. Curie'. Thank you for sharing with us @Paulette
    @Paulette @mohit_singh @NatashaT @Yellowtail @mheredge
    1 March is International "Zero Discrimination Day".
    UN organized this day on 1 march, 2014 first time and promote the day with various activities to everyone has right to live a life with full dignity regardless of age, sexuality, nationality, belief, skin color, education.
    The symbol for 'zero Discrimination day' is 'butterfly'. So friend's whenever you see butterfly again remember of "Zero Discrimination Day" >:)
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    @prateek

"Zero Discrimination Day", thanks for your information!
    Now that we know about the idea, it's time to act on it.
    We call it "World Compliment Day" and the tradition says give at everyone you meet a small compliment.

So @prateek and @takafromtokyo

You guys are great guys, the world is safe with guys like you. I can safely look forwards.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    @Paulette

You are such a nice, wonderful person; I can see it in your comments and how you go around the forum! You're remarkable!
    @Paulette @prateek
    I didn't know the origin of the unit 'Becquerel'. Actually, all Japanese people used to hear the word on the TV news everyday, after the accident of Fukushima nuclear plant in 2011. Even some ordinary people bought a guiger counter and tried measuring the radioactivity of their surroundings or vegetables from the region near to the plant.