Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What are you doing now?

takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭✭
Question:
What are you doing now?
What have you been doing just now?

Let's practice describing what you are doing now or what you've just finished doing.
Or you can write about something you've just seen or heard.

Have fun!

Comments

• HeknerHekner Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Post edited by Lynne on
    "The world was a fantastic, marvelous, awesome place, Rose decided."
  • HeknerHekner Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Misreading I have spent today sitting in the 'Russian' area as I have spent today spelling 'Russian' .

:-O
    "The world was a fantastic, marvelous, awesome place, Rose decided."
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,594 mod
  • BobmendezBobmendez Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    I have found one feature of English I should have known a long time ago. And I am mad about it! Many times I have studied the Continuous Tenses since school and none has told me that there are stative and dynamic verbs. How could they separate this information ???!!!
    That's why I could say 'I am trusting you' or 'I am wanting an apple'. Don't laugh! :p
    Now I know these verbs are stative which are not used in Continuous Tenses

P.S. I started learning English in Soviet Union. Could they hide some tips on purpose to make the Iron curtain stronger? ;)
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    How could I say 'I want an apple' or 'I'd like an apple', if this of mine isn't an habit but just a wanting of this very moment ?
    Be this either a stative or a dynamic verb, to me it doesn't matter, for I' m wanting an apple right now.
    I'm not eager to become an apple-eater, I want to decide whether or not eating an app!e.

If this desire of an apple sprang up while walking, wouldn't it be a dynamic desire, expressed by a dynamic verb ?

I think it isn't so clear, @Bobmendez‌

--------------------------------

How can I say 'I want an apple' or 'I'd like an apple', if it isn't a habit, but just something I want at this very moment?

Whether this is a stative or a dynamic verb, doesn't matter to me, because I want an apple right now. I'm not eager to become an apple-eater, I simply want to decide whether or not to eat an apple.

If this desire for an apple sprang up while walking, wouldn't it be a dynamic desire, expressed by a dynamic verb?

I don't think it's that clear, @Bobmendez‌.
    Post edited by Lynne on
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    edited November 2014
    @filauzio‌ and @Bobmendez‌

I want an apple.
    I would really like an apple now.
    I fancy an apple.

!Note - wanting - lacking in a certain required or necessary quality. So, by logical definition, I am wanting an apple = I am lacking an apple. :D
    edited November 2014
    @filauzio, it is said here that some verbs can be used to show an action or a state, and you can choose what to emphasize, but, in some cases, the difference between an action and a state is not that obvious. I suspect they just made an agreement not to use an action with verbs like 'love, want,...' to escape arguing.
    Sometimes, that agreement is broken:
    McDonalds
    As far as I know, this slogan irritates many English teachers. Am I right, @Lynne?
    What do you think @Bobmendez‌? If you want to sound like a MuckyD advert, please don't let me stop you.
    edited November 2014
    I guess young lady could say 'My baby is wanting something' because there is a lot of action: crying, body wiggling, etc. When an adult wants something in such an animated way, people could think bad things about this person. How could ceremonious British allow this?! :D
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you're right @Bobmendez‌

Well perhaps I've got the point. I could say:

'I fancy an apple' , when I'm thinking of something to eat.

'I'd really like an apple now', when I've nearly got such a decision.

'I want an apple', when, with Prussian's strength of character, I bit into an apple.

Surely Bismarck wouldn't have ever told anyone : ' I'm wanting an apple right now... sorry I meant I'm lacking an apple'.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,695 mod
    I am studying a leaflet.
    I am not studying a laeflet.
    Am I studying a leaflet?
    I am not studying a leaflet.

• deedee Posts: 83 ✭✭
    I am cooking in the kitchen.
    I am not cooking in the kitchen.
    Am I cooking in the kitchen?
  • ivy123ivy123 Posts: 24 ✭✭
    I am trying to earn stars now.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,695 mod
    edited December 2015
    The day before Lynne asked me if I was eating, while our session was running and I told her that is not true*), I was ripping up a voucher which validity had already ended on Dez 2014. I found it that day in a drawer by the computer.

*) I do not always eat during English lessions, just sometimes.;) And I try to do it secretley.
    Post edited by Hermine on
    edited December 2015
    @Hermine - I realise you were completely innocent. Here's your correction:-

A day ago, Lynne asked me if I was eating while our session was running, and I told her it was not true: I was ripping up a voucher that was no longer valid, it had already ended in Dec 2014. I had found it that day in a drawer by the computer.

I do not always eat during our English session, just sometimes. And I try to do it discretely / secretly.
  • jay416jay416 Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    She is baking cake and making cream of cake.
    She isn't baking cake and making cream of cake.
    Is she baking cake and making cream of cake?

----------------------

She is baking a cake and making cream icing for it.
    She isn't baking a cake or making cream icing for it.
    Is she baking a cake and making cream icing for it?

!Note - I'm not sure what you meant by "cream of cake".
    Post edited by Lynne on
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    A good song for practising the present continuous tense.
    (I'll sing this song when I'm going to die and pray God for leading me home safely.)

I am Sailing-Rod Stewart
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭✭
    Right now, I'm in a coffee shop. I have an appoinment with my customer at 15:30, which is about 30 minutes from now. I've started up my laptop, checked out my inbox, and now I have some time to spare.
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭✭
    Again ! a great thread @takafromtokyo

I am watching a video lecture on course of Speaking Effectively.
    @mohit_singh
    Sounds like a great video. What technique do they teach in the lecture?
    I've just finished a meeting with my client, which was the last one for today. Now I'm heading back to Tokyo, but I have to get to Nagoya before I can change trains to the bullet train to Tokyo. The train ride to Nagoya must be about 15 more minutes to go.

@zaiymurs @Paulette @Michouxe @pelouche
    @Yellowtail @filauzio @Yellowtail

I'll drop your names here. I thought you might be interested. Invite others if you'd like to! Let's practice English!

@kindgnice

What's up?
    What are you doing now, buddy?
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @takafromtokyo

What is a bullet train. A bullet do me think to the war, a cannon, a gun, a crime ec.... For me it is a ball that be placed in a weapon.
    @Paulette

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2018.html

The bullet train is a high speed railway that connects major cities in Japan. You need to get a special ticket to ride. It's fast. I'm going to take the bullet train from Nagoya to Shinyokohama and it takes about an hour and 20 minutes. If I have to drive the whole journey, I think it's going to take me about 4 or 5 hours, even if I were quick.

How about moving around in your country? What's the fast way to move around a long distance there?
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,669 mod

@kindgnice

What's up?

What are you doing now, buddy?

Hi pal! I'm currently here in the office doing 2D and 3D drawings and providing those to clients globally. I'm also multi-tasking such as answering calls that vary from irate down to chasing customers and also assisting other colleagues and those junior members below to support their KPIs and metrics, etc. These activities really stress me out but I have no choice. At the end of the day, I still believe that everything will be fine. LOL.

@takafromtokyo