Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Movie discussion - Arrival

aladdinaladdin Radio ProducerLEOnetworkPosts: 1,546 mod
edited February 20 in Films, TV and Theatre

Arrival Movie 8/10

After watching so many movies and TV talked about Aliens. And the question still remains "Why they came? and why they leave?" .
Yesterday, I watched the Arrival it talked about 12 mysterious spacecraft appear around the world. No one know why they came for? Indeed they came to kill us and occupy our plant. First action let's start the war. But why?! Just because we can't communicate with them.
And here is the main idea "How to communicate with someone you are not speak with their language?
"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” ___Bernard Shaw.

The choice. What if you know When you are going to die? Are you become a frustrating and waiting to die alone or you will enjoy with every second do you have to make everyone around you happy as much as you can?. So the right question is How would you live your life?
Arrival is Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi so for drama I my rate was 8/10 not for Sci-fi to be honest I felt boring in the middle of the movie :smile: but I like the the idea they want to deliver to us in this movie and the soundtrack is awesome :D

What do you think? If you watch the movie let's discuss about it here.
Tagged:

Comments

• NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 723 Teacher
    That first video is great, @aladdin . I really want to see this movie now!
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't downloaded this movie yet. Is it the same movie which is also nominated for Oscar?

But this movie is in my download list. I just paused it for other movies in the list. :D
    I have to resume it again.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,000 mod
    I'll have a look at this @aladdin. It's so nice to be back to a world where the internet actually works for a change. Next weekend I will set up dates for when we can resume Skype sessions.

Maybe we should have some sessions to discuss movies. What do you think?
    I couldn't agree more @mheredge .
    I'm going to have to catch up on watching movies @mohit_singh though @aladdin has set the scene with this one, so I want to see if I can download and watch it.
  • aladdinaladdin Radio Producer LEOnetworkPosts: 1,546 mod
    edited February 22
    Yes, @NatashaT the first video they release it to get the point of the movie
    Indeed, @mheredge it will be good idea to discuss about it :D. It always my favorite topic.
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mheredge said:

Next weekend I will set up dates for when we can resume Skype sessions.

Yeah- Welcome back.
    What a great idea! I can't wait. :smiley:

p.s. Do you have any suggestion of the topics for movie?
  • kindgnicekindgnice LEO Motivator!!! Posts: 7,641 mod
    Shiny03 said:

mheredge said:

Next weekend I will set up dates for when we can resume Skype sessions.

Yeah- Welcome back.
    What a great idea! I can't wait. :smiley:

p.s. Do you have any suggestion of the topics for movie?
    Shiny? Oh, yes, it's you! I have a good news for you my friend. :)
    Welcome back! @Shiny03
    @Shiny03 I haven't watched it yet but I have the movie Snowden on my to see list. I'm thinking this might be quite a topical subject to talk about at the moment. What do you think? Or do have a favourite movie you'd like to discuss? I can't seem to find a version of Arrival to download. I might see if it' s on at the cinema in Nice when I get back though. It's showing here in Milan.
    Good news? Oh my god, you passed the application? Congratulations to you! Yeehaw!
    @mheredge Good idea. I'm interested in it too. :smiley:
    Actually, I downloaded this movie before. I think you can find it in Pirate Bay.
    Frankly speaking, this(Arrival) movie doesn't interest me to suggest it to someone else.Though I manage to watch it till the end.

I liked Allied, Hackshaw ridge, La La land, Blood Diamond(2006).
    I am waiting to get a free download of movie Lion.

@aladdin @mheredge @Shiny03 @kindgnice

Frankly speaking, this(Arrival) movie doesn't interest me to suggest it to someone else.Though I manage to watch it till the end.

I liked Allied, Hackshaw ridge, La La land, Blood Diamond(2006).
    I am waiting to get a free download of movie Lion.

@aladdin @mheredge @Shiny03 @kindgnice

How about this movie buddies? :) I enjoyed watching this:

Shiny03 said:

Good news? Oh my god, you passed the application? Congratulations to you! Yeehaw!

Yes Shiny, I have passed the university screening. However, I'm still waiting for the last stage of the application process. The last stage would be the Japanese Government, if they'll pick me as one of their scholars or not. Fingers crossed. :)

P.S. If they'll pick me as one of their scholars, I'd be glad to meet you and Taka in Japan. :)
    And maybe we can watch movies? Hehe. @Shiny03 @takafromtokyo
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    @kindgnice
    Sounds great! I'd love to!!
    Finger and toes crossed for you @kindgnice.

Fantastic Beasts looks interesting - is it about Harry Potter later in life?
    mheredge said:

Finger and toes crossed for you @kindgnice.

Fantastic Beasts looks interesting - is it about Harry Potter later in life?

Thanks Marianne for the prayers. :)
    Yes my friend, sort of, it's kind of spin-off or an imitation/derivation from the original Harry Potter series. It's also interesting to notice that they are also using the word "Muggle" in the movie. :smiley: @mheredge
    I'll try and see this movie @kindgnice. I liked the Harry Potter films and I particularly like J K Rowling's books @kindgnice.
    Ahh! I got a new movie suggestion! Thank you very much, My friend! @kindgnice

I will certainly look out for this movie.
    mheredge wrote: »
    I'll try and see this movie @kindgnice. I liked the Harry Potter films and I particularly like J K Rowling's books @kindgnice.
    Ahh! I got a new movie suggestion! Thank you very much, My friend! @kindgnice

I will certainly look out for this movie.

Sure my friends. My pleasure. @mheredge @mohit_singh
    I think I need to reinstall my iTorrent search engine, only everything I try to download now seems to result in an error message.
    Arrival - Movie Review
    Arrival (2016) - "Kangaroo"

aladdin wrote: »
    Arrival (2016) - "Kangaroo"

That is an artificialy created story about kangaroo! :D Only jest scene in this movie.
    BTW, I love her acting in the movie.
    edited March 9
    Success on the downloading problem, that's to say I've found a couple of alternatives that seem to work for the more popular movies.

I have downloaded Arrival, so will try to watch it tonight @aladdin.

Last night I watched I, Daniel Blake which is a British movie that I've wanted to see since it got good reviews at the Cannes Film Festival last year. It's a heart rending social story about life in Britain. The hero, Daniel Blake gets caught in a Catch 22 situation when he is deemed unfit for for work by his doctors, yet Social Security pass him as well enough to looking for work.
    Post edited by mheredge on
  • NippurNippur Posts: 86 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone! Frankly I was expecting much more from "Arrival" not because the theme itself, but for its director. I watched his three previous movies "Incendies" (2010), "Prisoners" (2013) and "Sicario" (2015) and I really enjoyed them all. Daniel Villeneuve is a great director, but here, with a huge budget , good casting , and all the freedom in the World, I think he hit and missed! I mean it´s not a horrible " I want to slit my veins with a sheet of paper" kind of movie, but I didn´t fully like it. Good shots here and there , specially the parts when Amy Adams was having those "flashbacks" or "flashforwards" , for a moment I thought I was watching a Terrence Malick film (I wish I had actually!). I agree in part with @aladdin that some ideas and notions the movie tried to develop were interesting, but still I feel it didn´t deliver. Maybe is just one of those films that need some time for you to grow fond of with. I am sure I will catch it on Cable tv in a couple of years, and perhaps I could find it better. Who knows?
    I haven't seen any of Villeneuve's other films so I have nothing to compare. Were they science fiction movies too @Nippur?
  • NippurNippur Posts: 86 ✭✭✭
    Hi @mheredge ! No , they were not sci-fi movies. "Incendies" tells the story about a Canadain-Lebanese woman who dies in Canada and in her will she leaves two letters to her twin son and daughter. They must travel to Lebanon to unravel the mysterious past of their deceased mother and by doing so, fulfilling her last wishes. It´s a great powerful movie, shocking in many of its parts, but really honest. Even people who might not be interested in history or knowing more about Middle East conflicts or specifically Lebannon civil war, might find that this movie has amazing scenes and the plot will make you keep watching it until the end.
    "Prisoners" (2013) with Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal among other great actors, is a thriller-drama. Two little girls dissapear, they go missing. Jackman´s character is the father of one of those girls and, at the same time police is investigating, he cannot stay idle and decides to take matters into his own hands. Gyllenhaal is the leading police investigator and the movie moves around the idea regarding how far would you be able to go to protect your family , to seek justice , to do what you think it´s right even if it may not be legal. Great actings and again the pace and how they keep the tension high are worth mentioning.
    The last movie "Sicario" is a drama. The storyline is about the on going war at Mexico -U.S border against drug Cartels and the US and Mexican Law Enforment Agencies. After the killing of several FBI agents by one of the Cartels, the FBI sends a sort of idealist female agent to erradicate those criminals. She will have to interact with other agencies members and soon she will realize that nothing is black and white, and that the line of right and wrong , moral and the law are not always as she always thought. It´s not nothing as a typical yankee film about sending the Army , a group of Special Forces team anywhere in the World to go and kill the bad guys. Here you won´t know who is who sometimes, and nothing is already "chewed" for you. It is an intelligent movie, again keeping the tension high and it forces you to think and to question yourself about your own nature. At least it did for me.
    I really enjoyed those 3 movies, and I couldn´t find that special ingredient to make "Arrival" special. But again, it´s just a personal point of view, and as most things in this life, subjective. I hope you and the rest of the forum can find my comments about this movies useful. Thank you all.
    I think I've seen Prisoner now that you mention it @Nippur. Incendies sounds very interesting and I will try to download it to watch. Thanks for the recommendation.
  • Vijayshah9407Vijayshah9407 Posts: 2
    Hi Everyone,

I Watched Personal Shopper
    This one is ethereal and mysterious ghost story stars Kristen Stewart as a high-fashion personal shopper to the stars who is also a spiritual medium. Grieving the recent death of her twin brother, she haunts his Paris home, determined to make contact with him.