Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What do you think of the village, town or city where you live?

PaulettePaulette Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
Do you live in a village, in a town or in a city?
How do you like that place?
Can you tell us something about it?
------------------------------------------------------

I live in a rural city called Roeselare which is situated in the north of Belgium. It is a pleasant town to live in. A special place of interest is the well-known brewery where "Rodenbach" beer is brewed. "Rodenbach" is a dark brown beer with a spicy flavour. The old brewery can be visited by the public. Except for the brewery you can visit a Renaissance castle in Roeselare that played a major role during the two World War 1940-1945. Roeselare is also famous because of the very famous writer and poet Guido Gezelle that once lived there. Guido Gezelle was a romanticus.

Although there is generally not too much amusement in Roeselare, the town is a nice place to visit. It's especially a calm place to be, where you can find peace and quiet. However, two or three times the town organises an an event for all the residents of the city. On this event there are many activities you can enjoy, like many actions, appearances, music, folklore etc. I love to live there and to be there with many many friends.

What about you?
Post edited by Frank on

Comments

• ClaraRClaraR Posts: 5
    I was born in a town called Penha, in South of Brazil. There is around 30 thousand people living in there. We live by the sea, so there are fisherman villages around the town. It’s a beautifull place to live and quite peaceful. There is a great amusement park called Beto Carrero World where I work in, but the most of tourists stay in a city called Balneário Camboriu, about 30 minutes by car. During the Summer we receive a lot of tourists to enjoy ours beaches, but in the Winter just the people that go to the amusement park. I love Penha.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ClaraR
    When I read the description of the place where you live, I feel the effect of the sea, the sun and also a bit of enjoyment. But Brazil is so far away from Europe so I can't enjoy this place today. B)
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,145 mod
    @Paulette, much as I love the countryside, I have lived almost always in cities. I was born in suburbia. I'm not sure it can really be called a town any more, as London has sprawled out and it's all pretty well built up apart from small pockets of a forest which I suppose gives the place a bit of character.

I lived for some time in a small town outside London which I loved and only moved into 'The Smoke' (as London is nicknamed) because I eventually couldn't stand the long commute to work. I have lived in Manchester, in central London, for a few months in Paris, in Kathmandu and now in Nice, which I suppose is a city because of it's size, but feels a bit more like a large town from where I'm sitting. For a short time I lived in a village in Derbyshire, but this was not for very long as I moved to Chesterfield to share a house with a colleague. Chesterfield is classed as a city, but only by virtue that it has a cathedral as it is not all that large.
    @mheredge
    You lived about like here and there. I think you will become a globetrotter. How is Nice at the moment? I was there a few time in the holidays.
  • wangfeiwangfei Posts: 29 ✭✭
    good
    I didn't get a chance to see much of Nice before I was packing my bag to go to Milan but it was nice and sunny when I arrived @Paulette.
    edited February 23
    @mheredge
    You're really a globetrotter, without any problem from Nice to Milan. I never visited Milan but I put it on my wish list. Have a nice trip or is it a long-term stay.
    Post edited by Paulette on
  • mshouqamshouqa Posts: 12 ✭✭
    they are beautiful
    @Paulette it's just a fleeting visit to meet up with a couple of friends who are on holiday in Italy. But since Italy is only a stone's throw away from Nice, I hope to take full advantage of its proximity in the months to come.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,917 mod
    I live in a village, and it's nice. It has a few shops, schools, and nice places to go for walks. It is within around ten minutes drive from the local town, which is good. I didn't like living here before I learned to drive, but now that I have the freedom to go to other places, I don't mind it so much.
    I find living in a city with no car, I walk much more. When I lived in Hertford, a small town away from the shops and even the station, which was a bit of a way away, I used to drive much more and didn't walk nearly as much as when I lived in London or here in Nice.
    @mheredge I live on the edge of a very small town in Flanders (Belgium) and usually I take the bike to ride to the city center, this is much easier than finding a parking space for the car. And in doing so you have also exercise which is also good for health. If I bike to the city center I have no stress, and I move.
  • CamvelCamvel Posts: 65 ✭✭
    I live in a small town (very small). I am lucky because just in front of my house, there are several fields with cows few months in the year where I was running when I was little. In spite of his size, there are a lot of small shops very friendly with local products. There is also a media library and a school for childreen. Furthermore, the town is not far away of a big city.
    Cycling is a good way to get about but not all cities are bike friendly @Paulette. I soon gave up in Kathmandu as I valued my life too highly. London too, though there are cycle lanes, I one time had a nasty scare so gave up with two wheels, preferring to go on foot instead.
    You can not mirror our city to London @mheredge . Our city isn't very big nor busy and there are everywhere special markings for bikers. And since a short time we have special cycle routes. These routes are a loop between several places, I like it very well.
  • maxpeignemaxpeigne Posts: 16 ✭✭
    I live near Dunkerque (in the north of France).
    Currently is the "carnaval de Dunkerque", 3 months of celebration in all the towns arround Dunkerque. Each week end, we began at the end of the morning by meet the other people and had a drink with us. The afternoon, everybody did "la bande"; we were disguised and crosses the city singing. Finally, the night is "le ball" where we singing (again) and dancing untill the morning.
    This tradition came from the sailors. They did a big party before going to sea, and as they no longer had clothes (all their clothes was in their suits), they weared the clothes of their wife. It's why generally, men disguise themselves as woman.
    It's a very tiring period, but it's very funny, and it's a part of the local culture!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 4,917 mod
    mheredge said:

I find living in a city with no car, I walk much more. When I lived in Hertford, a small town away from the shops and even the station, which was a bit of a way away, I used to drive much more and didn't walk nearly as much as when I lived in London or here in Nice.

I think it's good when everything is in walking distance, as it helps to keep us fit and healthy! I wouldn't dream of driving anywhere if I lived in a city.
  • ximenesximenes Posts: 6
    Hi, I live in Campinas/SP Brazil.

The city is near at Sao Paulo, the biggest city of Brazil.

I live in Campinas because my work, but I lived in Florianopolis/SC for 18 years. Florianopolis is amazing. It's a island and there are 42 beaches!

Campinas is good city, good Pub, good food, good people, big companies of IT, near at Sao Paulo, that's it.

Regards
  • prateekprateek Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    I live in a city called Kanpur which is situated in the north India. I have lived in many cities in India but then also my heart is clung to this place. Although there is not much tourist place to visit but got river Ganga and some of the wonderful parks to chill out.
    The city has got approximately 5 million people which is alone greater than the population of Newzealand, Ireland, Lithuania and Latvia combined but then also got many friendly, loving people to help anyone if in need.
    Kanpur is an industrial city with major manufacturing products include engineering products, textiles, leather, automobiles, wagons.
    One of the finest leatherwork in cheap rate can be found here. Even when an International cricket match is organized here in green park lot of the foreign players as well as tourist buy some stuff made of leather from here like wallet, shoes, jackets, belts and much more.
    Traffic is bit of problem, nearly nobody follows traffic rules but then also the rate of accidents are less than other cities.
    I love the roadside food here which is very tasty and can not be found anywhere else.
    @prateek
    Kanpur is according Belgium standards a big city. In Belgium live almost 11,3 million citizens and the biggest city, Brussels has only a population of 1,138.854.
  • erik_unicerik_unic Posts: 6
    I live in NYC. When you think in NYC you think in buildings, people, cars, museums, bars, trains and foreigners and that is exactly what it is. I really like the city. Despite it has its own problems, there are a few places difference cultures can coexist in harmony.
    @Paulette
    Yup, it is big city and day by day its getting huge. Recently many construction projects are going on here to make software hub. So population is also expanding as many people are coming from other places to work and live.
    Kanpur is 12th largest city in India and area wise it is 404 SquareKm (it's expanding more) while Brussels is 33 SquareKm. ( I hope I am right, please let me know if I am wrong).
    @prateek

You are right: the centre is about 33 square Km, but we speak about the district Brussels and this is the city centre and his districts or area's and this covers 161 square Km. And there is the population 1,138 854.
    @prateek how about that, Kanpur is called 'Manchester of the East' (wiki).

Nice is one of France's larger cities, but it still seems quite small compared with most cities I've lived in. Though it is the 5th most populous city in France, there are only about 350,000 living on 71.92 km2. Nice is surprisingly hilly as soon as you go inland, and sprawls up a number of valleys that head into the Alpes Maritimes. However, the 'urban area' of Nice that extends beyond the administrative city limits has a population of about 1 million living on an area of 721 km2.

To compare, the population of Paris (city) is only about 2.2 million, though when you count the urban area, it is more like 10.6 million. London by contrast has a population of over 8.7 million or 9.8 million when you count the urban area and covers a much greater area. The urban area is defined by the suburbs though it can be difficult to work out where they start or finish in most places.
    @mheredge
    I would love to visit France and thank you for giving me the idea of Nice. :smile:
    It is written all over the Wikipedia and various place on the internet that " Kanpur is the Manchester of the east" and it has got history like this earlier in 19th century Manchester grew to become the center of Lancashire's cotton industry and was dubbed "Cottonopolis".
    In India, the first textile industry was founded in Mumbai(1854). Later this spread to Ahmedabad and Kanpur, (founded in 1861 and 1862 respectively). That is why Kanpur is tagged as "Manchester of East" but know as time has passed so much now and the textile industry is not flourishing and hence has lost its claim to the name. Everything needs to pace with time but somehow Kanpur modernization rate is less as compared to other big cities.
    So, on the internet, you will find Kanpur as Manchester of east or India but in reality, it is not true.
    Now, automobiles and software sectors are taking place of textiles industries. Even the large impact has got over the leather industry because of the national mission for clean Ganga.
    It can be said " Kanpur was Manchester of the East". :D
    Thanks @prateek. Manchester no longer produces textiles either. In fact the legacy of it's mills are almost all gone now. I studied in Manchester but even since then there has been a lot of change. In Yorkshire there seems to have been more effort to preserve some of the old mills where much of Britain's Industrial Revolution took place. But I remember in the 1980s when most of the big old factories in Huddersfield were being demolished.
    You are most welcome @mheredge. In Kanpur also all old mills are closed down. Every time whenever new political leader arrives here they give their big statements to start the mills with new machinery but they don't do anything afterward. After all, everything has end, so it was the era of mills but nowadays it's vanishing everywhere.
    I think all the mills and garment making business has gone to Bangladesh @prateek. Till they find somewhere cheaper to produce textiles and clothes.
  • Shishio13Shishio13 Posts: 94 ✭✭
    edited March 7
    I live in Bogota's ouskirts... the city is messy, crowded and caotic. I spend almost two hours from home to my job :(
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    But you like living there, don't you? What's great about living in Bogota @Shishio13?
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.