Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

East is best

takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
Let's review our conversations on Skype, east is best.
Were you able to express what you had in mind freely without changing what you really wanted to say?
What words or phrases did you stumbled upon or couldn't come up with?

Here's our chance to talk about it or to figure out the right words and try practicing them through making example sentences.
Of course, we can just simply enjoy discussions of any topic here!

The thread is basically open to anybody.
Enjoy!

Comments

• takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    An invitation to the thread

I've created a thread where people who love the Skype group East is Best or those who simply like to enjoy discussions on any topics can come and write something in.

@mohit_singh @zaiymurs @mdshamsad @nidhii
    @abhishekb9099 @kratika @mheredge @Yellowtail
    @Shiny03
    ( I tried to start writing a comment, but I can't figure out how to get my smartphone switch back to smartphone view mode, it's still howing the PC mode and it's practically impossible to write comments from my smartphone. Now, I'm on my laptop, so I can start adding comments, but I'm not always so lucky, which means I need to fix it quick. )

Well anyway, let's start with our study here!

One word that I learned last night was "man-wheel".
    Well, today, I searched for the word on the web and in the dictionary, but they didn't have the word. Instead, I learned "rickshaw" could refer to the vehicle we had in our minds. "Rickshaw" comes from the Japanese word "jinrikisha 人力車" , and now it seems commonly used to refer to those small vehicles that carry one or two passengers and it's pulled by a guy.

Asakusa Rickshaw is one of the favorite sightseeing rieds in Tokyo.

@mohit_singh @zaiymurs @mheredge
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭
    OMG! this man rickshaw have a seat belt. :D :D

I love this! Have you taken any ride on Rickshaw guys?
    Thanks, @takafromtokyo for starting this thread! I appreciate your dedication towards East and west Group. Will you join us today?
    @mohit_singh
    That is my plan!
    So far, it's going as I planned out, but I'll have to see till the last moment.
    The rest of my family are still quite active tonight, they're playing video games in the living room, and I might not have a place to speak on Skype.
    @mohit_singh
    By the way. I still haven't figured out how to change the view mode back to smartphone mode.
  • ZomZom Shadok Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19
    @takafromtokyo

Re your issue about the desktop view mode, on my tablet to switch from the desktop to the mobile view mode, I have to click on the hamburger icon (3 dots on top of one another) at the top right of my screen, near the forum http address. Then I see different options and one of them is a check box with the title "request desktop site". When it's ticked I have the computer view, when it's not ticked I have the mobile view mode. If you're lucky it'll work the same on your phone.
    It befits a man to be merry and glad
    Until the day of his death.
  • zaiymurszaiymurs Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    I'm just coming here after you told me about this, i might be add another point here tomorrow. :#
    @zaiymurs
    Thanks for checking it out!
    It was a pleasure talking to you!

I still can't figure out how to get my smartphone to smartphone view mode.
    @Zom
    Thanks for trying to help me out!

@zaiymurs
    Thanks for checking it out!
    It was a pleasure talking to you!

I still can't figure out how to get my smartphone to smartphone view mode.
    @Zom
    Thanks for trying to help me out!

I can't do anything other than laughing on the rigmarole of PC mode.
    :D :D
    @mohit_singh
    Okay, you're laughing, mohit!
    Haha, just to make sure, since the characters on my smartphone is displayed so small.
    BTW, I just wanted to tell you that we have discussed few more question from the link

http://www.englisch-hilfen.de/en/words/topics_speaking.htm

We are done with questions like...
    ..................................................................................
    What would you show a guest in your hometown?
    Tell something about the history of your hometown.
    How can young people spend their free time in your hometown?
    ..................................................................................
    What are your plans for the future?
    Where do you want to live?
    In what kind of job do you see yourself in the following years?
    What do you think about a family later?
    What will be the most important things for you in the future?
    ...................................................................................
    What are your favourite free time activities?
    What kind of sports do you like?
    ----------------------------------------------
    If you find it interesting and intriguing.You all can also join us in this discussion here or in Skype.
    We are open to all. :D
    Actually not for all but for English learner only.

What you think @takafromtokyo. We should be open to all or for few people only.

See you guys tonight!

edited February 20
    I love this link of the Temple KIYOMIZU DERA. Especially, The chantings and view.
    I think You Guys would also like to visit.

http://www.kiyomizudera.or.jp/en/

@mheredge @takafromtokyo
    Sometimes i had a difficulties to expressing out what was in my mind during our conversation, one of the words that i was forgot to pointed out is "Tourism and tourist, attraction and there's some other words.

Now i know what is the difference between Rickshaw and Trishaw.
    i think this guy who pulled the rickshaw not willing to take the hilly roads, is this guy still pull his rickshaw on summer @takafromtokyo
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,145 mod
    There are even rickshaws in Nice @mohit_singh. They fancy themselves as pedicabs or cyclos, but they are just fancy rickshaws. Though they normally run on pedal power, I think when the going gets tough, they have a back-up electric battery.

The can be a bit pricey (4-5€ per kilometre) and I think only tourists ever use them.

http://www.bestofniceblog.com/transport-in-nice/pedicab-bike-taxis-cyclos/

And I think you know about the risk of Indian and Nepali Rickshaws. Have you ever tried a man-pulled rickshaw in Kolkata or anywhere else?. @mheredge.
    I discovered rickshaws nowadays come with an electric motor to help the guy pedal the thing. Rickshaws in Asakusa still rely only on man power. If you were to ride in this thing, which would you prefer? The pedaled one or man-powered one?

@mohit_singh @zaiymurs @mheredge @nidhii
    @abhishekb9099 @Yellowtail
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 698 ✭✭✭
    @takafromtokyo
    I think they will make robot rickshaw pullers in the future. Combination of tradition and high-tech is something Japanese are likely to do.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,145 mod

And I think you know about the risk of Indian and Nepali Rickshaws. Have you ever tried a man-pulled rickshaw in Kolkata or anywhere else?. @mheredge.

I've ridden a few rickshaws, mainly in Siliguri @mohit_singh. They seemed okay but I suppose the roads there are not as congested as in some places.

I have had some hair raising rides in auto-rickshaws though, especially in the early hours of the morning when I had to transfer stations in Delhi. I think my driver thought he was a speedway driver and we must have gone around all the corners on two wheels he was going so fast.
    edited February 21
    So, you are talking about green three wheeler auto rickshaw. But I am asking about man- pulled rickshaws or paddle rickshaws. :D :D
    @mheredge

Don't you think it does not have any safety equipment like seat belt or so.
    @mohit_singh

To be honest, I've learned for the first time when I watched the YouTube video that I posted above that the rickshaws in Asakusa had seat belts. Come to think of it, it'll be quite scary without seat belts, so I think it's a great idea.
    edited February 22
    @takafromtokyo

But in India, you will not find any seat belt in any kind of public transport. I know that the rickshaw that we show is just for tourist and it seems quite costly in Asakusa. But it is cheaper in India.

let me show you some ground zero picture of rickshaw from India. But don't complain about the safety, please

@mohit_singh

He definitely needs an electric motor that can assist his pedaling! Do you think he has one?
    I'm still on my way home now.
    I don't think I can make it tonight to talk with you guys on Skype. I've already gotten too tired...
    That's not a problem @takafromtokyo ! But we will miss you. ;)
    Take rest !
  • YasarAliYasarAli Posts: 1
    Give a try to this site to download a dict. https://english-to-urdudictionarydownload.blogspot.com/
    @mohit_singh @nidhii

My daughter likes to play Just Dance on Nintendo Wii, and there's this song from India that's really catchy. The song sticks to our ears and we can't get it off.

What does "Katti Kalandal" mean?
    This is not hondi. This is telgu.I don't know Telugu @takafromtokyo and I am sure @nidhii is also not aware of it. But I can find you the meaning from internet.This song is not from Bollywood as well. Katti kalandal means to hug Some or hold someone passionately.
This discussion has been closed.