Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Phrasal Verb Challenge #11 - Log in/Log out

DoraDora Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
Hello everyone,

This is a PVC (Phrasal Verb Challenge) after a very long time. Sorry for the long delay and I hope to see many responses! :smiley:

Log in (to) — Used with computers, this phrase means to sign into your account on a website or computer.
Log out/off — Also used with computers, this phrase means to sign out of your account.

Comments

• raseelrose2raseelrose2 Posts: 12 ✭✭
    hi Dora. look ' a word' up: to search the meaning in a dictionary. look after: take care.e.g. My mum looks after my children during my work hours.
  • DoraDora Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @raseelrose2,

This is a kind of word challenge. You've to make sentences or a passage using the phrasal verbs given above.

Happy doing!
    For instance,

I guess, I've logged in to the wrong site, so I should better log off.
  • raseelrose2raseelrose2 Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Sorry Dora for misunderstanding.
    Yesterday I signed up for kitely, but when I came to log in using my details, i recieved a message declaring that account is not available, although I recieved a confirmation email. When I closed the webpage, howeve, I realised I had enterd the wrong password.

I am happy to be corrected
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭
    @Dora
    This is fantastic! Phrasal verbs are something we must conquer if we want to sound natural! I think we can all benefit from and have fun practicing them here!

@zaiymurs @mohit_singh @Paulette @pelouche
    @Michouxe @Thijn @Frank @mou @mikkilinn @Zom @nidhii

Anyone who wants to improve your English!
    "log in"

(1) I think I can log in tonight at around 10:00 p.m. Tokyo time.
    (2) Just when I thought I had logged in LEN, the battery went dead.. Now I have to find a power outlet.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,405 mod
    Do we sign in to Windows 10 or do we log in?
    Do you use a password to log in or a pin code?
    (1) So, is there any difference in saying "to log in" and "to sign in"?

(2) I wanted to log in Skype, but the password had completely slipped out of my mind. I was typing in bunch of passwords and all of them just got rejected.
    @mheredge
    So, I guess "log in" is basically used for computers, right?
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,148 mod
    edited February 14
    Yes that's right @takafromtokyo. I can't think of logging in or out of anything other than computers and computer systems. I check in or out of a hotel and I check in for a flight. I might sign in to a computer system or application, but I can also sign in to visit someone in a secure office or to go into a place that is in some way restricted.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dora @takafromtokyo
    Can the following sentence be used ?

I got up early this morning, did quickly my household work, to log in even faster on my computer.
    @Paulette
    I think as long as you're logging in your computer it's okay to use. I'm not so sure if you need to say "log in ON your computer" or not.
  • moumou Posts: 37 ✭✭
    I am always thrilled while loging in my account to this forum
    Log out:
    I always take care not forgetting to log out my account as it may disclose my information
    Hello everybody
    Wish You A Very Happy Valentine's Day
    Paulette wrote:
    @Dora @takafromtokyo
    Can the following sentence be used ?

I got up early this morning, did quickly my household work, to log in even faster on my computer.

I quickly did my household work earlier this morning so that I could log in to my computer.
    Be careful with passwords when logging in a public computer.
    "log in"

(1) When I log in this forum, one thing I like to do is to check out mr friends' walls to see how they're doing. But I always forget to check out mine.

(2) When was the last time you logged in LEN? How often do you log in?
    I never can work out how the log in process works here as sometimes I'm already logged in when I access LEO, but other times I'm logged out. I never log out because I don't use any computer that other people can access. Sometimes LEO logs me out in the middle of when I'm writing something which can be a pain.
    Every time I log in the LE forum hoping to see @filauzio, @Just-Learn and @peaceculture2 's responses, but soon I'd to log out, disappointed. :(
    Maybe you are looking in the wrong places @Dora. What I don't understand is how sometimes the Forum logs me out while I'm in the middle of something. But this could be because I never log out.
  • peaceculture2peaceculture2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dora said:

Every time I log in the LE forum hoping to see @filauzio, @Just-Learn and @peaceculture2 's responses, but soon I'd to log out, disappointed. :(

As long as I see this message it means, I succeeded to log in, before I log out I would like to invite you to genius thread @Dora
    Example sentences
    (1) When was the last time you logged in Skype?
    (2) Have you had any troubles logging in and out of the forum?
  • filauziofilauzio Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I set up my alarm-clock to get awoken at the right time for joining the skype session, so that I could log in to my account, and the whole matter was going to be as easy as falling off of a log.
    Unfortunately, I hadn't neither to log in nor to log out after session, because I missed the alarm and kept sleeping like a log... a loudly snoring kind of ...

I hope @Dora won't be disappointed for my neglect any longer... please put on your wonderful smile again :) ;)
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
    Example sentence
    (1) Thanks to @Yellowtail and all the support from other fellow members, every time I log in the forum, I can see it in a nice smartphone view mode.
    @takafromtokyo @Dora

Every morning when I log in the forum I guess who was first up today?
    @Paulette

>Every morning when I log in the forum I guess who was first up today?

This sentence sounds a little bit unclear to me. Here's my suggestion.

Either...
    (1) Every morning when I log in the forum, guess who is up first?

Or
    (2) When I logged in the forum this morning, guess who was up first?

(1) is asking about what happens every morning, whereas (2) is asking about what happened this morning.

@mheredge @Dora
    What do you think about my suggestion?
    @takafromtokyo I agree with your sentence:

1) Every morning when I log in the forum, guess who is up first?

That is what I mean. Thanks for the suggestion!
    I didn't sleep like a log last night @filauzio as when I arrived at the hotel in Milan I was told that my reservation had been cancelled due to an invalid card. Since I'd booked the room three weeks ago, I was a bit surprised to see two emails to this effect had been sent a few hours before while I was travelling to Milan and had no internet. The girl said the place was full and I would need to find another hotel. I managed to persuade her that 10pm this would be extremely difficult especially given how hard it had been three weeks earlier to find anything reasonable in central Milan on the dates I wanted. The long and the short of it was she found a spare camp bed to put in the corner of a dorm full of guys who were snoring their heads off. Tonight I'm in another room and so far there's no snoring (I'm sharing just with one lady).
This discussion has been closed.