Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What does your office or workplace reveal about yourself?

FrankFrank ModeratorPosts: 6,080 mod

One of the most revealing things about a person is their workspace. Not only can a person’s office or desk reveal how they like to work, it can shed light on deep-seated psychological and personality traits. For many of us, other than the room where we sleep, our office is the place where we log more hours than anywhere else, so it can be very revealing. Colin Ellard an environmental psychologist and professor of cognitive neuroscience at the University of Waterloo has analysed the desk of Donald Trump.

You can read about it here.
https://www.fastcompany.com/3067441/what-trumps-messy-office-reveals-about-his-leadership-style

And here:
http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/21/style-decor-office-forbeslife-cx_nr_0222officestyle.html

And those who understand Dutch can also read the article I've written about this topic earlier:
http://www.bodycom.nl/manager/bureau.html

The questions for this discussion:
  • What does your office, desk or workplace look like?
  • Do you mind to work in a messy environment or do you want it to be tidied before you begin working?
  • Do you have personal belongings such as photo's in your working environment?
  • Everything that comes to your mind relating to this topic.

Comments

• [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited February 9
    Unorderly stacks of papers and books with needed 'desk' items like pens and stapler hiding somewhere in the mess. Mess doesn't bother me as long as I can find what I need quickly. I normally know which wobbly stack of books the one I need is in and a quick shifting of paper can often bring what I need to light. My painting area is as orderly as it needs to be in order to avoid disaster. Trump's office is messy??? Looks fairly well organized to me in comparison to my own! That's my environment AFTER I've tidied up!

I must admit, I have an strong aversion to people who put photos of their family in very prominent places on their desk at work or hang them in the 'public' rooms of their house, such as the living room or kitchen. Those corkboards some people plaster with photos of family and friends I also find disturbing. I'm not quite sure what they are trying to show off or prove. That they are loved? Needed? Popular? Responsible? Have great lives?

It seems like some form of advertising and I wonder what they are selling!
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Frank
    My work environment is where I live and where my friends are. Sometime it is a little messy, certainly if we come together. I like a little messy that makes it pleasant. I keep it cleanly because I don't like illness.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,171 mod
    My work environment varies enormously depending on what I'm doing. Often it is just where I happen to be. Sometimes it is in other people's offices. Other times it is my dining room table.
  • My workspace is simple and cleaner just a monitor, some draft papers, a pencil, a cup for water and other cup for coffee. Sometimes when I'm very concentrated and doing things faster than normal I usually leave thing messy
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,767 mod
    I cannot work on a messy desk, at all, or I find myself distracted and trying to tidy things up a little bit. So I always have to make sure that everything is perfectly in order before I do anything.
  • mpassalampassala Posts: 124 Inactive
    My desk is like my second house, when i'm at work i have to get all items handy. I have a tons of papers on it and lots of pens, with all my notes. I also often have some hardware parts that i use for testing. I try to leave my desk clean, but i can't keep it tidy.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Frank @Lynne @takafromtokyo @Larry_the_Zebra

My time on a desk is long ago and in fact I had to spend my time between my office and my students or my office and my patients. What I do remember from much earlier times, was that noise-making device on my desk (I'm retired): the phone (cell phones not yet exist). Either the bell of this phone was annoying for my concentrated work at the desk or I had to run to be timely back at my desk in order to pick up the phone.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,405 mod
    edited February 11
    Desk? Which desk? I take and put my stuff everywhere! :o
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 6,080 mod
    I've analyzed the workplace of the Dutch political party leaders for RTL News.
    For who can read Dutch and for who is curious to look at the pictures:

http://www.rtlnieuws.nl/nederland/politiek/gluren-in-de-werkkamers-van-lijsttrekkers-drank-knuffels-en-een-kinderfietsje
    I'm probably like you @april. When my desk is my dining room table, I'm afraid after a while it tends to get cluttered, much as I would love to have a clear desk. But this is wishful thinking, as I know if I had a desk dedicated to work, it would still end up looking a but messy.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge @april
    Even if your desk gets messy, would you care about it? As long as the job gets done, why do you have to care about your desk being clear? Personally, I clear up and make space each time I shift from task to task, but that's simply because I know I can't perform well with things scattered on my desk. My boss, who's sitting right opposite from me, doesn't clean up his desk while he's at work, he knows perfectly where things are kept.

So, I think it's just a matter of wether you would care about it or not.
    You're right @takafromtokyo. I usually know where everything is even if the desk looks a bit of a mess. It's only when I tidy things up, I usually can't find stuff!

My desk today is going to be a table at a restaurant for a couple of hours. As well as the best wifi in town, they serve very good breakfast!
  • torelliptorellip Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My office is not only 'my'. I share it with some colleagues that have a different opinion about what a orderly room is. Many years ago I used to argue with them, but I gave up. I only take care of my documents that are organized in folders with labels. I can't stand to work in a messy place and being in a hospital we have to follow strick rules about processing personal data, managing drugs and chemicals, handling needles and biological liquids as blood.
    I have some pictures of my kids sticked on a side of a cabinet. I can see them from my desk, but people sit in front of me can't. We hanged some posters that show the results of our researches. We use them to explain the patients how we work and what we do.

@Larry_the_Zebra, my living room, and not only this one, would horrify you. It takes a while to identify the walls between pictures, paintings and stuff I bought abroad. I can tell you why I do it. My home is like a nest to me, a safe place. I like to be surrounded by thinks that remind me happy moments of my life (my kids, my trips, my friends....a dinner, a party, a walk in the countryside....). I don't want to prove anything. It's for me, not for the other. It's like that song or that movie that remind you the first love. Isn't nice to listen or watch it again?

BTW my sister-in-law considers my way to decorate the home a bit kitsch; she never misses an opportunity to say that if my husband had married a chic woman, he would have lived in a chic house. I'd prefer my coloured and bizarre living room rather than her sophisticated, elegant and sad apartment :D
  • deyaadeyaa Posts: 14 ✭✭
    i wasn't paying attention till you asked :D
    well here is my desk items : cold bills , 2 cups , personal items " wallet, watch, phone, id" , some pens , screw driver " fixing my laptop :D " , papers everywhere and a pill board
    on the chair clothes :expressionless:
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited February 15
    @torellip I can understand if it is all sorts of momentos..but have you ever walked into someone's house to be confronted with HUGE corkboards covered ONLY with pictures of friends and family? And in the kitchen? Photos of friends and family everywhere. Not souvenirs, not paintings, not collections of bric-a-brac, not antiques or sea shells. Only photos photos photos photos photos photos photos in huge collages. That's what I mean. I don't think that's what your home looks like! A photo gallery dedicated exclusively to every friend you've ever had in your life. :)

It's like that song or that movie that remind you the first love. Isn't nice to listen or watch it again?

I've never been in love, so I wouldn't know. ;) But I'm not a very emotional or sentimental person, so....I'd probably listen to the song, but not feel or remember much.
    mpassala said:

My desk is like my second house, when i'm at work i have to get all items handy. I have a tons of papers on it and lots of pens, with all my notes. I also often have some hardware parts that i use for testing. I try to leave my desk clean, but i can't keep it tidy.

I like to have everything I need at my desk, too. I always get distracted if I have to go looking for something.
    Me too @GemmaRowlands. I hate it if I have to go and hunt for something.

I still haven't got my pictures fully sorted in my new flat @torellip. It doesn't help that some are still stranded in London and aren't easy to transport to France. I'm hoping later in the spring I might be able to rescue a few. Like you, I have collected a lot of things from travels that I like having around me.
  • mikkilinnmikkilinn Posts: 50 ✭✭
    My working place reveals a very unorganised, desultory person. For the most part, it's very cluttered, so no one except me can find anything there.
    @mikkilinn

But I think the most important thing is that actually you can find what you're looking for even if it seems impossible for someone else, isn't it?
  • mikkilinnmikkilinn Posts: 50 ✭✭
    > @takafromtokyo said:
    > @mikkilinn
    >
    > But I think the most important thing is that actually you can find what you're looking for even if it seems impossible for someone else, isn't it?

That's true. Creative mess, I call it.
    @mikkilinn

Haha! I love it!!
    mikkilinn said:

My working place reveals a very unorganised, desultory person. For the most part, it's very cluttered, so no one except me can find anything there.

Even if it messy, so long as you know where everything is, I guess that's all that matters - because it's YOUR workplace! :)
    I see many of us think that our workplace is kind of messy. While it's absolutely true that it's completely okay to be "messy" as long as you know where things are, I'm sure everyone has one or two episodes when it became really really hard to dig out the wanted item.

Could anyone share with us a little "search and rescue" story that happened around your desk?
    I suppose in theory since all my work focuses on my laptop or tablet, my workplace should be very simple and clutter-free.
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19
    I'm a software engineer. I have three PCs and two monitors and some other gadgets on and under my desk. The problem is the cords. The cord spaghetti under the desk is very annoying. My feet often get tangled in them while working.
    Three PCS @Yellowtail! Do you work on all three at the same time? I can imagine it must be a nightmare of cables under your desk.
    @Yellowtail

Haha! That's the kind of story I really love to hear! Don't you think it's rather ironic that you're dealing with highly digital world but your actual space is pretty much invaded by cords, which are kind of a representation of the analog world!

Have you ever noticed one or two of your shoes missing because I think they might be tangled up in the cord spaghetti!
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge @takafromtokyo
    Probably I need only one PC to do the current tasks. But for some reason, they want give us a lot of unnecessary machines. And yeah, it's really ridiculous how physically awkward they are. On top of the cables, they all are large tower PCs which take up much space, and one of them make strange noise as if it whined.