Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

What is your favorite animal, and why?

[Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
Obviously, mine is the zebra! I like zebras because they look like horses with a crazy fur pattern. Also, each zebra's stripes are unique. No two zebras have the same pattern of stripes, just like no two humans have the same fingerprints. Isn't that cool?

Comments

• FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,740 mod
    I love hairy cuddly animals. When I was young my parents had a German shepherd. He was very cute and perfectly trained. He was a real friend of mine. At this moment we can’t have a dog because my wife and I are both working. Until last year Thijn had a rabbit. That was a family friend too. Unfortunately it died. This caused enormous grieve in our household. We wait a little bit to buy a new rabbit. Now it’s winter and a rabbit has to get used to being outside. Maybe we decide again in spring. At this moment we only have a few fish. They’re not that cuddly, but nice after all.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    I love cats. They're soft. They're cute. They're fun to watch. It's fun to play with cats, too!
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    @ Frank Corrections: at this moment --> right now or currently.

Grieve, that's the verb, you want the noun, grief. It caused enormous grief in our household.

We wait a bit...maybe we decide. The simple present isn't the correct tense here, you need a future. We're going to wait a little bit...maybe we will decide again in spring.

About the fish -- they're not that cuddly, but they're nice ALL IN ALL. After all would be used if you doubted they were going to be good pets. "We bought some fish, which I wasn't too happy about, but they turned out to be nice after all."

Also, household is a rather formal word. You see it used in official texts like '1 out of 5 households owns a pet'. In an informal text, the word 'home' or 'family' is better. It caused enormous grief in our home/family. Otherwise, very well done!

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of the rabbit. I'm still not completely over the death of the dog I had as a child, and that happened about 20 years ago. We are often very attached to our animals, aren't we?

@takafromtokyo : Perfect! No errors...and cute, too! :) Do you have a favorite type of cat?
  • sauravkrsauravkr Posts: 23 ✭✭
    I like most of the birds and animals I have seen so far because they are the only one who listen to you without being bored
    I agree @ sauravkr! It's hard to bore an animal, isn't it? Maybe cats are the exception? They seem to get bored with people quickly. Your text is 100% correct! (one typo 'they are the only oneS')
    @sauravkr
    Well, in that case, I guess you don't want talking birds like parrots since they could talk back to you sometimes!

@Larry_the_Zebra
    I like zebras, too. I heard the zookeepers look at the zebras' stripe patterns to recognize each individual. Do you think the zebras also do that; recognize each other by their stripes?
    @takafromtokyo They do, yes! When female zebras are ready to give birth, they leave the herd and go to a secluded place. They stay there about 3 days with their new baby. This gives the baby enough time to learn two things, how to walk and its mother's stripe pattern. After that, a zebra can pick out its mother immediately in a herd of thousands of other zebras. (And the mother her baby, of course) I imagine, that is where the zookeepers got the idea from. (No errors in your text, Taka! 100% correct.)
  • ankitjainankitjain Posts: 21 ✭✭
    My favourite animal are cats. They look cute as well as scary. Eventhough I dont have cats but I would watch them nearby and wish I had this cat.
    @takafromtokyo Well, parrots are even more comfortable with homo sapiens. I have two of them. They are awesome very patient to hear and in fact, they respond in a very pleasant manner.
    @Larry_the_Zebra I don't have a cat. So I don't know much about the pathetic behaviour of cats.
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,675 mod
    I'm into cats too @takafromtokyo, from tiny moggies to the big cats like tigers, leopards and snow leopards. I feel privileged to have seen all three in the wild. They're just bigger versions of house cats really. Cats are not at all pathetic @sauravkr. They do have a mind of their own though and are very independent. I don't think that they get bored of people so much as they really couldn't care less. Dogs on the other hand are very dependent, which is probably why I much prefer felines much more.
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭✭
    I like and respect all the animals but I do afraid from all of them. Specially, the cat with blue eyes.It seems dangerous to me. :s :s
  • mheredgemheredge Wordsmith Here and therePosts: 25,675 mod
    Oh @mohit_singh you wouldn't have like my beautiful Siamese cat then. Jasmine had the deepest blue eyes. I used to accuse her of being a bit of a tart as she always flirted with guys and preferred men to women.

ae78fff9627fa964fd78f107b9b622c4.jpg
    > @ankitjain said:
    > My favourite animal are cats. They look cute as well as scary. Eventhough I dont have cats but I would watch them nearby and wish I had this cat.

My favourite animals are cats. Or, my favourite animal is THE cat. ...Even though I don't have cats, I would/used to watch them nearby and wish that I had that cat.

Use 'that cat' not 'this cat' because the cat is not near you in place or time. Well done!
    > @mohit_singh said:
    > I like and respect all the animals but I do afraid from all of them. Specially, the cat with blue eyes.It seems dangerous to me. :s :s

I like and respect all animals (no the) but I AM afraid OF all of them. Especially, the cat.... the rest is good!

Why are you afraid of animals?
    @mheredge , Jasmine is very cute. I love her too. Say it to her on my behalf.
    @Larry_the_Zebra , thank you for your correction.
    I am afraid of cat and lizards, I don't know, why?
    It's inherent!
    @mohit_singh
    I'm curious! Now, what happens when you spot a cat or a lizard? Do you have any particular physical reactions?
  • mpassalampassala Posts: 124 ✭✭
    My favourite animal is the dog. I like the way they interact with us, hence the relationship you will establish with them is unique, as the love they have for their owner. They suffer when alone and are very dependent on their owner, that's why they require a lot of commitment. I love big dogs, i had two german Shepherd when i was a boy, i loved them and i grieved so much when they died. Unfortunately, at the moment, i don't have a garden and my house is small, so that i can't take a dog anymore.
    I like cats too, the interaction is really different with them, but still funny. I just hold my neighbor cat for a short period, but i have never had one of my own.
  • Hat22Hat22 Posts: 4
    Now , it's a new experience with a goat . very lovely and respectful animal .
    it doesn't matter the weather conditions or type of nutrition.
    Always happy and cute.
    When i came she run to me to caress her head . It's a new kind of interaction and i 'am looking now for better ways in petting a goat.
    Hello @mpassala The corrections to your post...

> My favourite animal is the dog. I like the way they interact with us, hence the relationship you will establish with them is unique, as the love they have for their owner.

Your meaning is clear, but the phrasing is not quite right. Try this: I like the way they interact with us, and the relationship you establish with them is unique as IS the love they have for their owner. (no future tense, only present tense)

>so that i can't take a dog anymore. --> so that I can't keep/own a dog anymore

> I like cats too, the interaction is really different with them, but still funny.

Funny means comical. Something that makes you laugh. Perhaps you mean more 'fun' here? Something that is enjoyable?

> I just hold --> I have just held my neighbor cat --> my neighbor's cat for a short period, but i have never had one of my own.

Well done, post! I can really feel the emotional attachment you have to the animals around you. That comes across very clearly in your words! I also grieved for a long time when the dog I had as a child died. That's a very traumatic experience.
    Hello @Hat22 Here are the corrections to your text:

> When i came she run to me to caress her head .

In English, all animals are it. Only when you are being very specific do you say he or she. Unless it is very clear that the goat is a nanny goat (a female) use "it".

Your sentence should be: When I came, IT ran UP to me to caress ITS head.

>It's a new kind of interaction and i 'am --> I'm looking now for better ways in petting --> to pet a goat.

I had a goat as a pet when I was a child! I loved it very much. We didn't have enough land for it to be really happy, so we eventually gave it to a farmer who had a herd of goats and lots of land. I missed my goat and am always happy when I can see or interact with goats today!
  • orlandoorlando Posts: 2
    To me my favorite animal always is the dog, they are friendly and loyals. They always are waiting you when you left your home, and when you come, they are happier and make you feel better.
    @orlando Nice to see you here on this site. Welcome!

This is the Your Writing section, which means you will receive corrections to your posts here. In other sections, you won't.

> To me my favorite animal always is the dog, they are friendly and loyals. They always are waiting you when you left your home, and when you come, they are happier and make you feel better.

Correction:
    My favorite animal has always been the dog. They are friendly and loyal. They are always waiting for you when you leave your home and when you come back, they are even happier and make you feel better.

You are exactly right. Dogs are always happy to see their owners and that makes you feel good!
    @takafromtokyo said: @mohit_singh
    I'm curious! Now, what happens when you spot a cat or a lizard? Do you have any particular physical reactions?

I always try to maintain a distance with them. If something happens as you mention which is like a sudden get-together, I just start running with a tumultuous shouting.
  • pelouchepelouche Posts: 485 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29
    @takafromtokyo @Paulette @Michouxe @Janjard Years ago, my late husband and me had two cats, "Floche" (something you must try to grab on a childrens mill to get a free round) and "Baron". Floche died when she was eight and Baron stayed with us until the age of 11. It hurts a lot when you have to bury them.@pentaan In 1997 I met my actual partner and he had two dogs : a Bouvier, Zira (Vlaamse koehond - Flemish cow dog) and a Beauceron (Berger de Beauce). Our Zira died when she was eight years old. We got another Bouvier (Zira the 2nd). Then our Sultanna died at the age of 16. When our 2nd Bouvier died, again at the age of 8, we had our 3rd Bouvier, Sultanna the 2nd. As we both are getting older she propably will be our last dog. She's six now and we hope that she will stay in good health and live much longer then the other two Bouviers. Two breeds, two names :) @PeterRafael @markvanroode
    @pelouche
    One confirmation to begin with: I guess you meant "active partner" when you mentioned "actual partner", am I right?

Well, it's hard when your beloved ones are gone and you know that you've been left behind...
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭✭
    @pelouche @takafromtokyo @Michouxe @Janjard I love dogs cats. Currently, we have a dog, a Hovaward (a rescue dog), and a cat and it is really a dog and a cat (if you know what this means) They can not live together. Our dog is sometimes used to find people who have disappeared. Our cat is an ordinary house cat and has no pedigree, but she catches mice!
    @takafromtokyo Indeed I meant my 'present' partner. When you realy love your pets, loosing them is really hard. Even when one of our chickens die, for a couple of days I feel miserable.
  • DeriocDerioc Posts: 95 ✭✭
    Can we use any reason to prove a specific animal is our favorite?
    edited January 29
    @Deriv I don't understand your question very well. I don't like reptiles, I am afraid of them and there are a lot of other animals I like but whom I am afraid of, but I would never harm them. Greetings