Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

America first, the Netherlands second.

FrankFrank ModeratorPosts: 5,953 mod
edited January 26 in Humour
Take your time to watch this satirical video clip introducing the Netherlands to president Donald Trump ‘in a way he would understand’ . It's going viral at the moment and it's very funny. If you want, you can skip the short Dutch introduction.

This clip has been in the news worldwide
The satirical video clip introducing the Netherlands to president Donald Trump ‘in a way he would understand’ has been picked up by media around the world, including American website Buzzfeed and papers in France, Germany and Italy. The clip was downloaded 42 million times on the Zondag met Lubach facebook page and shared over half a million times. The DutchNews website crashed briefly on Tuesday because of the overwhelming interest in the video. In a reaction to the video’s plea to ‘make the Netherlands second’ a petition was started by an anonymous American saying: ‘The Netherlands has requested, within the scope of the new America first initiatives, to be simply: second. They don’t want us to forget about them. So the White House should give them a call. 2nd place is open, and they asked nicely before anyone else. We’ll make them great too. We can do it.’ 100,000 signatures are needed to elicit a response from the White House. So far the petition has been signed once.

Read more at DutchNews.nl: Reactions to Trump spoof video range from bemused to amused http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2017/01/reactions-to-trump-spoof-video-range-from-bemused-to-amused/

Comments

• [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic! And whoever is doing the American voice, they have the sound and the style of American English down perfectly!
  • mohit_singhmohit_singh Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭
    So funny! :D :D
    Mexico can be third ?? ;) ;) ;)
    I like the way he immigrated Trump. :D
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to check out the video!
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 721 ✭✭✭
    I learned a lot of funny things about Netherlands through the only 4 minutes video!
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,478 mod
    That was great. It's true. It was really great.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 27,041 mod
    Hahaha this is something Trump should definitely take note of. I expect he only thought that daffodils grew in The Netherlands.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,180 mod
    edited January 27
    I have seen it before.
    To be honest, I'm not really impressed by this video.
    Sorry.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm still looking for a chance to watch this.
    @april I feel guilty about how I feel about Brexit and Trump, but I'm just trying to bury my head in the sand and not even read or take any more notice about either disaster.
    It's better to keep talking about those issues and pull out all your guilt @mheredge. :D :D
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,953 mod
    edited February 2
    This is an interview with the imitator that dubbed the above mentioned video portraying Trumps voice. It's partly in Dutch - the interview itself is in English. @Lynne, @mheredge @Larry_the_Zebra @Yellowtail @mohit_singh @takafromtokyo

@Frank
    Whether they support him or not, Trump's accent is so distinctive that many people try to imitate it. I think there are millions of Trump imitators all over the world now.
    Yeah, He must have Imitators, after all, he cracked the US election. That's a big deal.
    @Yellowtail
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,327 mod
    I do like this video. But I still can't decide exactly how I feel about Trump. I am still really hoping that he will surprise us and be a fantastic leader.
    edited February 3
    Every second counts

America first, and after the Netherlands a lot of other countries want to be second.
    Who wins? The battle has begun. Here are a few examples:

Germany Second?

Denmark second?

Switzerland second?

Belgium second?

Lithuania third?

Portugal second?

@Lynne, @mheredge @Larry_the_Zebra @Yellowtail @mohit_singh @takafromtokyo @GemmaRowlands
    @Frank In the German video, they claim that they at ZDF Neo organized the making of all of these videos with late night shows in 12 different countries. I wonder if that's true, or if they are trying to make themselves sound important?

Although the German one isn't nearly as funny as the original, I am VERY glad to see the connection they drew between Trump and Hitler. I've always thought Americans as a whole have a strong leaning towards theocratic fascism and, at some point, would find their own Hitler. One of the reasons I left that place.
    > @Yellowtail said:
    > Whether they support him or not, Trump's accent is so distinctive that many people try to imitate it. I think there are millions of Trump imitators all over the world now.

You know, I didn't even get that they were doing Trump's voice. I'm American and he sounds like a normal, older American man to me. Millions and millions of older American men talk just like Trump does, it's nothing distinctive, really.
    edited February 4
    The original video was broadcast on the Dutch TV in the show Lubach op Zondag @Larry_the_Zebra All the video's from other countries are a reaction on the big succes the original video had. In some of the videos like the Lituanian version they refer to the Dutch original. The Lituanians are ready to accept a third place.

You can find all the video's from different countries collected on this site:
    http://www.everysecondcounts.eu/ There you can click on one of the flags in the circle and see the video.

I'm affraid you could be right that there's a connection between Trump and Hitler. Let's hope you have it all wrong this time. By all means this man (Trump) is a weird and possibly dangerous person. Good you have come to Europe (as long as we can stay united). Be welcome here!
    edited February 4
    @Frank Sorry, my post was not worded clearly enough....

The Germans claim that they organized all of the copy videos with other late night shows in 12 countries AS AN ANSWER to the Dutch original. It's clear the Dutch did it first!! In all the versions I can understand, they all mention the Dutch original. Nobody is claiming otherwise.

However, the Germans ARE claiming responsibility for all the other videos done and broadcast on late night shows in different countries. I wonder if that's true?

My vote is for Denmark second. I think they did the best, and funniest, answer video.
    I wonder if Trump has watched any of them? If so, is he trying to find ways to ban them from the US? What does he think of being made the laughing stock of the world? I think he's quite sensitive to criticism isn't he? Do you think he'll try to take it out on the countries who have mocked him? I suppose he has the sense not to go to war with the whole world.

mheredge wrote: »
    I wonder if Trump has watched any of them? If so, is he trying to find ways to ban them from the US? What does he think of being made the laughing stock of the world? I think he's quite sensitive to criticism isn't he? Do you think he'll try to take it out on the countries who have mocked him? I suppose he has the sense not to go to war with the whole world.

If he does not have the ability to face criticism then he would be no leader from my points of view. I think he need to take these video positively. I don't think this video are created by official body of the government's . So there is nothing that would be bothering him.
    I like how everyone seems to be jumping on the bandwagon @mohit_singh. My Singaporean friend is only upset Singapore hasn't yet made a video!

You're right, if Trump is oversentive he should never have taken on the job.

You can please some of the people some of the time bug you can't please everyone all of the time (I think Winston Churchill said this).
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,327 mod
    mheredge said:

I don't think Trump has enough hours in his day to watch all of the videos that have been made about him.. but I'm sure he understands the general idea that lots of people are laughing!

mheredge said:

I don't think Trump has enough hours in his day to watch all of the videos that have been made about him.. but I'm sure he understands the general idea that lots of people are laughing!
    Does it matter anymore? He already gets the chair! A political leader must have a great criticizer.And he is getting it. People is laughing on him or on the jokes! does not matter anymore. We could reduce the probability of heart Attack with such hilarious video. :D :D
    Is there a British version? Singapore has made one too.
  • ThijnThijn Posts: 114 ✭✭✭
    What a fantastic video!!!!!!
    This is priceless.

I got for India Second!! It's hilarious! :D

Presstitutes - great word @mohit_singh.
    @mohit_singh
    Don't piss the walls! India should make walls to keep the men away from the walls.