Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Test vs Exam

This discussion was created from comments split from: Ask Questions Here.

Comments

• HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 6,239 mod
    @Lynne hi,

Here is my question:
    What is the difference between ˋ testˋ and ˋ examˋ? Iˋm sure youˋve written something about it anywhere here, but I canˋt find it.

Today weˋve learnt in school about what makes a ˋ German Nomenˋ..The teachers were in university and are well educated.

One of the English teachers is still bossy. If I were a man, I would run far far away. :)
  • LynneLynne Your Teacher HomePosts: 9,476 mod
    An exam is a test, but not all tests are exams. :)

You take both to show your knowledge or skill in a particular subject.

Success in an exam results in some kind of certificate or qualification.

Tests on the other hand may result in a certificate or qualification, but not always.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 487 ✭✭✭
    > @Lynne said:
    > An exam is a test, but not all tests are exams. :)
    >
    Must a test always be a multiple-choice written task?
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    @Hermine An exam is a more official, or more important, test. It is normally given at the end of a course, or at the end of a year. Sometimes there is a certificate or diploma for passing it, sometimes it only serves to test what you have learned in a particular course so that you may continue learning.

Here are two examples:
    1) The entrance exam for Cambridge is very difficult. I hope I pass it so I can study archaeology there!
    2) I need to study/revise for my math exam next week. It's going to be 50% of my grade/mark in math!

A test is simply a quiz. It can be for fun, or it can be for a grade/mark.

Here are two examples:
    1) Did you take the 'How well do you know your boyfriend' test yet?
    2) My teacher gives us a test every Friday. I hate that.

@Practical_Severard No, a test can be anything, it doesn't even have to be written. Multiple choice, Fill-in-the-blank, essay and error correction are some of the tasks give on written tests.

Here is a good example of a non-written test: a test of manhood. This is when men do really stupid, painful or dangerous things to prove to their male friends how much of a man they are. That's a 'test of manhood'. :-)
    Thanks @Lynne and @Larry_the_Zebra.

edited February 4
    The kids in school have pretty often to take a test. The teachers want to know if the kids got the stuff into their brains.
    At the moment weˋre working on Possessive Pronomen in English and weˋre are learning about interesting facts about how lyrics are build in German lessions.

They take an exam two times in a semester (weˋve got two) in a main subject 1.) English, 2.) German-grammar and 3.) Mathematik. The exam has everything in theyˋve learnt by then.

Some kids are so nervous before the sheets of paper are handed out. Poor kids, I feel with them.
    When Iˋm allowed to thelp the boy, Iˋm in the class , we try to get good marks.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 26,992 mod
    How old are the children @Hermine? I think it is so hard for little kids to have all these tests. Like you say, they get very nervous. Do they have homework?