Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Duolingo, a language learning tool or a social meetingplace?

FrankFrank ModeratorPosts: 5,953 mod
edited January 20 in Technology and Games

One of the apps/websites with which you can learn languages is Duolingo. When you start with Duolingo you complete what they call the Duolingo Tree. In this tree you can do exercises to learn the language. After you have finished a tree in a language you receive a golden owl.

For people who have finished the tree and received the owl, Duolingo developed a tool which they called immersion. The purpose of this immersion was that Duolingo participants could translate English texts from the internet into their own language. Other participants could edit the translations to make it better. Some people have done this for quite a long time. This way friendships emerged among the people who had got to know each other via Duolingo. Small groups of people who knew each other arose and they used Duolingo to chat with each other in different languages - mostly English.

Now all of a sudden, Duolingo has decided to retire this Immersion tool.
See: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/20364950

That not only means that people can't translate anymore texts. This also means that these people from existing groups can't reach eachother anymore. When the news came about, people who were active on Duolingo for quite a while, were quite shocked that they couldn't have their regular contact with each other anymore.

My children and I also participated in a Duolingo group. After the immersion tool disappeared It took us some time to trace the people we knew and although we still haven’t found all of them, we've been able to find a few. I’ve invited them to participate in this forum. I made this topic to talk about this event.

What do you think about this?
Tagged:

Comments

• JanjardJanjard Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    It is a good initiative, Frank, to start a discussion on this place. Wherein the place also serves Duolingo buddies to meet each other.
    Since yesterday evening, the heading "activity" is again on Duolingo. So you can reconnect with your friends there. It may also here on this forum. The possibility of 'translate' will probably never return to Duolingo! Bad, very bad of Duolingo to cut off the possibility to satisfying our daily needs at once. Now teh most of us have withdrawal symptoms. This is an act against humanity!! What is the best option here on this forum to satisfy all our needs?
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 5,953 mod
    It's good that the "activity" on Duolingo is back again. This way you can find other people and invite them here. @Janjard, @pentaan, @pelouche, @Margreth59, @Paulette, @Michouxe, @Thijn, @leertip
  • MichouxeMichouxe Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it, writing with my D-L friends, but it's difficult to write large letter. I haven't much time and find not the way to all exercises understand.
  • MichouxeMichouxe Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    exercises to understand
  • pelouchepelouche Posts: 485 ✭✭✭✭
    @Frank and @Janjard, I regulary go back to activity on DL to speak with Dl friends who didn't sign in on Learn English. Just had a conversation there with Magda (Turnen) I think she also in interested in joining us here. JackElliot,I couldn't convince but we are still sending messages, also in English. Jack is a
    @Michouxe do you agree? Who is, just as I am, disappointed that Duolingo cut off the possibility to translate English texts into Dutch? @Paulette, is it you perhaps? And if you are disappointed, what can we do to let know it Duolingo, TiMe, @Thijn? And @leertip will you join me here? @pelouche, I am feeling myself so alone at this moment. Please help and tell what you think about it! You have done your upmost for two years long, isn't it? This is an act against humanity!
    @#Frank,Janjard Lets contunue: Jack is a very special friend for me. I call him "my poet". After a few conversation between us he replayed to another one with a poem. I cherish it!!!!!
    @Janjard, @micouxe @Frank indeed (Janneman), I call the removal of immersion a crime!!!! But we will stay together as long as we want to. On activity, here on Learn English and on Facebook. I don't know if you already read it but I am befriende with Mark an Margreth59 on facebook. The more sites we meet each other the morefun we make. The removal of Immerson isn't a loss it's the beginning of something new, we are going across the border. Greetings my dear Dl-friend :-)
    edited January 23
    Which people do you still want to envite here @Janjard, @pentaan, @pelouche, @Margreth59, @Paulette, @Michouxe, @leertip @markvanroode? Is it possible to reach them on DL?

You are all doing well. I only noticed that @Margreth59 and @leertip haven't posted anything until now. How can we help them?
    Margreth just contacted me on Facebook, and said that writing English is difficult for her. She started learning English not long ago. (Something tells me there is something wrong with the syntax of this sentence!!!!)
    Maybe you can tell @Margreth59 that she can do some easy exercises or games, just like @Michouxe did @pelouche. Maybe that way she can discover it's not that difficult at all.
    edited January 23
    Maybe these are good exercises for @Margreth59

Word Association
    This is a word game where you only have to put one word which has any association with the former word.
    http://learn-english-forum.org/discussion/13/word-association#latest

Sneaky Snake
    This one is easy too. You look at the last letter of the former word and you start the new word with it.
    http://learn-english-forum.org/discussion/2320/sneaky-word-snake-1#latest

New Members Introduction
    Here you can introduce yourself. That doesn't have to be difficult English.
    http://learn-english-forum.org/discussion/3/new-members-introductions#latest:

The question game
    Here you answer the last question with a new question.
    http://learn-english-forum.org/discussion/comment/188075#latest

We can all help her to succeed.
    Post edited by Frank on
    @Frank I'll send her a message :-)
    Did you see the petition about the disappearance of the immersion section on Duolingo? @Janjard, @pentaan, @pelouche, @Margreth59, @Paulette, @Michouxe, @leertip @markvanroode @Nickname_28?

You can share your opinion here:
    https://www.change.org/p/luis-von-ahn-don-t-turn-duolingo-into-a-game
  • leertipleertip Posts: 26 ✭✭
    The last two years i was everyday on duolingo, now i am lost, and i do not find my way on these new site, sorry
    Why don't you give it another try @leertip? You are only here for two days. The first days the others were also lost and now they're getting used to this. Try the games I mentioned above to begin with. It would be a pitty if you left - especially for the people with whom you have done Duolingo for such a long time.

If I see what you can write at this moment, your English is good enough. Of course it can not replace the immersion function on Duolingo. Consider it as something new and challenging.

What do you think @Janjard, @pentaan, @pelouche, @Margreth59, @Paulette, and @Michouxe?
    > @Frank said:
    > Did you see the petition about the disappearance of the immersion section on Duolingo? @Janjard, @pentaan, @pelouche, @Margreth59, @Paulette, @Michouxe, @leertip @markvanroode @Nickname_28?
    >
    > You can share your opinion here:
    Zie hierboven voor de link. Ik mag hier (nog) geen linken plaatsen. Waarom eigenlijk niet?

Gelukkig dat dit is opgezet!
  • Margreth59Margreth59 Posts: 17 ✭✭
    @Frank I have signed the petition.
    Must I pay for it?
    edited January 25
    No, I don't think so @Margreth59. I signed the petition too and then the message came that my vote would be stronger if I payed. Or something like that. I didn't pay. BTW I got the link for this petition from Jack (the Parrot).
    edited January 25
    What's the use of giving away Lingots @pelouche?
  • [Ex Member][Ex Member] Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    > @pelouche said:
    > Margreth just contacted me on Facebook, and said that writing English is difficult for her. She started learning English not long ago. (Something tells me there is something wrong with the syntax of this sentence!!!!)

Nothing wrong with it pelouche, 100% correct!!
    edited January 25
    I've noticed you've found your way as a teacher @Larry_the_Zebra! :)
    Have you already found the mails I've sent you?
    I used to be a teacher of English, so it's not so difficult. I've found the mails and I've written to some of the DL group...Thijn included.
    Thanks @Larry, I hadn't a good feeling writing the sentence about @Margreth59. Read you :-)
    edited January 25
    Thanks @Larry_the_Zebra . If Duolingo doesn't support e-mail contacts anymore, maybe you could invite your Spanish, Swedish and French contacts here too and start your own mail groups to talk with them in their languages.
    @Larry_the_Zebra I sent you a message 7:57PM but only mentionned @larry" and apparently that's not enough, but that's me, too fast, too little patience :-)
    You can contact people again on Duo. There are still some stability problems but you can post normally now. Immersion, however, seems to be gone for good.
    I understand you haven't been able to find your mailbox @Janjard.
    It's in the right corner, next to the globe.

If not, can you try this link:
    http://learn-english-forum.org/messages/all ?

Could you let me know if this works?
    Now I see you've already reacted on the mail I've sent all the Dutch speaking people, so it must be there @Janjard.

In the blue bar on top of your screen right, you se a few icons next to your name. First the globe, then the mailbox, than the star with which you can find you bookmarks and than the gear icon where you can edit your preferences.

The mailbox icon looks like a square box with an arrow on top.
This discussion has been closed.