Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
No shadow
No stars
No moon
No cars
November only believes
In a pile of dead leaves
And a moon
That's the color of bone.

No prayers for November
To linger longer
To remember.

November has tied me
To an old dead tree
Get word to April
To rescue me.

November's cold chain
Made of wet boots and rain
And shiny black ravens
On chimney smoke lanes
November seems odd
An act of God
November.

Adapted from Tom Waits - November

November comes
And November goes,
With the last red berries
And the first white snows.

With night coming early,
And dawn coming late,
And ice in the bucket
And frost by the gate.

The fires burn
And the kettles sing,
And earth sinks to rest
Until next spring.

November by Elizabeth Coatsworth
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Tell us about the book you're reading

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 5,727 mod
As it says in the title.. tell us about the book you're reading!

----

The one I'm reading at the moment (which I can't remember the name of, and I don't have it with me to check..) is about a group of friends who meet up after a number of years after losing a mutual friend. It is about how their lives have changed, and there are lots of brilliant stories about each of the people!

Comments

• LARAWIN554LARAWIN554 Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Now, I am reading about vortex. This is a term that means ; be happy. Have you ever heard for vortex. Do you like to read books about law of attraction? I already red one book from A.Bucevic, Croatian life coach. I also like pshyology and books about educating and self confidence.
  • nghia17989nghia17989 Posts: 13 ✭✭
    I'm reading 1984 at the moment. This novel was written by one of the most prominent British author in 20th century - George Orwell. This story took place in a distant future and embraced the idea of a dystopian society where Big Brother, the supreme figure, controlled everything.
    I'm currently on chapter 4 where the protagonist is describing how the authority rectify historical information in news paper and historical books to manipulate the information.
    This book was also regarded as one of Orwell's finest work. You guys should check it out.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,727 mod

Now, I am reading about vortex. This is a term that means ; be happy. Have you ever heard for vortex. Do you like to read books about law of attraction? I already red one book from A.Bucevic, Croatian life coach. I also like pshyology and books about educating and self confidence.

I have a degree in psychology so the law of attraction is something I have studied in depth. I do find it incredibly interesting to read about, the way that certain people are attracted to some but not others.
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 6,065 mod
    I like to read English books especially non-fiction. I read them for study and for fun. I also read books to inspire me in writing myself. I write articles and books.

Do you ever read English books @pelouche? What kind of books do you like most @Paulette? You said you ever read one of my books @Janjard. Which one did you read? I understand you like science a lot @pentaan. Are most books you read about science too?
    edited January 23

I have a degree in psychology so the law of attraction is something I have studied in depth. I do find it incredibly interesting to read about, the way that certain people are attracted to some but not others.

The law of attraction is very interesting matter @GemmaRowlands. However, when you talk about it in relation to your psychology study, I'm wondering. Is there any scientific prove of the existence of the law of attraction? Many people consider this to be a bit woolly matter. What do you think colleague @Bubbly?
  • pelouchepelouche Posts: 485 ✭✭✭✭
    At the end of the sixties, early seventies I read some English books written by Harold Robbins the first was Dreams Die First followed by Tycoon, The Pirate, Inheritans, A stone for Danny Fisher. I was driving towards his books because I read that he experienced everthing he wrote about, and that's even more then one should expect. And then, don't ask me why, never read English books again. Perhaps I should start reading English again, now I read so many texts on Immersion.
    Now I see this wasn't the question. The book I finished a couple of days ago was 'Pijn' written by Pieter Aspe. I suppose the most important is that we are writing English or am I wrong? Greetings :-)
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 7,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the moment I am reading the Dutch novel from Jan van Mersbergen ( a rising star of modern Dutch literature) "De Ruiter" it is a novel about the clash of two generations, but also between past and present, town and country, man and nature. The only unifying factor is the old horse in the pasture. The novel has not been translated yet, but another book of him is already translated "Tomorrow Pamplona": a story about anger, aggression and the desire for intimacy. @Frank, @GemmaRowlands, @pelouche
    Did you ever read English books apart from school @Paulette?
    I read a lot of books, but always Dutch. I try to read English texts from Time magazine. @Frank
    After you've practiced a lot you could certainly try to read more in English @Paulette. However, I must say I've been reading a lot in English but I still need a dictionary to search for words. English is such a rich language!
    Frank said:

The law of attraction is very interesting matter @GemmaRowlands. However, when you talk about it in relation to your psychology study, I'm wondering. Is there any scientific prove of the existence of the law of attraction? Many people consider this to be a bit woolly matter. What do you think colleague @Bubbly?
    There have been a lot of studies and yes, there does seem to be some evidence. Attraction, when you think about it, is the one thing that keeps the human race going, so it makes sense!
  • I'm reading at the moment "The Beach" from Alex Garland. There is also a movie based on this book with Leonardo DiCaprio. It's about a group of backpackers who have heard about beach on Thailand on a desolated island untouched by tourism where international community lives. They eventually find the beach and become part of that strange community.
    The story is told from the first-person perspective and we see a lot about backpacking culture, struggle to maintain unspoiled society and interesting human interaction.
    It is adventurous book and it is also about human psychology.

I'm reading at the moment "The Beach" from Alex Garland. There is also a movie based on this book with Leonardo DiCaprio. It's about a group of backpackers who have heard about beach on Thailand on a desolated island untouched by tourism where international community lives. They eventually find the beach and become part of that strange community.

The story is told from the first-person perspective and we see a lot about backpacking culture, struggle to maintain unspoiled society and interesting human interaction.

It is adventurous book and it is also about human psychology.

That sounds interesting. I love hearing stories of people who travel, because it can be really fascinating to hear about everything that happens in other countries.
    @GemmaRowlands The Beach is a wonderful book, I readed also. It is a virtuoso written story about everything you ever dream about. It is a very exciting tropical adventure.
    Paulette said:

@GemmaRowlands The Beach is a wonderful book, I readed also. It is a virtuoso written story about everything you ever dream about. It is a very exciting tropical adventure.

I think I will have to add it to the list of books I would like to read. The list is getting longer, though, because I just don't have time to read books!
    @GemmaRowlands
    Reading is a great hobby, you experience so many adventures and learn about many other cultures.
    Now I'm reading "The Girl on the Train". It is a psychological thriller novel by British author Paula Hawkins. The story is told from the point of view of three women. They tell us about their lifes. It is a very exciting book and the characters are complex. This is more than a good crime novel at all levels.
    Paulette said:

@GemmaRowlands

Reading is a great hobby, you experience so many adventures and learn about many other cultures.

Now I'm reading "The Girl on the Train". It is a psychological thriller novel by British author Paula Hawkins. The story is told from the point of view of three women. They tell us about their lifes. It is a very exciting book and the characters are complex. This is more than a good crime novel at all levels.

I have read that book and I LOVE it. There is now a film about it, too, but I haven't been able to watch that yet as I have been far too busy.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,081 mod
    Im reading a Jack Reacher novel by Lee Childs. I think Tom Cruise plays this character in a movie version of the book.
  • beproficientmanishbeproficientmanish Posts: 35 ✭✭
    I am reading Inner Engineering books for bring improvement with in myself.
    This book has written by Sadhguru who is very famous in India & USA for his spiritual knowledge. This book explain how should one improve his/her habits. Fantastic book for those who want to a path of self enquiry.
    The book I started to read yesterday is " Thee Scarpetta Factor", the Dutch version, written by Patricia Cornwell,

The Volkskrant, commented : Cornwell writes from the deepest conviction that the reality surpasses the atrocity in nightmares.
    @pelouche @GemmaRowlands Reading a book will bring relaxation and tension together example by the dreaming away in the world of the story when you want to help by detecting of the perpetrator.
    @Paulette @mheredge @beproficientmanish @GemmaRowlands In 1997, I read the book "1984" written by George Orwell. It was written in 1948. It was a vision on the western world anno 1984, a world in which an individual perishes in a prospectless battle in a totalitarian reign (regime????). Call it "big brother is watching you".:After The Scarpetta Factor I am going to read it again. In 1997 it frightened me!!!!. @PeterRafael @Janjard, why don't you give it a try? @Frank @takafromtokyo.
    edited January 30
    @pelouche I also read the book. It was fantastic, as literary political fiction and utopian science-fiction, it is a classic novel in content, plot and style.
    pelouche said:

The book I started to read yesterday is " Thee Scarpetta Factor", the Dutch version, written by Patricia Cornwell,

The Volkskrant, commented : Cornwell writes from the deepest conviction that the reality surpasses the atrocity in nightmares.

My mother has read that book, and she said it is good. In fact, she has kept it for me, so it is on the shelf just waiting for me to pick it up!
    edited January 30
    Did you already read "1984"?. After 20 years I am going to read it again!
    @pelouche @GemmaRowlands I also read the book 1984. It was fantastic, as literary political fiction and utopian science-fiction, it is a classic novel in content, plot and style.
  • takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands
    Haha, your mother has kept the book for you to read, and now for whom are you keeping it to read?

Well, I have a lot of books and magazines and they have completely filled up my shelf. In fact, there's practically no space left that some books are hidden behind some books. You never know what you might find in there!

@pelouche
    Thanks for your recommendation!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,081 mod
    @pelouche, @Paulette you might also like Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Published before 1984 in 1932 it is set in London in 2540. The the novel talks about reproductive technology, sleep-learning, psychological manipulation and conditioning that is used to change society.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_New_World
    @mheredge @pelouche
    I read it translated into Dutch "Heerlijke nieuwe wereld" (Maurice Mok, 1971) and the book begins by explaining that the title is taken from the words that speaks Miranda in The Tempest by William Shakespeare.
    O wonder!
    How many goodly creatures are there here!
    How beauteous mankind is!
    O brave new world,
    That has such people in it!