Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Random thoughts and topics

takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 12 in Your Writing
【for English learners】
Write whatever came to your mind in English.
When a thought occurs in your mind, that's the time when you want to practice English.
Try to express it in English.

【for native English speakers】
Could you kindly correcct the mistakes that us leaners make in English?
Those could be grammatical errors or misusages of words.
We appreciate any help and advice! Thank you in advance.

Happy learning, everyone!

Comments

• takafromtokyotakafromtokyo Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭
    When I came to my parking lot to get my car, I noticed the moon hanging low in the sky. The sky ws still very dark but the moon was shining so brightly. It was so beautiful. For a moment, I thought I was looking at a supermoon.
    I'm stuck in traffic. A great opportunity to listen to Car Talk.

Do you have any radio shows or podcasts that you like very much?
    OMG! We only have 30 minutes to finish our breakfast, take a bath, change our clothes, and hit the road. I don't know how we're going to fit them all in!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,171 mod
    Misuse of the English language @takafromtokyo (not misusages).

It's good to void repeating the same word too much: the moon was shining so brightly. It was so beautiful. The second 'so' could be replaced by very, extremely, or any other superlative to give the same meaning.
    @mheredge
    Thanks for your advice! They are very helpful.
    I bound the old magazines and documents with a cord today. I'm going to put them out for waste paper recycling in a few days.
    This morning I woke up to realize that I still remembered the phrase "bind something with a cord", and it made me happy. Now, whenever I see something bound with a cord, a rope, or anything like that, I can practice saying the phrase.

What new English words and phrases did you learn yesterday? Could you share one with us?

Happy learning, everyone!!

( For the new members in the forum, I do strongly recommend you to try remembering new words through actions. It helps you increase your vocabulary that you can actually use when speaking English. )
    I learned a new word "torrential" for describing rain. In case you might not know it, it means the rain is very, very heavy and is making a lot of noise as the raindrops hit the things or the ground.

I've been in torrential rains several times. If you're in a safe place, it's not that bad. You could rather enjoy the occasion. But it was really scary on the highways. The road had turned into almost like a river, and there were some reckless drivers who refused to slow down.
    If a rain can be torrential, can waterfalls be torrential, too? Some of them should surely make a big noise, and they are made of water.
    edited January 16
    Waterfall and torrents can be torrential @takafromtokyo (this is where the word comes from).

Rain can also be bucketing down or it can be raining cats and dogs.
  • OksNikOksNik Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited January 17
    So interesting that something we take as standard thing.
    There are many things in the world, but we are in "Random thoughts and topics" here.
    So I'm sitting in front of computer now and I've thought about "QWERTY" keyboard :)
    Someone created it once and most of us use it by default.
    Sometimes efforts to enhance something or changed by options, but in general, taken mostly as standard.
    Do you agree?
    @OksNik
    I didn't know the "standard" keyboards were called "qwerty" keyboards. I've never questioned why the keys are placed in the way they are placed now. But now that you mentioned it, I'm curious why they were placed like this. But I guess there are many other things that we are simply given and we don't question about it. We take those things as granted.
    edited January 17
    @takafromtokyo
    Yes, a question about why we take most of things as granted is a rhetorical question.
    It was only my random thoughts :)
    @OksNik
    We take most of things as granted, but it'll be really interesting when you start questioning what's behind them, isn't it?

Right now, I'm on a train sitting on a seat. I don't give a thought usually about why the seats are designed in the way they are designed. The seat manufacturing company and the train company must have done numerous meetings to reach the design we see today. We usually take it for granted and lose our curiosity, but once we start looking into it, I'm sure there a re a lot of interesting stories behind it.
    @takafromtokyo
    Yes, totally agree. It's exciting to think about it sometimes.
    I'm going to Kyoto on a business trip today. I'll be staying in Osaka. Can't wait to drink out with my customer tonight!
    edited January 19
    @OksNik
    I didn't know the "standard" keyboards were called "qwerty" keyboards. I've never questioned why the keys are placed in the way they are placed now. But now that you mentioned it, I'm curious why they were placed like this. But I guess there are many other things that we are simply given and we don't question about it. We take those things as granted.

The French have their own keyboard and it has a few letters in different places (trust the French to be different). It's very disconcerting to try to type quickly as if you are not used to it, gobbledigook comes out.

I'm a bit worried about you drinking out your client! I hope you didn't drink him under the table but mean you that you just were taking him out for a drink.
    @mheredge
    Haha! This is really good. So, you don't say "drink out" like "dine out" or "eat out"? Yeah, I just took him out for a drink. We drank too much, though. I should've restricted myself from drinking too much. It was really hard traveling all the way back from Osaka to Tokyo early in the morning the next day.

I love this word "gobbledygook"!
    It's pathetic how Trump tries to "win" over Obama in the size of inaugural crowd and the TV ratings figures, when in fact he should be focusing on more important matters.
    Life is too short to spend on proving how great right you are, how clever you are, or how great you are, when instead we should be sharing, hugging, and encouraging one another.
    I always think too much, and it really slows me down.
    I want to change it.

I'll add this to my goals of this year.
    "Let go of worries and take action!"
    I'm going to take a bath now. To relax in the hot water is one of my favorite ways to release stress and refresh my body. I prefer rather hot over warm.
    I'm stuck in traffic. I wonder if there's a real solution that can actually reduce traffic congestion in Tokyo. Some experts say people should use public transportation more, but we all know that they are all overloaded and packed during rush hours, so I don't think it's going to work.
    Life is too short to spend on proving how right you are, how clever you are, or how great you are, when instead we should be sharing, hugging, and encouraging one another.

I love Japanese baths. Soaking in hot water is a lovely way to relax.
    @mheredge
    Oh, yes, indeed!
    I wish everyone could come to Japan and experience the hot bath! We have many good hot springs, too! People can refresh themselves.
    The temperature has dropped drastically in just about an hour. They said it's going to be cold in the evening even though the temperature might climb to a20 degrees Celsius in the noontime. It's amazing how accurate the weather reports are these days!
    At noon (midday) or in the afternoon @takafromtokyo.
    @mheredge
    Oh, thanks for your correction!
  • mdshamsadmdshamsad Posts: 87 ✭✭
    Today I have wasted time in chatting with friend I am thinking about to less use of social media like whats App, Facebook etc
    Is it possible to control on use of social media specially whats App? I am thinking......
    @mdshamsad
    I don't use What's App and Facebook but I'm leading a normal life. I think you can do without them too if you choose so!