Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
Don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists:-
http://www.englishradio.be/musicevents/calendar.html

Sausage rolls and apple balls

aprilapril ModeratorPosts: 10,452 mod
The most sold snacks today in Antwerp must be sausage rolls and apple balls.
We eat them on the first Monday in January and we call it Lost Monday.
I still have to eat mine at this moment.

Tagged:

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 28,504 mod
    You had me worried for a moment @april. I had visions of sausage rolls stuffed with apple and sausage. That said, the British are into stewed apple served with their roast lamb.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,452 mod
    Oh I like those kind of dishes, @mheredge .
    Roasted chicken with applesauce or chicken breast with peaches etc. :)
    BTW my apple ball was yummy. :D
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made it one, saute pork with apples. It tasted good, but I don't have the courage to make it again. @mheredge

They look delicious. @april
    I like apples in cakes, as sauce or in dishes, except to eat them just as apples. :D
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭
    I have eaten sausage rolls. But I haven't eaten the apple balls, and I can't imagine how it tastes. Is that a whole apple deep-fried with some coating?
    It's a whole apple wrapped in pastry and then baked in the oven, @Yellowtail .
    @april
    I see. Then it seems to taste like an apple pie. It must be delicious anyway. :)
    Yes, @Yellowtail, it tastes like an apple pie and it's delicious.
    I like that bit sour taste of the apple.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 5,917 mod
    I love sausage rolls. I think they're great to have as a snack. I eat them quite a lot, and they have them a lot at parties in England.
    I'm not sure if I have ever tried apple balls, but I have had sausage rolls. I'm not a big fan. Scotch eggs are eggs enveloped in sausage (which I like even less).

I discovered today that Vietnamese hotpots use pineapple with fish, prawns, clams and vegetables. In Thailand ginger, lemon grass and kaffir leaves are used rather than the fruit itself.
    edited January 10
    Is this Scotch Egg, @mheredge ?

We call it Bird's nest.
    I like it, but I've never made it myself.

I love sausage rolls. I think they're great to have as a snack. I eat them quite a lot, and they have them a lot at parties in England.

Nowadays, I make it myself, using Ready to Use pastry though.
    So I can make them in a mini size.
    They sell them in a quite big size in the bakery.
    edited January 11
    I can't manage a big sausage roll @april though I have been known to eat mini sausage rolls.

In Asia if you ordered birds nest you'd possibly get served soup made from a bird's nest!

File:Bird%27s-nest-soup-Miri-Malaysia.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edible_bird's_nest
    edited January 11
    mheredge said:

In Asia if you ordered birds nest you'd possibly get served soup made from a bird's nest!

Have you ever tasted it? They are just swallow's saliva. I really don't get why people are so crazy about it.
    Actually, it tastes just like Cellophane noodles. It's a good substitute for it; besides, it's delicious and economical.

I have had glass noodles @Shiny03. Are they the same?
    I never knew you ate glass noodles. :open_mouth:
    I like that, @Shiny03 , but I prefer frying it like common noodles or rice vermicelli.
    I see, then, yes they are the same noodles.
    I just love noodles @april and @Shiny03. I find rice very boring, but somehow noodles made with rice are much more interesting to eat.
    I have an issue about your comment 'rice is very boring'. You should taste the different varieties of Japanese rice. If you got the right rice, a bowl of rice with a knot of butter and soy sauce would be enough. You should take a rice journey here someday. @mheredge

Maybe @Shiny03 but I'm not totally convinced. I'm looking forward to going back to a place where I had dinner a couple of days ago. It's only a few minutes walk from where I'm staying now too.
    edited January 13
    Actions speak louder than words. @mheredge Come here again and I'll prove it to you.
    BTW, what did you eat when you were here last time?
    I suppose I did eat some rice @Shiny03 but noodles too. I'm probably being unfair, but in Nepal it's mountains of rice for every meal. When I'm in the city I have some choice, but in the countryside there's no alternative. In a couple of weeks I will be eating rice twice a day for seven days :|
    To be honest, I am not so fond of that sort of long-grain rice in Nepal which is so different from what we have here. (or I just don't get used to it?) @mheredge
  • madhugmadhug Posts: 778 ✭✭✭
    I tasted sausage roles, its delicious but I didn't tasted apple balls. I like chicken roles
    It's nothing special @Shiny03. I prefer basmati rice but even that, I find it fairly boring.
    I think I'll never be able to change your mind..@mheredge
    We have a dab hand here who knows rice very much. If I could introduce him to you, it might help you to explore the exciting world of rice.
    He is 83. You got to hurry here or you might miss the change to have the rice he cooked.
    http://gigazine.net/news/20140329-gekotei/

I like sticky rice, but it's not so easy to get hold of except in special shops in France. I guess it's because in Europe people just eat so much rice. People there tend to eat potatoes instead. There are quite a few types of potatoes - white floury ones are best for mash potatoes and little Jersey potatoes are nicest just boiled and served with a pat of butter.

recipe-image-legacy-id--560820_11.jpg?itok=GzTopui6
    I remember there was once a rice shortage in Japan (I found it was in 1993, from a quick search). The government decided to import rice from Thailand as an emergency. But Thai rice was not really to the taste of the people, because it's too dry to match Japanese meals. So unfortunately Thai rice has remained in our kind of unpleasant memories.
    But of course I'm sure when it comes to Thai curry, we have no choice but Thai rice.